Ghost/Paranormal Haunted houses

Remove this Banner Ad

I just read your two stories earlier this thread, about the poltergeists in the attic in that haunted house.

****!!

How's that nightime curfew on these types of threads coming along? :p

Did I ever finish the story?

Up to a point. This was the first post:

Ok, I have one story I can contribute from when I was about 15.

I grew up in a big, old Edwardian house in Canterbury. It was one of the original homesteads in the area, and, until my parents bought the joint, had been in the same family for 3 generations.

The house was massive with like 3 bedrooms downstairs and 3 upstairs in the attics. Plus a kind of wing in the house where my grandmother lived (4 rooms) before having a stroke and going to a nursing home. There were like 3 rooms that were so massive we actually played cricket in one of them.

My parents divorced when I was 14-15, and Dad quickly played the scene again and was often 'staying with friends'. And around the same time Gran had her stroke, so me and my brother spent quite a few nights in this huge house all alone. It was never overly spooky, sure it had a presence about it but almost all old houses do.

With that background in mind, this story starts on a Friday night. I was sitting in the downstairs kitchen with my brother and friend from school. We were sitting around listening to music. I went to bed about 11, as I was going to Wilson's Prom the next day with my girlfriend and her dad, so I left my brother and Jeff talking.

I was woken a few hours later, hard to tell as I was sleeping pretty soundly, by two things: one, the family Labrador trying to get into my bed in a panic; and two, the sound of what I thought I was Jeff and my brother being rowdy in the kitchen, more specifically dragging the wooden kitchen chairs across the lino. So I got up, pissed off if the truth be known, and the dog dived under the doona. I headed out into the hall to see my ashen face brother standing silently and pointing at the ceiling. And there was a very loud noise of furniture being dragged across the attic floorboards.

"What's going on, " I asked, "I've got to be up early tomorrow and I don't need you and Jeff playing stupid games while I'm sleeping."

My brother finally stammered out a reply, "Jeff left hours ago. I've been watching tv in the front room when i heard that noise, and I came to investigate."

We both looked at each other petrified, because we knew we were the only people in the house. And that noise was the sound of Dad's heavy Aero wooden chairs being dragged around his upstairs study by someone, something. and lit was really freakin' loud by now.

So for some stupid reason I started heading up the stairs, i rounded the landing and cautiously went up about 4 or 5 stairs until I could see through the little gate at the top of the stairs (which my dad had installed when we were small kids) and I could see these chairs crashing around all by themselves like dodgems. I could only see a small bit, but enough to know what was going on and enough to know I was getting out of there fast. I jumped down to the landing screaming, and almost took my brother out who had climbed the stairs holding our terrified dog. He went past me to the top of the stairs, opened the gate and pushed the dog in the direction of the room, quickly shutting the gate after himself.

The next moment the dog vaults the gate and comes tearing back down the stairs, we both run down the stairs screaming, leave the house without looking back and go and stay at our neighbor's house.

The next morning we went back into our home, ventured up the stairs and, finally, into Dad's study. The 3 aero chairs were haphazardly stacked on top of one another in a corner and the floor was scratched up like an ice-skating rink from the chairs. We just looked at each other.

Every word of that is true. It gives me shivers to write it down years later.

Some odd things happened at that house after that experience, not as violent and as weird as that but very creepy. We also found out about a bunch of stuff from my mother many years later too.

Excuse the mangled syntax and sloppy writing. I just wrote it quickly and have no desire to read back over what I've written.

This was the second one, and yeah hope you finish the tale one day!

So I told you about the significant supernatural event last night. That was the one that seemed to set things in motion, both new events and my mother telling me about stuff that happened over the years.

But first, I'll fast forward 7 years from the incident I posted about earlier. My (finally) divorced parents had long since sold the family home. My brother was living overseas, I was studying at Uni and working in a bottleshop to keep my social life afloat. And my beloved grandmother was close to death in a nursing home just around the corner from where we all used to live.

We all came together one night with my grandmother on her death bed. My brother had flown in from the UK. I got a call just as I was closing the shop, "better come over, your gran won't last the night". So I jumped in a cab (probably nursing a few travellers) and headed off from Caulfield to Canterbury.

The driver was a bloke in his early thirties. Quite friendly and we soon got chatting. I told him about my gran dying and, in the process, the conversation somehow got onto where I used to live. He was quite interested because he said he worked as a part-time gardener at a school in Canterbury.

"That's funny," I said, "my old family home was opposite a school and it was eventually sold to the school."

A small astonished smile appeared on his face and he quietly said, "the haunted house".

It was an amazing moment. The odds of it happening, on that night in particular, must have been astronomical. That was freaky enough and then he told me about the house and the troubled couple of years the school had when they bought it.

"So they found out about that did they?" I replied.

"Sure did. Almost right away. That home was creepy. They bought it for the preps because they wanted a more informal, relaxing type of environment. How wrong they where."

I was freakin' transfixed and urged him to continue, "go on, what happened?"

"Well, they tried to make the attics into teacher's offices and the like. The workmen would hear things being flung around upstairs, including timber and tools. There was never anyone upstairs when it happened, but would often greet them in the morning. One of the blokes swore he saw a woman watching him work in the front room. Stuff like that. Weird noises, a feeling of cold etc. Everyone was talking about it.

"When finally finished the renovations to accommodate the kids and erected the board out the front, the builders were looking at the house, and this is where it gets it really creepy," I distinctly remembering him pausing here, "I think one of the senior teachers was with these couple of builders. Anyway, one of the builders turns to the teacher and says something like be careful in there.

"With that, the light in the front attic turns on and they can clearly see a shadowy figure behind the drawn blind. They all looked on astonished as the figure moves away, everyone knew the house was empty, and one of the builders just says 'good luck' turns and goes."

I was shell shocked. I'd actually seen the figure he was talking about, in that very room too.

"Anyway," the guy continued, "they opened up the prep school and it was a disaster. The kids were terrified, one teacher refused to work in there after hearing furniture being dragged around, random stuff like that happened all the time. But mostly it was just a really bad feeling. I used to do the gardening there and I couldn't stand it.

"By mid year they'd moved all the kids back into the main campus across the road and put the house back onto the market."

And with that he pulled into the nursing home, where I sat next to my gran and watched her die. It was around 5am I think. Later that morning I told my brother about the cab ride and the story. He was aghast. We went around and looked at the old house that morning and, sure enough, there was clear evidence a new family had moved in. And that window, where the builders had seen the figure, as I had years before, looked out onto the street but a large air conditioning obscured much of the surface area.

It was a very strange and sad night where a haunting, a death and our family history all collided. I still get the shivers to write about it today. Just now the fridge turned over and I just about jumped out of my chair.

For part 3 I'm going to go back and tell you about a bunch of random weird events, including the shadowy figure, that occurred after the initial haunting and the cab ride I just wrote about. Stay tuned it will be fun.

The usual disclaimer about spelling and lucidity applies as I have no desire to go back and read what I've read.

just remembered a place i stayed but had no ghost success
clarksfield pub,country victoria
notorious ghost stories about his place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next time I'm up in Melbourne I'm going to take a trip to Canterbury. Can't be that many old homesteads opposite primary schools.

You'll be driving the sound-proof gelati trauck, I presume.

You'll be driving the sound-proof gelati trauck, I presume.
y2uu80y17kfptmvpvywb.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back