ASADA case against Essendon hanging by a thread (The Age, 1 Nov 14)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think the club would survive 18 months. 12 months would be devastating.

The players could not train with any Aussie rules club. There is no way they would turn up next year in peak condition. The mental load of training all year and not playing would be too much for many players.

Attendence for all games would drop massively, sponsorship would drop, surely some players would leave.

The devasting part of 18 months is the next season would be a write off as well as they would miss key players for 6 weeks.

Could port \ bulldogs or the players e.g Ryder, monfires and crameri sue for lost income e.g, match payments.

The clubs could have a claim with Monfries and Crameri. Ryder was a declared 'buyer beware' situation. The players if convicted I would say not because they would have breached the code and their players contracts for doping..

EFC would survive, no problem there as they have money and generous membership at the top end.

Today marks 3 months this thread the case hangs on has hung in there.

Tough little thread.

I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

I know I can
I know I can
I know i can

The little thread that could.

Last edited:
Not sure how 18 months is a possibility.

24 months is 'standard', and there are 2 possibilities for 50% reductions. Doesn't exactly allow for an 18 month penalty (unless people are talking about 24 months with 6 months backdated).

12 or 24 months starting from November (or thereabouts) does provide the 'upside' of the players returning at the start of pre season training, so even if a little out of shape, they wont be too far off by the time the season comes around.

Brilliant isn't it.

Probably longer if the club tears itself apart over what do with Hird.

Magical times.

Proof there is a footy god.
Imagine Hird coaching all year while the majority of the players sit out banned.

dont see how they could if, as many on here have suggested, the players were in on the entire doping program
Or, were equally culpable as those in charge? Didn't do enough to satisfy that all substances they were given were compliant. When the bottom line of the code says that YOU are responsible (for what goes into your body), then you must accept the consequences if you don't take all possible measures to ensure the program was completely compliant. Now we've got Dank sitting on the sidelines saying they wouldn't inject the player with any substance if the player a) didn't know what it was or b) what it was being given for. So he's dumping them right in it (to protect his arse I suspect).

EFC would survive, no problem there as they have money and generous membership at the top end.

Richmond had money, sponsors and influence in the early 80s (not so much memberships as no one did) I dare say Melbourne did in the 60s.

I'm not having a crack at you by the way. Just pointing out that the mighty can come crashing to earth with a thud and it can be a long time between drinks. With Richmond it was a recruiting war with Collingwood and with Melbourne it was sacking norm smith. Both set them back decades and still to recover.

Everyone seems to think this will be a Carlton salary cap penalty fairly minor period of shitness that essendon will have to endure. If the players sue they are going to be rattling tins.

Richmond had money, sponsors and influence in the early 80s (not so much memberships as no one did) I dare say Melbourne did in the 60s.

I'm not having a crack at you by the way. Just pointing out that the mighty can come crashing to earth with a thud and it can be a long time between drinks. With Richmond it was a recruiting war with Collingwood and with Melbourne it was sacking norm smith. Both set them back decades and still to recover.

Everyone seems to think this will be a Carlton salary cap penalty fairly minor period of shitness that essendon will have to endure. If the players sue they are going to be rattling tins.
I totally agree with your comments, They will survive and there will a long term cost inhibitors involved.

Or, were equally culpable as those in charge? Didn't do enough to satisfy that all substances they were given were compliant. When the bottom line of the code says that YOU are responsible (for what goes into your body), then you must accept the consequences if you don't take all possible measures to ensure the program was completely compliant. Now we've got Dank sitting on the sidelines saying they wouldn't inject the player with any substance if the player a) didn't know what it was or b) what it was being given for. So he's dumping them right in it (to protect his arse I suspect).
but some players testified they werent aware of thymosin, and others werent aware what type it was. Theyve dumped him in it already it would appear. Not sure Dank has a leg to stand on if he doesnt have any records like hes claimed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but some players testified they werent aware of thymosin, and others werent aware what type it was. Theyve dumped him in it already it would appear. Not sure Dank has a leg to stand on if he doesnt have any records like hes claimed
Assuming they told the truth. Another possible $64 000 question.

Arguably Carlton hasn't really recovered from their salary cap penalties. They're hardly as strong as they were beforehand.

You do realise that Dank will never be able to provide evidence?

Regardless if it's an SMS, email, text document. It can all be altered, and I could send you an email right now, and say its from Tony Abbott

Arguably Carlton hasn't really recovered from their salary cap penalties. They're hardly as strong as they were beforehand.

How s**t were we from 1983 to what, three years ago? Two separate save our skins campaigns, half a dozen spoons and a handful of final series (half of those seasons with a 50% chance of making the final Series).

Carlton win a few spoons and they carry on like it was the end of the world.

You do realise that Dank will never be able to provide evidence?

Regardless if it's an SMS, email, text document. It can all be altered, and I could send you an email right now, and say its from Tony Abbott

Plenty of ways to corroborate or verify the authenticity of such things. Even more when the govt has ISP and Telcos holding on to metadata very soon!

If they knew that then why didn't they do a deal with Asada, take their medicine and got this over and done with ages ago?

I have posted numerous times that deals were off the table after the first SC Notice - Of course some on the HTB deny any deal.

If the players are found guilty and penalised 18 months then AFL should put the sword to EFC because despite the PR campaign they actively undertook this program.

For an 18 months sentence the players would be suspended until about rd 8 or 9 in 2016. All players should be declared free agents and essendon not give the opportunity to have top up players in 2016, thus they would not be able to redraft the entire 17 as this wouldn't allow them to field a side.

It harsh but so is what they have done. this won't occur due to the AFL being run as a business rather than a sporting body but thoughts should be given to the fact that the club who organised this whole thing should be penalised rather than just the players.

Maybe the club should be suspended for two seasons and the AFL just hand back some money to the broadcasters from the future fund (the issue is the right thing to do vs being a business)

So you in effect are deciding that players must leave EFC without their consent - Did you think this out !

Poor recruiting and development hurt us more. We were stuffed even before the penalties came, though they just made it a lot harder to rebuild.

you dont think it'd be a bit rich for players who decide to cheat by using PEDs to then turn around and sue the club they played for over loss of income during their bans?
That it is but I'm not naive enough to think that it wont happen

I have posted numerous times that deals were off the table after the first SC Notice - Of course some on the HTB deny any deal.
Are you talking about the deals that Caro reported to be true?
Funny how McD"s take on things were completely different to what Caro claimed.
You must be one of those people who think ASADA just make s**t up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back