LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview looks real good, looking forward to it. Hope there's a way for us non-foxtel people to watch it either online or pirating it.

Good news, its a CH7 show so mainstream Australia will get to watch, and with his massive following it will be in a good time slot. This might be the tipping point for the low carb/paleo way to really take off.

Only carbohydrates knock you out of ketosis, fats good or bad require ketones to be turned into energy.

EDIT- and excessive consumption of protein, as some (not sure exactly which) aminos acids can be converted into glucose through gluconeogenesis

To much protein keeps my keto numbers around 1, it wasnt until i kept a food log for a week that i realised i was consuming way to much, and when i cut back (by half) my average keto numbers went up to the high two's.

To much protein keeps my keto numbers around 1, it wasnt until i kept a food log for a week that i realised i was consuming way to much, and when i cut back (by half) my average keto numbers went up to the high two's.
Any negative side effects? What was/is your protein intake in grams?

I don't want to run a marathon so the premise of the article doesn't apply to me anyway - why do these articles assume everyone is looking for the same thing?

I have found that if I want to add weight, it is easiest to add a little amount of carbs to the diet i.e. porridge on Saturday morning. On a largely LCHF diet adding weight is very difficult, although I have been getting slightly stronger at the same weight (86-87kgs).

I don't want to run a marathon so the premise of the article doesn't apply to me anyway - why do these articles assume everyone is looking for the same thing?

I have found that if I want to add weight, it is easiest to add a little amount of carbs to the diet i.e. porridge on Saturday morning. On a largely LCHF diet adding weight is very difficult, although I have been getting slightly stronger at the same weight (86-87kgs).
The author of that article has on her web page an article on Blood Type diets and how they raise your performance. Than in its self shows how clueless she is.

The author of that article has on her web page an article on Blood Type diets and how they raise your performance. Than in its self shows how clueless she is.
Thoroughly and utterly debunked multiple times.
As much as I don't like the "one diet type fits all" mantra, there has to be a limit on claims.

Very good article in today's New York Times.

A Call for a Low-Carb Diet
By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
SEPT. 1, 2014
People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

Very good article in today's New York Times.

A Call for a Low-Carb Diet
By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
SEPT. 1, 2014
People who avoid carbohydrates and eat more fat, even saturated fat, lose more body fat and have fewer cardiovascular risks than people who follow the low-fat diet that health authorities have favored for decades, a major new study shows.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html

While I'm largely in favour of a low-carb diet for most people, that study really wasn't great in a lot of ways.

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That link there explains it pretty well.

Still, at least it will spread the word for people that fats aren't bad.

While I'm largely in favour of a low-carb diet for most people, that study really wasn't great in a lot of ways.

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

That link there explains it pretty well.

Still, at least it will spread the word for people that fats aren't bad.

Just another wanna be celebrity Vegan (25 years) Doctor. All that article was about how superior and clever he thinks he is. Read though any of his blog articles and this is constantly posted "although I very much doubt many of you actually read it" Yes he is smarter than the rest of us.

His only points in that puff piece were 30% fat isnt a low fat diet which is fair enough but even admitted he didnt see their actual diet recommendations, and the ridiculous bit about the low carbers eating less so Ta-da... that's why they lost more weight. Credibility gone right there. Ask any low carber what the common denominator is and its satiety. Diets high in quality fat fill you up and their is no need for constant feeds like low fat/high carbers need. He is well known long time anti Paleo/Low carb and has been pushing a Vegan agenda for years even though he includes minimal animal and modest dairy (all low fat of coarse) funny part is he always slips in how he basically supports the concept of Paleo/LCHF in most of his attacks on them.

He or his wife must have another book coming out soon as this is when he pops up most to grab a few more attention seeking headlines, but then again he could be just trolling for more publicity, money and credibility for NuVal (just as bad as our stupid heart tick of approval) and its so hypocritical they include animal product in their books and NuVal as they no doubt do not want to alienate the grater population and their wallets.

Its interesting to look at his company NuVal and some of their "trade ups" product replacements for better health. This is for his Macaroni and Cheese
  • 2 Regular Eggs, Beaten, trade up to Egg Beaters Original Liquid Egg Product. Liquid egg product with fat and cholesterol removed? Whats wrong with real eggs?
  • Butter traded up to Cholesterol Free Spread. Margarine.. Haha
  • Vegetable Oil traded up to Canola oil. No upgrade there, why didnt he say coconut, macadamia or similar? Answer below.
He also gives NuVal scores for Non Fat Skim Milk a perfect score of 100, wow. Rates Skinless Turkey breast at 73 and Pork Baby Back Ribs at 36 and poor old ground Sirloin at 46? and the funniest of all is Bananas 100, Blueberries 100, Grapefriut 100, Mango 100, Pineapple 100, all fair enough for a Vegan BUT gives Coconuts 24, thats amusing when you consider he gives Wonder Classic White Sandwich Bread a 28.

Over to his nutritionist wife and business partner, here are some ingredients listed from her latest diet cookbook.
white sugar, fat free powdered milk, fat-free buttermilk, nonfat dry milk, fat-free yogurt, low-fat granola, Confectioners' sugar, packed dark brown sugar, canola oil.

So at the end of the day his article is just attention seeking and something to calm the nerves of all his whacky vegan followers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I probably exaggerated that it was wrong in 'a lot of ways', but some LCHF people are going on as absolute proof that its the best, when it was a good diet (LCHF) vs some pretty bad guidelines (I realise they're the guidelines that are preached, but I think we can all agree that their crap).

Stuart Phillips wrote a small piece about it, where he's kind of saying that both diets in the study weren't great.

https://twitpl.us/t/Kwfb

He or his wife must have another book coming out soon as this is when he pops up most to grab a few more attention seeking headlines,
Haha, look what he just posted on his facebook
Dr. David L. Katz shared a link.
5 hours ago
Professional colleagues, delighted to announce third edition of Nutrition in Clinical Practice, due out next wk-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451186649/ref=pe_355450_123143620_em_1p_0_ti

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dr-David-L-Katz/114690721876253?sk=timeline

The seppo in our office keeps going on to us every morning tea how bacon here is much different to the USA or Canada's bacon. And that the closest thing we have to their bacon here is what we call speck.

I'd be interested to see the above process for Aussie bacon..

Here's a random question, what would be the effect of going low carb but not low enough to enter ketosis and continuing to stay out of ketosis?

I assume you would have less energy as your body isnt burning fat for fuel, but at the same time you arent consuming enough carbs as fuel??
So therefore would I be right in saying you should just either aim to enter ketosis when doing low carb, or if not just go moderate carb intake?

Its not an enquiry for me personally as I am loving being in ketosis/LCHF, but have had people asking me about low carb but they dont have the necessary level of dedication or control to stay in ketosis for long enough to really see the benefits of it.

Here's a random question, what would be the effect of going low carb but not low enough to enter ketosis and continuing to stay out of ketosis?

I assume you would have less energy as your body isnt burning fat for fuel, but at the same time you arent consuming enough carbs as fuel??
So therefore would I be right in saying you should just either aim to enter ketosis when doing low carb, or if not just go moderate carb intake?

Its not an enquiry for me personally as I am loving being in ketosis/LCHF, but have had people asking me about low carb but they dont have the necessary level of dedication or control to stay in ketosis for long enough to really see the benefits of it.

I would say overall caloric intake would be the determining factor and then come down to physiology of each individual. If you are in caloric deficit, i'm not sure whether it would be better or worse if you are eating moderate or low carb, either way training will be harder because you are in deficit. However if you are eating ta maintenance or in slight calorie surplus the simple fact you are eating enough calories should give you enough energy for a good work out. Once again it will come down to the individual on how many carbs to consume. Only way to find out is to experiment with different levels of carb intake.

Engaging in an IIFYM vs LCHF diet debate on a zealously IIFYM Facebook page.

Loose jimmies errywhere :):thumbsu:

Even posted a BP coffee pic for teh lols.
234.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back