Swans NAB Challenge 2015 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pumped even though it starts with Hawks v Pies , footy is sort of back. Friday week really looking forward to these pre season moves , Reid back , Jetta etc etc ( if paly that ) and personally really wanna see Melican other than pre season training.
What's impressed you about him so far? Who would you say he plays like? Melican that is.

Nankervis. Whilst all the talk is of our deep midfield which is getting ever deeper, I really think one of the keys to our success is this big bloke. I've loved what I've seen in the highlights reels and he seems to have that campaigner about him that was missing in that game that we don't talk about.

What's impressed you about him so far? Who would you say he plays like? Melican that is.
Personal opinion from what I seen at training , only my opinion and only training at the end of the day but I really think he looks ok , very quick and competitive much like a aj/rance

What are the chances of a good crowd showing up for the Lions game in Coffs Harbour? I know it's NAB Challenge but it's pretty rare for any form of AFL action to take place in Coffs Harbour. If Buddy makes an appearance it could make a world of difference. What do you guys think?

What are the chances of a good crowd showing up for the Lions game in Coffs Harbour? I know it's NAB Challenge but it's pretty rare for any form of AFL action to take place in Coffs Harbour. If Buddy makes an appearance it could make a world of difference. What do you guys think?

I think it's pretty doubtful. The club seems to be treading very lightly with him this preseason, I don't think they are going to play him in more than two games. In fact I think he's likely to feature in only one, most likely the last game before the season begins.

Full squad just got released.

Davis, Heeney, Hiscox, Melican to join Nankervis, Robinson and Marsh for their first hitout.

Jarrad McVeigh, Kurt Tippett, Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes and Ted Richards are the only senior players set to sit out the match against the Lions.

Pretty strong team.

Strong aside from KP stocks which to me is a good thing because Xavier Richards will be properly tested. Lions have named a strong squad and although their key positions stocks aren't overly experienced or stellar, McGuane, Staker, McStay and Close have all done more at senior level than Richards has so it will be a good gauge for him.

Reid will likely need to play forward without any of our best three talls playing.

Very keen to see Nankervis play after not doing much last week. Hope he gets decent minutes in the ruck. Jones, Heeney, Melican, B.Jack and Robinson also interest me greatly. The last two particularly are being talked up by players and coaches alike, they strike me as two good candidates for breakout years a la Lloyd and Harry last year.

Jones, Heeney, Melican, B.Jack and Robinson also interest me greatly. The last two particularly are being talked up by players and coaches alike, they strike me as two good candidates for breakout years a la Lloyd and Harry last year.

No BoN (Brother of Nathan) in the team list. Also disappointed no Aliir, would have loved to see him measure up against the Lions talls.

Thing that pops straight out for me is the lack of a plan B or depth in the forwardline with no Buddy, Tippett, Goodes, Membrey i was kinda surprised to see Rose not picked i know you can't play them all.

Guessing they will throw Reid forward :/ where i would of liked to see him start back for the NAB.

There will be a very good crowd in Coffs. There is a very healthy Aussie Rules comp there. In fact the Coffs Swans, who I followed when there, played in the GF and lost to the Sawtell/Toormina Saints. Sawtell has won the comp heaps and won twice while I lived there. The crowd will be big. Coffs love the big time comp coming to town and no matter what footy they follow they will be out to see this one.

Looking forward to seeing these young fellas. Unfortunately I'm working when the game is on so will have to record it and watch it when I get home.

Very keen to see how Heeney, Davis, Hiscox, Robinson, Nankervis, Hewitt, Richards and Melican go

I'm wondering if the coaches are leaving Aliir and Zac for the Freo game. For Aliir it will be a good test as they have heaps of talls like Taberner, Clarke, Griffin. Hannath or Hurley. Whichever they play. For Zac it would be good to see his aggression against someone like Ballantyne or Walters.

Thing that pops straight out for me is the lack of a plan B or depth in the forwardline with no Buddy, Tippett, Goodes, Membrey i was kinda surprised to see Rose not picked i know you can't play them all.

Guessing they will throw Reid forward :/ where i would of liked to see him start back for the NAB.
If you take 4 key forwards out of any side there is no plan B. For mine Sam Reid is petty good target given the outs. Keen to see B Jack and Robinson operate in the forward line.

I doubt we'll see a particularly high-scoring affair here. Looking at the team lists , neither side is going to have a good forward line in, they'll both have gun midfields and backlines that should be good enough to take care of their opposing forwards for the most part.

If we are planning to play Reid back, I will be very disappointed if Horse plays him forward. NAB Cup if about combinations it isn't about results. If he is going to be a defender, he needs match fitness as a defender.

No Teddy so an ideal opportunity for Reid to play a long stint as a KPD.

We will cobble together a forward combination, Nankervis is the obvious tall forward based on his NEAFL form last year, probably Davis the other key fwd and opportunity for guys like BJ, Heeney and Robinson can stake a claim as the smaller forwards.

Always great to see the new players either live or on TV, looking forward to the game and hoping a handful of the newies shine given our depth problems this year.

I'll be very interested in the results - and not because NAB wins mean anything at all for regular season games.

But it will show whether the players truly believe they have to earn their spots and not just walk into them. If they do, they will put in effort and they will beat Brisbane comfortably. And that will be a fantastic thing.

Malceski may not be such a loss going by his NAB hit out. Bugger all impact and when he did get it he just bombed it long. Looking forward to seeing how we cover his position this year. Could really freshen up our rebound which, to be honest, has become a bit predictable and stale. A stream of rebounding defenders, Rohan, Jetta, Jones, Rampe all tearing out of defence. I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back