Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe sexism in music is massively overstated and Devin from DIIV should've been pulled about being an aggressive pick-up-artist attempting twat – he never said anything misogynistic, just that a woman from a band wasn't a nice person.

BUT there is a fundament frigidness amongst people who are what Carles once called #lamestreamers. They're into middle indie and have a staunch inability to access or enjoy solo female music unless it's played with guitars. As soon as a Sky Ferreira or Charli XCX comes out with an awesome album (Night Time, My Time is an asset to music) it's never respected enough and finds itself between Triple J and Nova – these artists aren't total sell outs and simply make pop music because they like it, not because they were on X Factor, and so struggle with the bonafide mainstream stations. But then they're far too glossy, female-sung, and bright (even though Sky Ferreira's music has more anger and power in it than most bloke's stuff being championed) to be well patronised on your Triple Js. It's not a sexism thing, it's just this weird "nah, too cool for that" mentality.

That is, of course, until they become so big that they become approved and then cool ala Beyonce (who sucks).

Even the massive Taylor Swift was getting "you're listening to that?" calls before they realised it was one of the best albums of the year.

It's strange that middle ground. Sky Ferreira is right in it. I managed to convince my mum that "you're not the one" was a new Katy Perry song. That naked album cover probably put commercial stations off her, I dunno. it's worthy of recognition though. I think Charli XCX will get commercial plays. Her collaborations with Icona Pop and Iggy Azalea have put her right down that path anyway – despite the former being a JJJ favourite before it hit Fox, Nova et al. Oh and commercials. I cringe when I hear it, it's a pretty shockin' song.

Both are well reviewed and Charli's solo stuff has been flogged overseas apparently, she did that song for that *nuckle John Green's appalling movie as well. The issue I have is that people feel ashamed to cop up to liking a female artist unless she's like Best Coast or as massive and hip as Beyoncé – it happens with Robyn as well. These acts find a decent niche overseas but really struggle to ship themselves in Australia.

Both are well reviewed and Charli's solo stuff has been flogged overseas apparently, she did that song for that ****nuckle John Green's appalling movie as well. The issue I have is that people feel ashamed to cop up to liking a female artist unless she's like Best Coast or as massive and hip as Beyoncé – it happens with Robyn as well. These acts find a decent niche overseas but really struggle to ship themselves in Australia.

Sleater Kinney.
PJ Harvey
Beaches
L7
Veruca Salt

Are female bands or have majority female members and I am very proud to acknowledge my love for them publicly.

About all this best of the decade talk.

I was at a Hungry Jacks in Bathurst and on TV they had either Max or Channel V, not sure which, but they were doing a countdown of the best songs of the 00's, if my memory serves me correctly, Hey Ya was forth, Seven Nation Army was third and Crazy was second. We left before I got to see number one though..

I was at a Hungry Jacks in Bathurst and on TV they had either Max or Channel V, not sure which, but they were doing a countdown of the best songs of the 00's, if my memory serves me correctly, Hey Ya was forth, Seven Nation Army was third and Crazy was second. We left before I got to see number one though..
I think it is channel V they are counting down the top 50 songs of each year. That sounds like 2003? I'm watching the 2004 version now, much nostalgia and great songs!

I'd say Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out would've been number 1 then, and Music Max would've been the channel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dinninit and Fallin' are De La Soul's best songs.

I think it's because I always found Eye Know et al to be a little melancholy despite being so bright and yellow sounding. These things are just so melancholy without the sheen of joy, they're by no means sad, but they sum up so much about that group. Aside from shout outs, my favourite trope in rap is the obsession with chronicling a rise – but those two were all about the other side of it... wondering if you're still real, wondering if you're still relevant, feeling guilty for being at that level. Even when they were at the carefree, coattail side of fame (Ring Ring Ring) they still ditched the idea of rubbing in and excess.

Dinninit, when it is about all the s**t success has brought them, sounds either like a 20-year old imagining all the things you'd do if you were hanging in Hollywood. But then the other bit, when they're talking about buying furs, is like they're telling their friends "dude, I met Whitney Houston." And that's without mentioning that bit where they talk about "stakes is high but we gonna have fun this year." But then again, I've always been interested in calling an end to things and the idea of going out on top versus keeping it going even though it'll dilute.

I mean just hear that guitar tune... Reminds me of being a kid and all the things that made me feel melancholy for the first time – usually weird triggers like France 98 on PS one.

#doinganInRainbows is pretty much the worst way to release music these days. Nobody cared about that Thom Yorke album. The cycle of announcement, single, cover art, interviews, live shows, release is tried and tested and still a good way to build some excitement. It worked back then for big bands, Bloc Party did well with it, but it's just shockingly dumb now.

A lot of these "classic songs" like Hotel California, Stairway To Heaven, Hey Jude, Imagine, We Are The Champions etc. have all been overplayed to the point where I dislike hearing them now.

And another one, Axl Rose's voice is painful to listen to and it just sounds like screeching 99% of the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back