Meredith/Golden Plains

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, New York Giants
Is there anyone here that makes the bi-Annual pilgrimage to the Supernatural Amphitheatre?

In my opinion, this is the greatest music festival on Earth. I haven't missed one in 8 years.

Share your favourite Meredith moments, your adoration for Aunty Meredith or even just your batshit insane levels of excitement for this year's line-up (which can be found here: http://2014.mmf.com.au/whos-playing/)

benloveridge_mmf10_20101211_1761.jpg

Hermitude last year was great.
Icehouse a couple of years back was probably my favourite performance ive seen there.

It's such a ******* great festival. always have the same spot just right of the main tree next to the new strobe light pole.

cant wait for War on Drugs & ty Segall this year.

Best moment(s) were the various Powder Monkeys sets.

I was at both for Hoss as well

Combo La Revelacion were always heaps of fun

Other great sets I remember include Dead Moon, the Freeloaders, Sunset Strip and a heap of others I've forgotten in a green haze of smoke.

Used to go to Meredith since '94. Have been to the last 3 GP's. Got drunk with Endless Boogie a coupla years ago and have remained in contact. Great band, top blokes.

Been to about 6 GPs and about 10 Merediths, including a couple back at the old site. Countless great moments, but George Clinton & Parliament/Funkadelic goes down as my most memorable set.

Golden Plains has been awful for years. They need to start taking risks with the lineup and bringing out more diverse acts that who have not been to Australia.

Golden Plains has been awful for years. They need to start taking risks with the lineup and bringing out more diverse acts that who have not been to Australia.
are you joking? lets look at last year, name another festival that would have such a diverse line up:

You Am I
Charles Bradley
Gold Panda
Public Enemy
Fat Freddys Drop
Yo La Tengo
Flying Lotus
King Gizzard
The Drones
Neko Case.

are you joking? lets look at last year, name another festival that would have such a diverse line up:

You Am I
Charles Bradley
Gold Panda
Public Enemy
Fat Freddys Drop
Yo La Tengo
Flying Lotus
King Gizzard
The Drones
Neko Case.

How many of those acts have toured in the past 12 months? (Just about all of them). Hell Yo La Tango were out here in October last year, then back again 5 months later? Same with FFD. I'm talking about diverse in the sense of a variety acts who have not toured in Australia before or it's been a few years since they have toured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of those acts have toured in the past 12 months? (Just about all of them). Hell Yo La Tango were out here in October last year, then back again 5 months later? Same with FFD. I'm talking about diverse in the sense of a variety acts who have not toured in Australia before or it's been a few years since they have toured.
Im not sure what acts they could bring out that havent been to australia in ages that wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg.

meredith last year was outta this world, this years line-up is flat IMO.

Im not sure what acts they could bring out that havent been to australia in ages that wouldn't cost them an arm and a leg.

weak excuse when tix are 350AUD

$350 is incredibly expensive when you look at those massive three-day festivals in Europe.

I've never been but I've never gotten the appeal with Meredith and Golden Plains. Seems so purposefully contrarian and Proper Music but most of it's just boring. The fact they got De La (who I love but who've been here every year since 2012) when they could've gotten Souls of Mischief spoke volumes.

how did the old site work?

Not too dissimilar. Didn't have any of the infrastructure and the amphitheatre was a fair bit smaller, but obviously very similar environs given it was just a couple of k's up the road. It was far more dependent on local talent back in the 90's and had a mere fraction of the budget for O/S acts. Like most things the old-timers will naturally look back more fondly and romantically on the early days, but to be honest it's much better nowadays, even if it a lot more crowded.

$350 is incredibly expensive when you look at those massive three-day festivals in Europe.

I've never been but I've never gotten the appeal with Meredith and Golden Plains. Seems so purposefully contrarian and Proper Music but most of it's just boring. The fact they got De La (who I love but who've been here every year since 2012) when they could've gotten Souls of Mischief spoke volumes.

I think that it's appeal (for me anyway) is that it's unlike other corporate type events. You can take your own grog and smoke weed 'til your heart's content. I do agree that the quality and variety of the acts has somewhat waned. For me it's startin' to become a bit pricey

It'd be better to compare the price to festivals in our own country, Falls is over 400 bucks these days and you can't take in your own alcohol. Add to that you can only drink in designated areas paying 8 bucks a drink.
That's the beauty of Meredith, you get in, and you essentially have freedom to do what you want as long as you don't be a dickhead.
I'd really hope you gave it a chance and went one year with an open mind. It's not the sort of festival where you look at the lineup and judge it from that. Sure having a sick lineup is great, but for Meredith it's about half the experience. The lineup isn't what brings people to the festival, hence why you buy your ticket before the lineup comes out.
Anyway... HAPPY MEREDITH EVE to the folk going. Our convoy leaves at 5 tomorrow and I'm ******* pumped. Alcohols packed, couches loaded, see you in the sup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back