Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I will criticise people who are not prepared. Should have every player listed in preference order and just ticked them off.

How do you know they didn't ??

I'm happy.... looks a solid pick and a good kid with a great attitude.... Whats upstairs means more these days.

Interesting you say that. That was always one of the key criteria under Dimma and he copped a bit of criticism for it. Yet today on the news (in Adelaide) recruiters from both clubs said they were putting a big emphasis on character.

Seems Francis Jackson and co were ahead of their time on that one.

It doesn't work like that though. For your first pick sure. But when you get out into the second round plus, you generally target a specific need. By going on your theory we could have 5 one pace left footed inside midfielders.

You are also drafting out of a pool of literally over a hundred players, to whittle a list down to anything resembling workable you have to take educated guesses about who is available and who is not. It actually helps in your preparation. Same thing happened when we drafted Rance too.
I don't agree with you here as you'd target a certain type for your first pick. Possibly 2 or 3 players. Then the manner by which you ordered your list would be based on the player type that you wanted around that pick number. You would not end up with five one paced left-footers. We will have to disagree.

Bullshit.. If we had done our home work, we would have listed in order the players we rated and ticked them off as they fell. When it was our turn we'd have just had to call the name of the highest rated player left. Absolute amateurs are our recruiters.
And you don't think those big lists we had were for exactly that? From I gather we were debating between Blakley and Menedue. Did you notice quite a bit of convo's all night? Cant see the problem.

And you don't think those big lists we had were for exactly that? From I gather we were debating between Blakley and Menedue. Did you notice quite a bit of convo's all night? Cant see the problem.
What was there to debate? We should have already decided if they were both available around our pick, who we'd prefer.

Also I'd like to ask why are Richmonds pick or picks leaked every year? The recruiting department needs a good kick up the arse.

Agree, unprofessional and will bite us on the ass

Bullshit.. If we had done our home work, we would have listed in order the players we rated and ticked them off as they fell. When it was our turn we'd have just had to call the name of the highest rated player left. Absolute amateurs are our recruiters.

richmond use a points rating system. what happens if you have two players on your list with the same points and they are both still on the board?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they stalled and discussed who was next. 4 times.

I don't know weather they did or didn't. But I'm still not sure you can be certain based on that comment. But if that's what you believe, then that's what you believe....

Agree, unprofessional and will bite us on the ass

richmond use a points rating system. what happens if you have two players on your list with the same points and they are both still on the board?
That decision should have been made before the draft. I said list preferences in order.

We did have the one we preferred at our pick, pick the slider came into being. The convo was if we go the other player which we did.
This makes no sense. Both players should have been ranked prior and highest ranked player should be selected.

That decision should have been made before the draft. I said list preferences in order.
I think the draft is far too fluid for that or to have a perfect list. What if a need happens at a earlier pick and then we want to look at another need to address yet? Do we still pick the same player even tho we already covered that type, even tho we rated him higher?

Run-on effect. If you have a slider get to the 2nd round, then you pick him (which we did with Menadue). The type of player we picked there has an effect on who we take in the rounds after that. It's called list management.

Blakely was probably rated ahead but we were debating taking a speedy player or a slow player after Ellis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back