Strategy Proposed positional changes for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns
Plenty of proposed personnel changes and prediction threads on the board at the moment, but maybe it's time we focus on the current crop we have at our disposal. There are a few positional changes I think could work next year, based on glimpses in 2014 or otherwise.

Marley Williams (forward) - Saw it for about three quarters in the GWS game (I know, it's only GWS) but his hardness around the ball as a defensive sort of forward, in the mold of a Puopolo, was heartening. The ball came out of defence way too easily at times this year and Marley's biggest strength is probably his pressure. Has a wicked side step also which could see him hit the scoreboard.

Jackson Ramsay (tagger) - Has a hunger for the contest and reckon this kid will strive with a job week in week out playing on some of the games best midfielders. I dont personally like us using a tagger but Bucks will almost certainly start one round 1 against the Lions and reckon he's the man for the job. Let Greenwood go in and get the pill. Skills seem fine as well.

Paul Seedsman (wing) - Doesn't have the defensive capabilities (atm anyways) but has some explosive pace, and loves to take the game on. Could provide some x-factor in games but obviously needs a big pre season to improve his two way running. His skills are delightful, and him hitting targets inside F50 regularly should be a priority.

Thoughts? Other proposed changes you can see working?

I think Williams could be a much better footballer than Puopolo, and shouldnt be wasted in such an underwhelming position(defensive forward).

Thats just me though.

Fasolo - Midfield. He will need the tank and after missing 2 pre seasosn may not be ready buy his ball usage and clean hands in the midfield could be a real bonus. Would become a goal kicking mid also

I defintely don't want to turn Williams into a Puopulo type player, that position has a ceiling. Marley has amazing potential to smash that ceiling in another position, Puopulo doesn't. I think as a half back with stints in the midfield he could grow into an elite full time midfielder sooner than you would think.

Would be happy for Ramsey to play on an outside player as a tagger but not so much in the centre square, but loved what I saw of him last year.

100% agree on Seedsman.

I always thought Seedsman was best suited as a wingman and often wondered why he wasn't played there.

Where is he played in the VFL? If he's played on the wing in the VFL, how much impact did he have on the game?

I'm ok with Marley "resting" up forward but I want him as an impact midfielder. That sidestep and speed over 5-10 meters as well as his left leg will see us escape many more centre bounces than we did with Caff, Beamer, Blair and Bally in there. I agree that Marley could be very effective as a defensive forward but I think with all available foot soldiers we should have a much more potent forward six next season and Marley would only be an occasional visitor up front.
I like the option of using Ramsay as a tagger and agree his competitive nature will be beneficial wherever he plays next year. Seedsman also suits me as a winger but I have Freeman and Varcoe (and probably Sidebottom and Goldsack) ahead of him in that position at the moment.

One I'll throw in is young Gault. If he can be manufactured into a two goal a game FF (next season) and his kicking is excellent, then he would allow us to play Ben Reid as a true swingman (starting down back and being released as necessary). Yes he's young and raw, but he's survived so far and I liked what I saw in his debut match against the Hawks. He has a footy brain and he kicks well. If he can strengthen his marking attempts he could be the best option we've had at FF since Dawes. It also allows Clokey to roam as a CHF more like the Roughead role at Hawthorn.

Jack Frost to play on some smaller opponents and push Toovey and Goldsack out of the side.

Very good thread although I'm struggling to come up with anything from left field.

Williams as a tagger for mine.

Fasolo back to the forward line with him pinch hitting in the midfield.

Other then that nothing else really comes to mind.

Elliott into the midfield. He is totally committed to the club and will be putting in a massive preseason. Lock that in and lock in a top 5 finish in the Copeland. The kid is a star.

I think Elliott could make a fine wingman. I know he and Bucks have talked about him rotating through the middle, but he has traits that remind me of Graham Wright, Daisy and Paul Williams who all started as good young forwards but took their game to another level using their speed and creativity on the wing. Even though the game has changed so much over the past decades the elements of a good wingman still largely remain. Elliott would also make a great unique target for kick-ins and has the ability to turn opponents inside out to open the game up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Elliott could make a fine wingman. I know he and Bucks have talked about him rotating through the middle, but he has traits that remind me of Graham Wright, Daisy and Paul Williams who all started as good young forwards but took their game to another level using their speed and creativity on the wing. Even though the game has changed so much over the past decades the elements of a good wingman still largely remain. Elliott would also make a great unique target for kick-ins and has the ability to turn opponents inside out to open the game up.

I agree. Elliott works really hard too. I see him as the replacement for Beams.

For me, i want to keep Jamie in our forward line for his score capacity and x-factor. We have to remember we are losing one of our best goal kickers in our team with Beams leaving.. So the last thing we need to do with an untried midfield setup is take away our firepower too early.. And I'm fairly sure Jaime would be in the top 5 goalkickers.

depends if our Mids can hold up, but I'd perhaps like to Swan back to where he started around HBF. he runs hard and what he might lack in defensive skills he will add a lot to our run and carry and link up from the back half.

Marley Williams, Defense to Midfield (Tagger): Nobody on our list has better attributes for tagging than Marley. He's done a good apprenticeship in the back half but given how we were dominated in the middle in the back half of last season I think he's an important addition. Between Marley, Levi and big T. Adams, we would have a strong contested ball winning midfield unit that does the work defensively.. I like that.

Ben Reid, Forward to Defense (CHB): I know, he didn't get a full run at being a forward due to injury but this move is vital to any success. Brown and Reid in the back half is a lot more imposing and experienced than any combinations that include Keeffe and Frost. I'd be keeping Frost in the team for matchups and flexibility to send Ben forward, but he should start back given the dearth of experience in that area.. Ditto Goldsack.
(Goldsack, Brown, Reid, Toovey, Langdon and any one of Seedsman/Sinclair to give run looks pretty decent)

Others of note that I think should stay exactly where they are:

Billy Elliott - Performing well in his current role and was arguably our most damaging player prior to injury. Cant afford to lose that in the front half

Fasolo - Midfield? Defense? For arguably our most natural forward? Doesn't make sense to me. I think his field kicking is somewhat overrated around here and would prefer to play him where he has been most valuable in the past.

Goldsack swinging to the midfield every now and then, not a permanent role, but his size, pace and aggression could really provide a spark in tight contests. I'd also like to see Jono Marsh get runs in the mid at VFL level, he said last year that he had an aim to play midfield and I'd like to see what he can do.

Jesse White on the wing. He's mobile and would be a difficult matchup for your average mid. And he could take the occasional ruck contest for added value.
This is on the presumption that Reid is fit and plays up forward, or Gault steps up

It sounds like a good idea because of how athletic he is, then we remember that he'll get 10 touches then disappear for the rest of the game.

depends if our Mids can hold up, but I'd perhaps like to Swan back to where he started around HBF. he runs hard and what he might lack in defensive skills he will add a lot to our run and carry and link up from the back half.

Would rather Armstrong at half-back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back