news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't as bad as people are talking it up to be. He should've done more to put it beyond doubt. He convincingly won the 1st, clearly lost the 3rd and really started to show that he was gassing out in the 2nd. It was a 50/50 decision IMO.
A couple of mates and I were astounded the decision went the other way... He was stiff, and the first round should have been a 10 - 8 round in his favour.

It wasn't as bad as people are talking it up to be. He should've done more to put it beyond doubt. He convincingly won the 1st, clearly lost the 3rd and really started to show that he was gassing out in the 2nd. It was a 50/50 decision IMO.
I'm with you, he let it become a 50/50 call, then he was never going to get the nod.

Sounds like the Barnett fight may be a chance of happening in Sydney afterall:

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/09/ufcs-mark-hunt-and-josh-barnett-are-apparently-ready-for-a-rematch

Also, Nate Diaz returns against dos Anjos in December. I don't like the idea of him getting a contender in his first fight back after bitching about his contract, but this should be a fun fight.

Nate can bitch all day, or he say nothing. Either way he's a top contender who can headline any event and isn't far off another title shot. He might sook outside of the cage, but he isn't alone in that area.

Cormier & Jones both penalised by the NAC for their brawl.
Jones - 50K fine & 40 hrs community service - to be carried out BEFORE their fight
Cormier - 9K fine & 20 hrs community service - also to be completed before their fight
Jones also revealed he lost his Nike sponsorship over the incident - there's footage of him floating around crying over losing his fav Nike shoes.. lol.

Wandy has been given a lifetime ban by the NAC & a 70K fine for running from testers and taking diuretics.

Kevin Casey's been fined and gets a 1 year ban for testing positive, his last fight gets overturned as a NC.

UFC's rep has looked better...

Weidman's fractured his hand, bout vs Vitor gets postponed til Jan 3rd. Their main event in November? Gets replaced by Hendricks vs Lawler II. With Pettis v Melendez the co-main I think. :thumbsu:

Nate can bitch all day, or he say nothing. Either way he's a top contender who can headline any event and isn't far off another title shot. He might sook outside of the cage, but he isn't alone in that area.

He's been dominated in 2 of his last 3 fights, demanded a pay rise and basically went on strike. At 155, he should be nowhere near the title.

So that makes it officially everyone who blames Jones for the brawl except for him.

Those finese were 10% of thier purses for the upcoming fight, so in the eyes of the commission they were equally to blame.

I know everyone loves to watch the fights, but does anyone think there's just too much going on in the UFC at the moment? There's been fight card literally every week since mid-August, plus two series of 'The Ultimate Fighter' now running simultaneously too. It's too hard to keep up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know everyone loves to watch the fights, but does anyone think there's just too much going on in the UFC at the moment? There's been fight card literally every week since mid-August, plus two series of 'The Ultimate Fighter' now running simultaneously too. It's too hard to keep up!

There is a thread about the over saturation of UFC events, and the costs involved. I'd say that many MMA fans are concerned about it, but the UFC will only stop if the product stops selling.

Cub has looked incredible in his recent fights, but Frankie is by far his toughest challenge. He's lost to strong wrestlers previously (his two most recent losses are to Mendes and Lamas) and I can't remember him fighting a strong all around grappler of late. I would favour Frankie who has the striking and speed to stay competetive with Cub on the feet while having a big advantage in the wrestling.

So pumped for the fights tomorrow. Going to be an amazing card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_178

Top three fights could all be main events, but it's just stacked top to bottom. Tuck vs Lee is probably the only fight I'm not super interested in.

Pretty surprising to see Stann openly accuse Cung of being on something and cheating for his fight. It's one thing for anonymous forum posters or even writers on MMA blogs to say it, it's another for an ex-fighter with a highly prominent position on Fox's UFC coverage to say it. Cung has always been a pudgy small middleweight who, in his early 40s, suddenly got ripped for this fight so I get why Stann is skeptical, just strange to actually hear it.

Sure enough, Cung tested positive for excessive HGH after the fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back