Fad Diets and Quackery

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been a lot of friction in some threads over the last year or so with discussing certain health and nutrition trends.

People in those threads feel, quite wrongly, that they should not be questioned about their beliefs.

Wrong as that is, I think it would be better to have a thread like this where people can interact without interrupting the back-patting and woo-pushing in those fad diet threads.

It is not ideal, but the sensitivity of people over their chosen fad diet means we should give them a little space in those threads.

evans.jpg

fads-fun-sticks-single__56969_zoom.jpg

This is the first appearance of a fad on these boards.

• Admin
So this Jessica Ainscough death seems to have finally given some air to the doctors willing to talk about non-medical treatments.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...atient-dies-nothing-we-never-talk?CMP=soc_567

Gerson therapy is promoted as “the natural treatment that activates the body’s extraordinary ability to heal itself”. The Cancer Research UK website explains that it requires an individual to consume nine (yes, nine) kilos of fruit and vegetables and use three or four coffee enemas every day. There is a discreet mention that “in certain situations Gerson therapy could be very harmful to health”.

I have little expectation that someone who would sell false hope to a vulnerable patient would talk me through their reasons why.​

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2015/02/27/the-wellness-warrior-jess-ainscough-has-passed-away/

She was young. She was telegenic. She was very likable and soon became very media-savvy. Over seven years, she built up an impressive empire of “natural healing” modalities, enabled, of course, by credulous reporting. She wrote books. She appeared on television. She sold cookbooks, cooking supplies, and various other implements necessary for a “natural” lifestyle.

Now that she is gone, what I want to know is this: Who are the quacks who enabled her and egged her on? Who are the quacks who conned her into believing that Gerson therapy would save her life? Who are the quacks whose influence led her to become the Wellness Warrior in the first place? They helped create the Wellness Warrior, and Jess Ainscough has finally paid the price.​

nine (yes, nine) kilos of fruit and vegetables and use three or four coffee enemas every day.
Sounds like pfun.
I eat like a horse but there's no way I'd manage to chop through 9 kgs of food per day.

Cheese pizzas and two cans of coke every meal?
*smashes iPad in a rage*

The above diet does tend to remind me of those 'cabbage soup only' diets or the 'orange' diet.
Anything overly restrictive is useless

Natural remedies/fads are a crock, unless there are studies and/or the author has been peer reviewed from a scholar level I do not consider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the 2nd best way to filter your coffee before drinking it if you can't afford a plunger.

It's a required taste
Acquired. The word you are looking for is acquired.

Not really a fad, more of a scam. Im sick and tired of seeing the clickbait ads on facebook and other sites that say that taking two certain products like protein powder and some testosterone supplement to lose massive amounts of weight quickly. They post fake statuses to make it seem legit when in fact its a scam. As someone who is trying to lose a large amount of weight, its a bit irritating to see these quick ways out of the problem, only to see that it results in nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back