Expansion Where is Wellington, New Zealand at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on, people are actually expecting this fixture to draw a big crowd?

Two bottom-four certs, playing in a different country to which they have no connection. What did people think would happen today?

Definitely not a seven goal victory to the Mighty Baggers.

Amirite?

Forgive my ignorance, this might have been answered before, but why don't they go to Aukland?

The reason their cricket grounds seem like tennis courts is because they're often tiny grounds that are also rugby fields.

I believe Eden Park, the cricket ground in Auckland, is only about 130-140m from end to end - it's just far too small for AFL. You'd need to play a 14-a-side game.

I have no issue with the odd game in New Zealand if it is a means to financially benefit a struggling club like St. Kilda. I don't think the AFL realistically intend to expand across the Tasman. What I do have an issue with is the presence of this game, it's embarrassingly paltry crowds and complete lack of significance to the New Zealand people, on ANZAC Day each year, regardless of how good the two sides are that participate. There is something about the adoption of an Australian Rules game in New Zealand as a means to celebrate ANZAC Day that just feels uncomfortable, haphazardly conceived and commercialized. Not a fan.

What's with the hawks supporters coming in here bitching about them not getting some slice of a pie or something? People complain about "propping" up the smaller clubs then turn around and moan when said clubs try something to grow their brand and gain cash. Its just unfortunate weve coincided with a big rebuild and suck because of it.

why people look at this as anything but a cash grab for the saints i have no idea, its no different then canberra, darwin, cairns or hobart.

For the AFL its about brand recognition. its not about growing the game, there's no intention of putting a side in these locations. All its does for the AFL is boost the Image of the AFL. For the host clubs its a nice little payday and for the local governments they get a modest tourism boost and justify they can justify their "events" budget.

why people look at this as anything but a cash grab for the saints i have no idea, its no different then canberra, darwin, cairns or hobart.

For the AFL its about brand recognition. its not about growing the game, there's no intention of putting a side in these locations. All its does for the AFL is boost the Image of the AFL. For the host clubs its a nice little payday and for the local governments they get a modest tourism boost and justify they can justify their "events" budget.

Saints vs Carlton does exactly the opposite. If they want to boost image put a proper game there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wellington is basically the same size as Canberra - the gws Suns match got 7000 so it's actually not a bad crowd though probably with a lot of giveaways.

If NZ wasn't so far away from WA I would consider going to watch Freo there - it's actually a great city to visit ....

The saints tries to muscle in on the Hawks in Launceston, and then the Hawks bailed them out

It's kind of a running joke since the 60's, the Hawks do something, then the saints try to do the exact same thing

Even now with nz, the Hawks are putting in the time through sponsorship, tours, etc (and have been for over 10 yrs), whilst the saints idea of investing is putting up a few signs around the place - after the Hawks did the work
So investing in somewhere is doing a few tours but putting up signs is not worthwhile?

If you honestly believe that putting up a few signs will get people in, you have nfi

It's 2015, the world has moved past the "build it and they will come" marketing techniques
Please regale us with your marketing genius then and help a fledgling team break into a new marketplace.

In my spare time, I am chair of AFL New Zealand. The following statements might seem absolutely bizarre and unbelievable for some of you, but before you dismiss them, just remember that they are based on meetings/conversations with the executives and directors of both Hawthorn and St Kilda, as well as AFL executives and commissioners. Of course, this doesn't mean that I have been part of every conversation or decision.

1. Hawthorn do not run the junior competition in New Zealand. AFL NZ does that. Yes HFC, provide us with some resources to do this, but it is a (very) small part of the equation.
2. Same goes for high performance. We run it with some help from AFL, HFC and the Saints (and a variety of other stakeholders). The HP program is an arm of AFLNZ, nit the HFC. I should note our U16 team recently played the Swans academy and on last Friday our open-age team played the AFL Level 1 team in Wellington. Our best talent is making their way onto the international lists at HFC, Saints and Melbourne. Its only small, but it is happening. The biggest funder of the HP program are the players themselves - it is for the most part user-pays.
3. HFCs original motives to get involved in New Zealand centred on talent/recruitment. We have plenty of it, we just need too find it early enough to get them on the pathway to an AFL club.
4. To the best of my knowledge, HFC have never offered to play in New Zealand...although i suspect they were very interested in doing so. Therefore, I think its incorrect to say the AFL declined their offer. With seven games at the MGC and four in Tassie, they never had a home game to bring to NZ. If the HFC-Tassie deal had of collapsed a few years ago (which it nearly did), then I think HFC would have seriously explored bringing their Tassie model to New Zealand.
5. Fair to say that nobody is happy with the current attendances for the Wellington game. All stakeholders continue too search for a better approach. Crowds for last week Super Rugbv game in Wellington was 13000. The Wellington Phoenix have not had a crowd bigger than 11000 so far this year. So relatively speaking the crowd is not as bad as some would suggest. Remember also that Wellington has a population of between 200000 and 400000 (depending on where you want to draw the border). It is not a big place. So 10000 locals represent 2.5% of the local population. In Melbourne with a population of 4M, 2.5% would equate to 100000 people. FYI, Auckland has a population of 1.4M.
6. The Wellington match is definitely a Saints initiative. it is not driven by the AFL, although the AFL does support the match in many ways.
7. Why Wellington? Only city with an AFL-friendly stadium. The Auckland 10 year strategy and budget is to be announced this week and we are very confident that an AFL-friendly stadium will be amongst the announcements...and ready to host AFL fixtures in 2018.
8. If we all had one magic wand, it would be to get regular and consistent and sustained broadcasting of the AFL competition. Tough to increase awareness and interest to both play the age and attend a fixture without it. Its a not a guarantee of success, but it would make life easier for all concerned.
9. Those that argue that the match is about the Saints generating 'more money' than what they would from a game in Melbourne would probably be correct...but there is more to it than just that. No different from HFC hawks in Tassie or any other home game that have been 'sold' in years gone by.
10. The current ladder position of Carlton or StKilda have little or no influence the attraction of the event for locals. IMHO, you could schedule whatever two teams you want the two most popular in Australia or the top two teams - and the the crowd size would not change alot.

Want to know more about AFL NZ, go here: http://aflnz.co.nz

Doesn't help that the previous games there have been pretty bad.
Lots of comments on NZ sports radio last year from fans who went and left before the end, as it was like a game of under 10 rugby with a mass of bodies following the ball round, and very little free flowing footy. The stadium is pretty small too which doesn't help

I went to the game and the atmosphere in the city was great. Unfortunately Richardson said that the AFL wants to bail on it but the Saints want to stay. The AFL is apparently looking at moving it to Auckland, otherwise it's highly likely that the game won't happen again.

I went to the game and the atmosphere in the city was great. Unfortunately Richardson said that the AFL wants to bail on it but the Saints want to stay. The AFL is apparently looking at moving it to Auckland, otherwise it's highly likely that the game won't happen again.

that ties in with the post by Geoff Dickson ( 2 above)

In my spare time, I am chair of AFL New Zealand. The following statements might seem absolutely bizarre and unbelievable for some of you, but before you dismiss them, just remember that they are based on meetings/conversations with the executives and directors of both Hawthorn and St Kilda, as well as AFL executives and commissioners. Of course, this doesn't mean that I have been part of every conversation or decision.

1. Hawthorn do not run the junior competition in New Zealand. AFL NZ does that. Yes HFC, provide us with some resources to do this, but it is a (very) small part of the equation.
2. Same goes for high performance. We run it with some help from AFL, HFC and the Saints (and a variety of other stakeholders). The HP program is an arm of AFLNZ, nit the HFC. I should note our U16 team recently played the Swans academy and on last Friday our open-age team played the AFL Level 1 team in Wellington. Our best talent is making their way onto the international lists at HFC, Saints and Melbourne. Its only small, but it is happening. The biggest funder of the HP program are the players themselves - it is for the most part user-pays.
3. HFCs original motives to get involved in New Zealand centred on talent/recruitment. We have plenty of it, we just need too find it early enough to get them on the pathway to an AFL club.
4. To the best of my knowledge, HFC have never offered to play in New Zealand...although i suspect they were very interested in doing so. Therefore, I think its incorrect to say the AFL declined their offer. With seven games at the MGC and four in Tassie, they never had a home game to bring to NZ. If the HFC-Tassie deal had of collapsed a few years ago (which it nearly did), then I think HFC would have seriously explored bringing their Tassie model to New Zealand.
5. Fair to say that nobody is happy with the current attendances for the Wellington game. All stakeholders continue too search for a better approach. Crowds for last week Super Rugbv game in Wellington was 13000. The Wellington Phoenix have not had a crowd bigger than 11000 so far this year. So relatively speaking the crowd is not as bad as some would suggest. Remember also that Wellington has a population of between 200000 and 400000 (depending on where you want to draw the border). It is not a big place. So 10000 locals represent 2.5% of the local population. In Melbourne with a population of 4M, 2.5% would equate to 100000 people. FYI, Auckland has a population of 1.4M.
6. The Wellington match is definitely a Saints initiative. it is not driven by the AFL, although the AFL does support the match in many ways.
7. Why Wellington? Only city with an AFL-friendly stadium. The Auckland 10 year strategy and budget is to be announced this week and we are very confident that an AFL-friendly stadium will be amongst the announcements...and ready to host AFL fixtures in 2018.
8. If we all had one magic wand, it would be to get regular and consistent and sustained broadcasting of the AFL competition. Tough to increase awareness and interest to both play the age and attend a fixture without it. Its a not a guarantee of success, but it would make life easier for all concerned.
9. Those that argue that the match is about the Saints generating 'more money' than what they would from a game in Melbourne would probably be correct...but there is more to it than just that. No different from HFC hawks in Tassie or any other home game that have been 'sold' in years gone by.
10. The current ladder position of Carlton or StKilda have little or no influence the attraction of the event for locals. IMHO, you could schedule whatever two teams you want the two most popular in Australia or the top two teams - and the the crowd size would not change alot.

Want to know more about AFL NZ, go here: http://aflnz.co.nz

thanks Geoff, good to get some accurate info.

I think it is pretty obvious the talent is in NZ, it is just a matter getting it young enough, i would imagine that RU with far more kicking than RL would be beneficial to players moving between sports.

The experiment is dead. Never going to take off over there. Its nearly nrl like numbers.

I wonder how many of that crowd were aussie expats aswell
That's almost the point. The city council, or its equivalent, chages local businesses to cover the costs of the games in the hope that a few thousdand exta Australians will be in Wellington (so, not ex-pats, but people making the trip to see their team).
I daresay more Saints fans made the trip the first year than subsequently for the novelty factor, and now it is more likely to be their opposition who brings a traveling fan base, for the novelty factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back