Opinion 2014 Draft ( Live discussion ) Mod notice post #6629

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked like they tried to move him around a bit in the second half of the year too. Maybe because of his shoulder ??? Maybe development targets ??? Either way he would have won the goal kicking if he was kept up forward towards the end of the year ........
Probably would've won it had he not missed games through injury early in year and been sub so many times :p

I know that we really liked Wines and if Jaksch was rated at #5 in 2012, who may have been ahead?

Whitfield, Wines, Menzel, Macrae/Mayes and then Jaksch although Toumpas may have been in there somewhere. I don't know.

Wouldn't surprise for O'Rourke, Mayes, Vlastuin, Plowman and Stringer to have been behind Jaksch.
Interestingly enough Emma Quayle, who admittedly isn't an expert but speaks to a lot of recruiters, viewed Jaksch as a reach at 12. I'm not sure anyone actually viewed Jaksch that highly (#5) as he was always more of a project player.

Interestingly enough Emma Quayle, who admittedly isn't an expert but speaks to a lot of recruiters, viewed Jaksch as a reach at 12. I'm not sure anyone actually viewed Jaksch that highly (#5) as he was always more of a project player.
Don't think this is correct. Jaksch was a solid CHF prospect and certainly not a project. Emma Quayle is not always the best judge.

Even at this point, a couple of years on, he is still a project.
Again, I disagree...all AFL talls start at some point. Jaksch's development is almost identical to Henderson who played back when Brown and Bradshaw held down Brisbane's forward line. The talent is evident, the development so far isn't discouraging at all and he's well ahead of a project tall. Casboult was a project tall, Hampson was a project tall.

Again, I disagree...all AFL talls start at some point. Jaksch's development is almost identical to Henderson who played back when Brown and Bradshaw held down Brisbane's forward line. The talent is evident, the development so far isn't discouraging at all and he's well ahead of a project tall. Casboult was a project tall, Hampson was a project tall.
He's a bloke recruited for what he could be in 3-4yrs as opposed to what he is now.. that is more or less the very definition of a project player. He has the tools to be a good to very good player but he has to put it all together. Hendo at a similar point of his career was similarly very raw and in need of further development, neither are/were certainties (see Jez Cameron)

you say tomayto, I say tomahto.

Jaksch won't be seeing too much senior action unless we have injuries.

He'll be eased in gently, with a spine of

B Jamison White
HB Walker Rowe
C Cripps Everitt
HF Jones Henderson
FF Kreuzer Casboult
Ruck Wood Whiley
Int Watson

That's 13 players in our 22 190cm+ ;)

you say tomayto, I say tomahto.

Jaksch won't be seeing too much senior action unless we have injuries.

He'll be eased in gently, with a spine of

B Jamison White
HB Walker Rowe
C Cripps Everitt
HF Jones Henderson
FF Kreuzer Casboult
Ruck Wood Whiley
Int Watson

That's 13 players in our 22 190cm+ ;)
True enough. :thumbsu:
Hopefully he comes along in a similar manner to Hendo.

Most had him going to Brisbane at 8 and definately us at 11 had Menzel not been there. 12 was definately not a reach for Jaksch he was always going to be drafted in that 8-12 region

This is Knightmares write up on Jaksch ahead of the 2012 draft -

#14 GWS (Via Melbourne - Compensation Pick) - Kristian Jaksch (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 07/10/1994
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Matthew Pavlich
Player comparison:
Range: 8-17
Profile: Really promising key position player who can capably play forward or back to a high level. Really love the way his game has developed over the past few years and has continued to develop strongly this year and has quickly risen up most people’s draft boards quite substantially since this time last year. Jaksch is a strong mark overhead and is a real contested marking threat around the ground as well as up forward. Has very strong hands. Reads the play to a very high level and reads the ball in the air well. 1v1 more improvement needs to be made as he can’t push others around but this should be developed with time. At ground level for a key position player also very good. Jaksch is an elite field kick for a key position player and can lace out kick the ball to where the player wants it every time and is a genuine playmaker whether it be in the back half coming out of defence or whether up forward finding a his man executing kicks no key position player has the right to. Set shot goal kicking good. Athletically Jaksch is above average, has a solid leap but also moves really well with good pace and agility but he should develop into more of a power key forward or defender with his strong marking game. I’ve also been really pleased with his effort around the ground with his willingness to tackle for a key position player, it’s rare to see a player so willing to give 2nd and 3rd efforts and chase as hard as Jaksch does which is a credit to him. Has the body type where he should capably continue to grow out strongly. Jaksch while he will most likely develop into a key forward it is worth noting that he also looks very good down back and can be a big rebounding factor with his ability to read it well and marking with his ability to take marks off opposition kicks as well as winning 1v1 contests. There is great potential for development and Jaksch appears to be one of the best key position prospects this draft has to offer.

Most had him going to Brisbane at 8 and definately us at 11 had Menzel not been there. 12 was definately not a reach for Jaksch he was always going to be drafted in that 8-12 region

Yep.

I heard someone from Brisbane say shortly after the draft that if Port had of taken the local kid Mayes at 7, Brisbane would have taken Jaksch at 8.

It was going to be Melbourne - Wines at 4, Port - Mayes at 7 and Brisbane - Jaksch at 8.

But Melbourne took Toumpas instead of Wines:D....which i shouldn't laugh at because i really liked Toumpas that year too.

Jaksch was my wish for Carlton that year....badly. Thought he was a real prospect. Still do. And now he's here.

Haven't had a real favourite since Jimmy Buckley as a kid, well except the superstar Judd, but i'm keen for Jaksch to do well.

Will follow eagerly.

Play him forward. Pick him and play him. Let him learn in the Seniors.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reece has been told he is in the mix for their first pick. Not guaranteed but a good chance.

Not having a go at you, but "in the mix" is a throwaway line at this time of year for kids in the draft.

A couple years ago a mate of mine's son was told by 2 Clubs that he was their favored 1st pick. Both those 2 Clubs passed him over at their back end 1st pick and one Club even passed him with their 2nd pick which they had close to their 1st.

A 3rd Club who hadn't indicated anything much to him, took him with their 2nd pick.

Good info that the Tiges like Reece and have him "in the mix" but it is a pretty stock standard line.

Not having a go at you, but "in the mix" is a throwaway line at this time of year for kids in the draft.

A couple years ago a mate of mine's son was told by 2 Clubs that he was their favored 1st pick. Both those 2 Clubs passed him over at their back end 1st pick and one Club even passed him with their 2nd pick which they had close to their 1st.

A 3rd Club who hadn't indicated anything much to him, took him with their 2nd pick.

Good info that the Tiges like Reece and have him "in the mix" but it is a pretty stock standard line.
ODN told me I am in the mix for POTY. You mean....:cry::cry::(

Yep.

I heard someone from Brisbane say shortly after the draft that if Port had of taken the local kid Mayes at 7, Brisbane would have taken Jaksch at 8.

It was going to be Melbourne - Wines at 4, Port - Mayes at 7 and Brisbane - Jaksch at 8.

But Melbourne took Toumpas instead of Wines:D....which i shouldn't laugh at because i really liked Toumpas that year too.

Jaksch was my wish for Carlton that year....badly. Thought he was a real prospect. Still do. And now he's here.

Haven't had a real favourite since Jimmy Buckley as a kid, well except the superstar Judd, but i'm keen for Jaksch to do well.

Will follow eagerly.

Play him forward. Pick him and play him. Let him learn in the Seniors.
Correct. Thats why it was an amazing deal getting Jaksch + Pick 19 + Whiley for Pick 7. We essentially got our preffered 1st rounder from 2 years ago + a first round pick and Whiley

My feeling is that Geelong, West Coast, Richmond, Carlton and the Bulldogs are all after the same type this year, which is unfortunate, and slightly unusual, given that it's outside run. I suspect the doggies will take our 2nd/3rd preferences before our second pick with their two choices. Might alter our plans a little. However, I'm really warming to the idea of taking Connor Blakely ... Would the opposition midfield even bother putting their boots on with Blakely added to the mix of clearance machines?? .... Loved in an interview where they spoke to him about keeping his feet and how it's something that has been hammered into him from a young age. I rate that super-highly ... Still drives me crazy when players go to ground .. I know Blaine Johnson is young, but my god he loves going to ground ... Waite was the same. Anyhoo, I'd be more than happy to take him! Although, he is starting to get a bit tall at 186cm ;)

I hear you TW and agree that does happen - but on this occasion - he is a serious chance to go to the Tigers.

Judd is a project player at 31.
Ah ok.. have a few cones did we MH?

That's cool, EQ has said that a number of recruiters thought that he went earlier than where they'd rated him.
That said a players actual draft position is largely irrelevant once he has been in the system a year or two anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back