Other Field Hockey Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the thing about Australia. Our domestic pathways into the national team is second to none in just about every sport.

Wow what a tense final. You couldn't help but feel the Dutch would nick it in the end, but thankfully the Kookaburras got up.

DSC04879.jpg

http://www.metacafe.com/w/9534602

Wow what a tense final. You couldn't help but feel the Dutch would nick it in the end, but thankfully the Kookaburras got up.

My impression was that the better team beat the better goalie. ( OK, an awesome goalie)

Haha is anyone else watching the Australia vs Belgium game at the Hockey World League live on Fox Sports right now? The teams were lined up for the national anthems and instead of playing Advance Australia Fair they played the New Zealand national anthem. You should have seen the disgust on the Kookaburras players faces. :D:thumbsu:

Belgium up early 1-0. This whole Hockey World League thing is new so I haven't got my head around it yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another sensational Jamie Dwyer goal to win the Melville Toyota League GF in Perth in extra time...

Wierd s**t from the Champions trophy (mens)

After the pool round, all teams play off in the 'crossover' round, with seeds from their position in their pool.
So it's 1V4, 2V3, 3V2 & 4v1.

All 4 games had an 'upset'! (and all by 2 goal margins)

So the teams in the semi's are the ones who came 3rd & 4th, while the teams that came 1st & 2nd are playing off for 5-8.

Luckily for Aus, we came 3rd in Pool A, so we're playing Germany (4th in pool B), with the winner to play the winner of India (3rd in B) and Pakistan (4th in A) for the trophy...

Wierd s**t from the Champions trophy (mens)

After the pool round, all teams play off in the 'crossover' round, with seeds from their position in their pool.
So it's 1V4, 2V3, 3V2 & 4v1.

All 4 games had an 'upset'! (and all by 2 goal margins)

So the teams in the semi's are the ones who came 3rd & 4th, while the teams that came 1st & 2nd are playing off for 5-8.

Luckily for Aus, we came 3rd in Pool A, so we're playing Germany (4th in pool B), with the winner to play the winner of India (3rd in B) and Pakistan (4th in A) for the trophy...
Shows the idiocy of having all teams progress to quarter finals. Doesn't matter what happens in your pool matches so long as you can win when the knockouts start.

Shows the idiocy of having all teams progress to quarter finals. Doesn't matter what happens in your pool matches so long as you can win when the knockouts start.

True, but this is a very extreme example.

Australia beat Belgium 2-1 in the final of the World League Finals tournament last night.

It's a relatively new competition, this is the first time we have won it.

But the better game was the 3rd-4th playoff between India and the Netherlands. Was nothing much special in the first half, Netherlands led 2-0 at half time and looked like they would go on with it. By the time it was down to ten minutes or so to go it was 2-1 Netherlands. From there it somehow went to India leading 5-3 in the last few minutes, then 5-5 and a penalty shootout to determine the winner!

The chasm between club hockey and the elite level is huge. As a keen player I just wish there was more of it to watch.

Dwyer's Athens winner was like an AFL flag to me before the dogs actually won one (obviously now they have hockey pales in comparison) but sadly there's not enough viewer access to good hockey.

I see some games are going fta in south Aus now though on channel 44. Good start

Foxtel show some good stuff sometimes, in particular the India League which runs every January and has heaps of Aussies playing in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back