Leigh Matthews - random footage

Remove this Banner Ad

I would take two buddies at PAFC if available and Fraklin's last year was one of his best years yet. For his efforts to date, he will be remembered as one of the greatest forwards of all time.

If he keeps it up, he will be remembered alongside Carey, Lethal, Ablett and co. I am sure he will get there, but more work to be done yet.

Matthews said it's all about what you do to help your team. Unfortunately I don't think Ablett Sr or Franklin helped their team to the extent of their brilliance. John Todd said that Geelong would never win a flag with Ablett Sr in their side, and I believe Hawthorn play better without Franklin.

Ablett did as much as he could in the 89 and 92 grand finals not to mention his influence in both of those finals campaigns as a whole. The team around him quite.

I think Lethal's point simply is that you're rated on how much you help your team which is why he rates Carey as the best besides himself. Geelong and North had similar quality in their squads outside of Carey and Ablett so there's no blaming it on the rest of the side.

Ablett did as much as he could in the 89 and 92 grand finals not to mention his influence in both of those finals campaigns as a whole. The team around him quite simply had little fortitude when the opposition gained the ascendancy. For example, Ablett would have been better utilized had he been switched into the midfield instead of remaining on the half forward flank where the ball was rarely coming down his way in the third quarter of the 92 grannie. Instead, West Coast went forward, time and time again while Matera had a field day on a much slower opponent in Mark Bairstow. Geelong also had a fairly mediocre back-line throughout Senior's era. Had they had Graham, O'Reilly and another McGrath in the late 80's, they could very well have won at least 1 of those grannie's but as it was, we didn't and Dunstall, Sumich kicked crucial goals which helped influence the end result.

Another thing to remember is Barry Stoneham broke his leg in 1994 and was never the same again. He subsequently missed both grand finals, although he would have made little difference in the end but this prevented us a quality CHF at the time. Again, Geelong just happened to play three very dominant sides in the 80's and 90's. Hawthorn, West Coast & Carlton (especially that season) were as good as any teams of their repsective eras.

I wonder when John Todd made those comments?
If it was just before 89, he was almost made to look a little silly given Ablett nearly single-handedly won the game off his own boot.
Who are you arguing with Bobby?

Last edited:
Do you have other footage on games from 1980 - 1986 of North melb and Melbourne games?

On a serious note.

How about them Back2Back Hawks. :thumbsu:
I follow my side to see them win premierships. I've been fortunate enough to see that happen 3 times. Being a part of 1 of the 3 clubs to keep Lyon winless in GF's is a bonus:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I have been lucky enough to see the club I have been a member of for 42 years win 11 Flags.

But who's counting.
Doesn't worry me, I was only alive for 4 of those. I'm not going to get into a dick measuring contest. Both clubs have been very blessed in regards to success recently.

People who do not like dick measuring contests usually have a small willy. :p
No I can just realise how fortunate my club has been and measuring against another clubs fortune is pointless.

Remember both our clubs were in strife in the mid 90's.

Have since become very well run clubs with 7 premierships between them. Humility is a very good trait to have.

No I can just realise how fortunate my club has been and measuring against another clubs fortune is pointless.

Remember both our clubs were in strife in the mid 90's.

Have since become very well run clubs with 7 premierships between them. Humility is a very good trait to have.
Indeed

I am very humble when it comes to the fact the Hawks are by far the best club of the last half a century.

who played well that day in 63?

What was the weather like?
You made the claim when it counts and we have beaten Hawthorn when it counts.

What we don't have that the Hawks have and I must give credit to the Hawks.......

is a winless season, oh no scratch that 2 winless seasons:cool:

You made the claim when it counts and we have beaten Hawthorn when it counts.

What we don't have that the Hawks have and I must give credit to the Hawks is a winless season, oh no scratch that.... 2 winless seasons:cool:
So you don't remember the weather that day?

Hmmmmmmm

So if you give us credit for when were were crap does that mean you give us credit for the fact that.

Even with a 35 year head start the Hawks have more Premierships that your team?

So you don't remember the weather that day?

Hmmmmmmm
What does that matter?

Recent seasons are not more important than past seasons. I'm pretty sure it doesn't stop the bay giving s**t to Saints fans over 27 spoons. No difference here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back