Remove this Banner Ad

FavoriteSun

All Australian
Feb 8, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Gold Coast
All,

5 years in football - just can't get the wheels to turn so well. Good straightline bursts but if I miss my target (mark or bump/tackle) I have a massive turning radius. What can I do on my own to try to improve this? Running drills etc is what I am after for my off time.

There is a fitness test called the illinois agility run which is a test to conduct how quickly you can go over a course and turn. Setting this up and going over it is great for your agility.

Even setting up cones maybe 1-2m apart in a 15m area and doing a set course through them is great as well. I'll make a diagram to show you what I mean.

There is a fitness test called the illinois agility run which is a test to conduct how quickly you can go over a course and turn. Setting this up and going over it is great for your agility.

Even setting up cones maybe 1-2m apart in a 15m area and doing a set course through them is great as well. I'll make a diagram to show you what I mean.

Perfect thanks!

Plyometrics is perfect for this. THE method to aid your agility.

AND do lots of core strength exercises.

All,

5 years in football - just can't get the wheels to turn so well. Good straightline bursts but if I miss my target (mark or bump/tackle) I have a massive turning radius. What can I do on my own to try to improve this? Running drills etc is what I am after for my off time.

Play some basketball. Seriously.

Sports like footy and soccer often get you running in straight lines one way, or one way and then back the other, so your body is probably not as "used to" changes of direction and 360 degree movement.

I feel that's why there's more of a prevalence of knee injuries in football than basketball, too, despite all the running, jumping and changes of direction in the latter, and playing on a harder surface without the "give" of grass - footy players bodies, joints, muscles and tendons just aren't used to particular movements and stresses, so when an "odd one" comes, their body breaks down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back