Analysis 2015 Free Agents

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like Rance to team up with Talia , however it would be very unlikely that he would leave richmond

Why is it when its one of our players that has the opportunity to leave we all think the worst and that we will lose him yet when the player is from another club we tend to think.....now way he will leave his club.

Why is it when its one of our players that has the opportunity to leave we all think the worst and that we will lose him yet when the player is from another club we tend to think.....now way he will leave his club.
its what we're conditioned to believe and inevitably it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm sick of it, no fate but what we make.

Priority 1: Jack Steven. Elite All-Australian potential. Bottom aged as far as free agents go. Lightning quick. Play him on the outside. At a s**t club. Might want out. If we don't make an offer we are taking the piss.

Priority 2: Courtenay Dempsey. Provides run. A very nice kick. Fills a great need at either half-back or a wing. Might want out of the chaos that is Essendon. Must enquire.

Priority 3: Alex Rance. Excellent KPD who shows great desperation in all contests and would pair perfectly with Talia. Unlikely to leave as he seems such a great fit at Richmond but you never know.

Priority 4: either of Matthew Kreuzer or Matthew Leuenberger. Both are good ruckmen, but in my opinion both can also offer a fair bit up forward. Yes we have Jacobs who is a top 3 ruckman in the league, but having only 1 of the best 35ish ruckmen in the AFL on our entire list isn't a great thing for mine. Lowden seems handy but may not be the answer. Kreuzer may want a fresh start and to escape his train wreck of a club, while Leuenberger appears to be a little out of favour in Brisvegas (S Martin).

I'd actually ignore all others for various reasons. Suckling seems like a good option for us on the surface (elite left leg) but the reality is that he's slow, soft as butter and has no tackling ability. I don't think he'd fit in well in our side at all. Hawthorn can cover his weaknesses by surrounding him with various hard / quick players. We can't.

The answer is quite simply that there are a large percentage of 20-35 year old males who would prefer to live in Melbourne than Adelaide, especially ones that were not born in Adelaide. Many players in this boat will end up staying at the Crows and Port, but most will at least seriously consider moving.

It is unfortunate, but undeniably true.

Priority 1: Jack Steven. Elite All-Australian potential. Bottom aged as far as free agents go. Lightning quick. Play him on the outside. At a s**t club. Might want out. If we don't make an offer we are taking the piss.

Priority 2: Courtenay Dempsey. Provides run. A very nice kick. Fills a great need at either half-back or a wing. Might want out of the chaos that is Essendon. Must enquire.

Priority 3: Alex Rance. Excellent KPD who shows great desperation in all contests and would pair perfectly with Talia. Unlikely to leave as he seems such a great fit at Richmond but you never know.

Priority 4: either of Matthew Kreuzer or Matthew Leuenberger. Both are good ruckmen, but in my opinion both can also offer a fair bit up forward. Yes we have Jacobs who is a top 3 ruckman in the league, but having only 1 of the best 35ish ruckmen in the AFL on our entire list isn't a great thing for mine. Lowden seems handy but may not be the answer. Kreuzer may want a fresh start and to escape his train wreck of a club, while Leuenberger appears to be a little out of favour in Brisvegas (S Martin).

I'd actually ignore all others for various reasons. Suckling seems like a good option for us on the surface (elite left leg) but the reality is that he's slow, soft as butter and has no tackling ability. I don't think he'd fit in well in our side at all. Hawthorn can cover his weaknesses by surrounding him with various hard / quick players. We can't.

Never in a 100 years would I want that sack at the crows, provides close to * all. Occasionally plays a good game when the contract renewal comes around but that's about it. Brodie Martin gives about as much (obviously different players though) but give one of our kids that spot instead of getting some half ass player through FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Steven is the only free agent we should be going after because he will provide us with that extra outside runner with speed.
He will only be 25 at the end of next year which is in The perfect age demographic to grab a free agent as their still have a good 6-7yrs left in them barring injury.

Too much groupthink. Suckling is a superb player, would be my no.1 target

What attributes of his game besides his kicking / decision making by foot do you enjoy?

Too slow (we're already a pretty slow side), no tackling ability (we already suck at this too), no defensive ability (Henderson, Jaensch, Smith all struggle in this area too). Will struggle to make the Hawks side on a regular basis in 2015 for mine.

I will freely admit that he's the best kick in the entire AFL though, which is certainly a need for us. I just don't think we can cover his shortcomings as effectively as Hawthorn can.

What attributes of his game besides his kicking / decision making by foot do you enjoy?

Too slow (we're already a pretty slow side), no tackling ability (we already suck at this too), no defensive ability (Henderson, Jaensch, Smith all struggle in this area too). Will struggle to make the Hawks side on a regular basis in 2015 for mine.

I will freely admit that he's the best kick in the entire AFL though, which is certainly a need for us. I just don't think we can cover his shortcomings as effectively as Hawthorn can.

The thought of him struggling to make the Hawks side next year is a fantasy somewhat. I seem to remember the hawks couldn't wait to rush him in when he was injured before the finals this season. Their game is built around kicking, so therefore unless they're silly (no) or supremely cocky (maybe), you wouldn't leave the AFL's best kick having a jog around for box hill...But I'm no coach ;)

The thought of him struggling to make the Hawks side next year is a fantasy somewhat. I seem to remember the hawks couldn't wait to rush him in when he was injured before the finals this season. Their game is built around kicking, so therefore unless they're silly (no) or supremely cocky (maybe), you wouldn't leave the AFL's best kick having a jog around for box hill...But I'm no coach ;)

B: Gibson Lake Duryea
HB: Birchall Frawley Stratton

Guys who also can play back there: Hodge, Suckling, Schoenmakers, Burgoyne, Litherland, Spangher

The Hawks backline is absolutely ludicrously deep and I think with the injection of Frawley and the improvement of Litherland and Duryea, Suckling will struggle to nail down a spot next year, and he is completely incapable of playing anywhere else on the ground. Time will tell.

Too much groupthink. Suckling is a superb player, would be my no.1 target
If Danger was leaving then I'd hope Hawkins would be our #1 target followed by Stevens.

If he stays then I guess Suckling is more of an option because you could see how a club could afford to get him whilst holding onto their other stars.

I agree with what huludicidal has to say though, outside of his kick he doesn't offer us much to the side. Of course being able to kick the ball is just about the most important thing in the game, but is he a big enough upgrade to someone like Jaensch for it to really be worth chasing him over anyone else? Because it's really one or the other (unless we look at playing the other on a wing) in the backline imo.

Think Steven wold be a fair chance to be let go as the Saints would get a pick after their first ( at worst pick 3), which would give them a fistful of top 5 picks over the last few years. He would be an excellent pick up for the Crows as he fills an explicit need at the Crows. Agree with the Colonel on Suckling, would be a very handy get and someone who may be looking to shore up his life now he has had success, a 5 year contract at 2.8 mil would be hard to match.

Before anybody says that is too much...what are we paying DMac?

If Danger was leaving then I'd hope Hawkins would be our #1 target followed by Stevens.

If he stays then I guess Suckling is more of an option because you could see how a club could afford to get him whilst holding onto their other stars.

I agree with what huludicidal has to say though, outside of his kick he doesn't offer us much to the side. Of course being able to kick the ball is just about the most important thing in the game, but is he a big enough upgrade to someone like Jaensch for it to really be worth chasing him over anyone else? Because it's really one or the other (unless we look at playing the other on a wing) in the backline imo.

I reckon players like Steven are the real danger in FA (boom tish) solid b+ players, very good players, who desperate teams might pay like an A+ player to score the FA win.

Nice player but opportunity to over pay. Pass

Suckling is a great kick. Much better ball retention, doesn't panic and makes good decisions. Finds space and makes good position to receive and is calm in choosing the right option to setup and switch play.

I agree Jaensch is similar but not of the same class or quality. Suckling is who we want Jaensch to be, and isn't it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back