Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Geelong poster said that When Guthrie took Hunts tagging role Hunt was put in the back pocket and was all at sea, played poorly, lost confidence, was cut. They are pretty ruthless like that. Hence their ongoing success.

Christensen seems to have been pretty ruthless himself.

Sometimes there is more than meets the eye.

Didn't serge drop SOS from the 86 grandfinal? Shouldn't be a problem with him there while his sons come through.

Anyone in the know have any idea where jack is meant to go?

After already picking up 2 KKPs in the trade period would we be reluctant to take Reece Mckenzie at 19 if we are going to take Jack next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bit of blasphemy, but i'm not sure there's a job for SOS here unless we make up a position. not sure he has the runs on the board with managing a list compared to others in the business, and it would be odd for him to move back into game-day work (and take over say, john barker as defensive coach) after moving into list management.
either way, i'm glad he has spent plenty of time at other clubs before he made a move here, i don't think you can gain a well-rounded football education spending your time coaching straight up where you played, once you include things like man-management. it's important that you have to earn respect rather than start at the top of the pile.

Even if sos doesn't become our list manager. But to have him come back to the club after all these years will just lift the place up

I'm sure that SOS would be welcomed back at our club at any time, doesn't mean it has to be that he returns as an employee of the club.

I hope we do. If we do I see him being developed slowly in the two's

Anyone in the know have any idea where jack is meant to go?

After already picking up 2 KKPs in the trade period would we be reluctant to take Reece Mckenzie at 19 if we are going to take Jack next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I hope we do draft McKenzie with the view of allowing him to develop slowly in the two's. Has all the tools to be a monster forward!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure that SOS would be welcomed back at our club at any time, doesn't mean it has to be that he returns as an employee of the club.

Agreed. I would love to see SOS back around the club in some capacity. Let's not forget the guy is the full-back of the century, a premiership player and grew up around the club.

You need to be wary of the old boy's club mentality but look at the passion McKay brings to the club. Could he work under or as a peer to Rogers?

I'd be more than happy to welcome SOS back to the club in an administrative capacity IF he's the right man for the job.

Yes he's an all-time great of our club but that certainly should not mean he is guaranteed a position over anyone else even if they have no prior association with the club.

He needs to be the right man for the job after being subjected to the relevant selection criteria. It really is as simple as that. If he's adjudged thereafter to be the best candidate, then so be it and he'll be welcomed with open arms. If we deem someone to be a more appropriate candidate, then we do what is best for the club and get the best we can.

If he's employed on the back of his contributions to the Carlton Football Club in a playing capacity or because he's good mates with the President then I'd be absolutely filthy. That would represent an enormous step in the wrong direction for the club as far as I'm concerned.

I've seen many people suggest he'd be a wonderful addition to our staff on the back of the talented list he's managed to assemble at GWS but I'm convinced that's a terrible way of looking at things. You'd have to be the worst list manager in the world to not build an incredibly talented list on the back of the concessions handed to that club by the AFL. For mine, his work with GWS is just about irrelevant.

I've seen many people suggest he'd be a wonderful addition to our staff on the back of the talented list he's managed to assemble at GWS but I'm convinced that's a terrible way of looking at things. You'd have to be the worst list manager in the world to not build an incredibly talented list on the back of the concessions handed to that club by the AFL. For mine, his work with GWS is just about irrelevant.
Its certainly not irrelevant. You just need to make sure you assess the right areas.

We need to find out what was driving the players leaving the club....was it genuine homesickness....or was there some other issue?

Rather than looking at who he took with picks 1-10....lets look at the players they took in the later rounds.....lets look at the zone selections and what they gave up for them.....lets look at the players they took from other clubs as free agents....lets look at the trades they made which enabled them to get some good players.

The good I know off the top of my head includes: Ward, Mumford, Lamb, the Griffen + 6 trade for Boyd, the trade we did with them for Jaksch and Whiley (assuming both were genuinely homesick and they need to cut their list), what they got for Frost. The bad includes Scully and his massive contract, and missing out on Buddy as a FA (got played by Pickering again). Theres plenty to assess that would be relevant to Carlton.

Carlton career notwithstanding, he's been an assistant coach at 4 clubs, was with St Kilda during it's greatest era, worked at Sydney during it's GF years in the 00s, has previously worked with MM at Collingwood, and has been a list manager at at club that had to be build brick by brick, (wouldn't say there are too many that have had that opportunity)........so that's a pretty impressive CV in my book.

Last edited:
I think the Club is best placed to make this decision although I can understand that people will have strong views about both sides of the discussion. Hopefully the Club can get it right. I am hopeful of a good outcome. However it is hard to predict how things like this go, it all depends on so many factors and a lot of stuff we will never know about and there is always a bit of luck involved. If it is bad luck, good management will see that we cop a minimum of negative and no doubt in good time everything will be ok. Would be good to see SOS back at the Club - if that is what the Club wants to happen. Of course SOS may have something to say about it all as well - not to mention his wife and extended family and maybe some close friends. Wouldn't wish to see him at Collingwood or Essendon though or even Richmond or Hawthorn - that would be a shame and heads might have to roll - I mean this figuratively, heads should never bee chopped off - that is gross. Look lets be honest here, if anyone does lose their job over all this Carlton should pitch in and make sure they are looked after, no use burning bridges because you never know where people end up - can anyone think of a good example of all this? I just hope that we all just take a chill pill and go with the flow I don't think those people who are no longer or will no longer or might no longer be at Carlton should be thought of too badly and I hope that they have a great life afterwards too.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back