Good article on the history of AFL Video Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2007
Magpieland!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Orlando Magic & Florida Panthers
Nice, interesting read with alot of good points be it from last year but still worth a read.

AFL Games - underwelming

Alot of obvious points here but the fact remains the AFL don't get behind these titles or atleast help fund them or keep them 'afloat'.

It is strange how little the AFL advertise their own video games. I remember around the time of AFL 99 they had little pre game comps on the big screen before the game. Whoever kicked the first goal won and got a copy of the game IIRC.

As far as the future of AFL games goes it's pretty simple to me. Make an effort to get Big Ant back onto it. You're not ever going to get a big studio with a big budget to make an AFL game, the best you can do is to get a studio that actually cares about the sport. My only worry is that Big Ant might be too busy these days with cricket, rugby league, la crosse and sprint cars to make more AFL games.

I think Ross and Big Ant would love to make a franchise game and AFL is perfect for it but like he said in the other post "it's not upto them". Which is sad, surely the AFL could provide its fan with a developer (BigAnt) who can if given the chance continue to develop a game that will no doubt satisfy a growing fanbase.

I think Ross and Big Ant would love to make a franchise game and AFL is perfect for it but like he said in the other post "it's not upto them".

Well they're becoming pretty big these days so I assume Tru Blu want their time spend on more profitable games.

Well they're becoming pretty big these days so I assume Tru Blu want their time spend on more profitable games.

well that's the sad part about it. The AFL doesn't get behind these games and therefore it doesn't sell well enough to continue :(

I'm almost to the point where i would just like to hear of anyone making an afl game. I also remember hearing on the radio or somewhere that the afl are playing matches overseas like what happened on the weekend when they played at new zealand and how i think port adelaide want to play a game in china to grow the sport but i believe that if they did fund a video game which was good that it would grow an overseas interest into afl more successfully.

I'm almost to the point where i would just like to hear of anyone making an afl game. I also remember hearing on the radio or somewhere that the afl are playing matches overseas like what happened on the weekend when they played at new zealand and how i think port adelaide want to play a game in china to grow the sport but i believe that if they did fund a video game which was good that it would grow an overseas interest into afl more successfully.

Couldn't agree more. I just get the feeling that an awesome AFL game would pull in it's fair share of neutrals. Flying speccies, chunky tackles, crazy goals, the odd player collision, if you could make all these dynamics feel genuinely tactile and the game easy enough to pick up and play I think it would have a broad appeal. Sell it for a cheaper price globally on PSN, Steam and the like, people would check it out for curiosity alone. I'm sure it would get a cult following. It just has to be really fun.

The disappointing thing is that if the AFL threw their weight behind even one edition, where AI issues etc were resolved and game structure issues also, I feel like that would then give a framework for all other games to be built upon.

The only way I ever got into soccer, basketball and wrestling was by playing their video games every year. If AFL did the same, thats a whole market of young people who can grow up overseas playing AFL on their consoles and maybe trying it out for real

The only way I ever got into soccer, basketball and wrestling was by playing their video games every year. If AFL did the same, thats a whole market of young people who can grow up overseas playing AFL on their consoles and maybe trying it out for real

I Remeber I was over at a mates house and we played afl, nba and wwe at different occasions and I thought they were fun so I bought them a couple days later and from there that's we're I gained an interest into the sports. So with a decent afl game you could appeal to a huge audience for the afl as you said

Well with Soccers increasing popularity and the ability to play the A League in Fifa.. The AFL are silly not to try and get something going...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back