R8: Port v Richmond review

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best football has come in the first half vs Hawks and against Norf.

Against Hawthorn, we steamrolled them in to controlling the ball in our half, and hitting up our forwards who played a terrific structure and exquisite skills. Players held their positions and didn't flood forward, and rebounded every Hawthorn clearance with intent and execution. Against North, we were allowed to play a fast attacking game that was back and forth, a shootout, and that is how North let us play, both teams rolled the dice with fast attacking football, and we finished in front.

Outside of that, we haven't looked good. Sheer effort carried us to the end vs Freo, and vs Adelaide, the cream rose to the top after Adelaide were ineffective and scrappy with the ball, and we counter attacked. Also played a forward line more often than not that game, and hit them up on leads close to goal.

So that's 2 and a half good performance. Even if the players get the skills back, the structure, the bare bones, is still broken. Paper over cracks. That's why I'm not confident we can turn it around.

Come on mate suck it up and be a sport
Sucking it up is a teams supporters being critical of poor performances. Coming in to offer that is plain trolling. There have been a couple of classy Tigers fans posting on the result, to wish Kane the best. You aren't one of them. It takes a 'special fan' of any club to go vicariously boast on another teams forum, rather then celebrate on their own.

Sucking it up is a teams supporters being critical of poor performances. Coming in to offer that is plain trolling. There have been a couple of classy Tigers fans posting on the result, to wish Kane the best. You aren't one of them. It takes a 'special fan' of any club to go vicariously boast on another teams forum, rather then celebrate on their own.

They are still stitching up their arses from the new hole we tore them in the finals. Richmond are fantastic at this sort of s**t then getting eggs in their faces later on. Done nothing ever so its cute when their fans have a stab.

One of the few players trying to get something going and you complain? Crikey.
Was making an observation...

On his haircut.

Didn't even mention his game.

Crikey.

You should see the posts I've put on my own board

Listen, if you can't take some light hearted ribbing give it up - I have paid homage to Kane Cornes and made the observation that the addition of Ryder and Voss hasn't improved things - I take it you disagree? Anyway good luck to KC and the gang he was a gem

Ciao

The addition of ryder has nothing to do with our downfall the past month... we have still beaten good sides so they are not the reason we are losing..

Anyway *off

You should see the posts I've put on my own board

Listen, if you can't take some light hearted ribbing give it up - I have paid homage to Kane Cornes and made the observation that the addition of Ryder and Voss hasn't improved things - I take it you disagree? Anyway good luck to KC and the gang he was a gem

Ciao
You should probably bugger off before you get a holiday.. just sayin'

Hartlett - Another 20 disposal game to Hammer but once again I cant remember too much of what he did. Just had no positive influence on the game. Turned the ball over far too much and at least twice it resulted in goals to the opposition. I'm not sure where we go from here with Hammer. Deserves to be dropped. Can Ken pull that trigger though?

Could have been 3 but his terrible kick across goal in the first quarter was followed by an even worse one by Chaplin who marked it.

Triple SSS.

SKILL - Absolutely woeful. Hand, foot i dont give a shlt. Its just woeful
STRUCTURE - None. Sorta like watching the minnies at the moment. See ball, everyone runs to ball then get exposed everywhere.
SPEAK - are players talking to each other, are they calling when the ball is theirs or when their 'hot'. Players look genuinely suprised when the ball comes to them.

Other then that, teams have worked us out and are making us look baaad.Time to lift and show the supporters you give a shlt about turning it around

Well done Richmond giving Kane a guard of honour.

Anyone would. Annoyed he toweled up Cotchin but didn't expect anything else out of his last game. Shame you're losing him but wish him the best. Beat Melbourne for us next week, because we certainly can't do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty flat and Liverpool is sending off Gerrard in a similar (actually embarrassingly worse as I type) fashion which is proving to make me even more frustrated at sports tonight.

What a s**t day.
I'm Stoke'd.

We played well (relatively speaking) against Hawthorn and North because Hawthorn and North are quality teams who were happy to take us on at a real game of football and back themselves in to get the better of us. The results were two close, entertaining, high scoring games. Teams like West Coast/Brisbane/Richmond are battlers who know they wouldn't beat us man for man so resort to negative, defensive football. So far, we haven't been able to respond well to these tactics. And with Paul Roos' Melbourne next week, we don't have to wait too long for another crack at finding a solution to the problem.

Can anyone in our side kick over 40m.

I know frees had nothing to do with it in the end but was there anything more annoying than seeing Riewoldt getting an obvious one off an injured Trengove when the same thing had happened to Schulz down the other end all night? But the more annoying thing was that no-one went to help Trengove when he was injured and the ball was going to get into their goal area. In 2004 I saw Toby Thurstans sprint 200 metres at Etihad to cover when Brendon Lade was injured in defence, by his presence keeping the ball away from the opposition goal. Where was this kind of effort?

It was appalling that Trengove was even on the ground, trainer with him and the ball is coming back they should of been heading of the ground because I actually felt really bad for Trengove having to make that effort when seriously in bad shape.

It was a very poor look.

We played well (relatively speaking) against Hawthorn and North because Hawthorn and North are quality teams who were happy to take us on at a real game of football and back themselves in to get the better of us. The results were two close, entertaining, high scoring games. Teams like West Coast/Brisbane/Richmond are battlers who know they wouldn't beat us man for man so resort to negative, defensive football. So far, we haven't been able to respond well to these tactics. And with Paul Roos' Melbourne next week, we don't have to wait too long for another crack at finding a solution to the problem.

Our chances of winning against Melbourne will depend on how well they play the Roos style of game with the Alice conditions.

I know you guys are not keen on many opposition supporters posting around on your board at the moment, so I hope I am not barraged for posting lol

This season has been largely disappointing for you guys, but you guys are still a very young team. Your development as a club is currently miles ahead of what others at the same age and experience would be.

I want you guys to look at Hawthorn in 2008. Their current stars were much younger then. They got a Premiership in what they considered to be ahead of schedule and then fell out of the 8 completely the following year. 2010 and 2011 showed them to be competitive until they bursted into a GF in 2012, only to fall short. After that, they claimed back-to-back Premierships and are going for a third this year if it works out.

This is the path I see Port Adelaide taking rather than the Adelaide and West Coast path. Your list is solid, but you will meet with some dry patches along the way. Criticisers of your club may not be reminding you of this, but most successful clubs hit a rough patch before success, and your rough patch is now.

I am confident that it will turn around at some point, but I am not sure when it will. All this requires is patience and perseverance. I am also confident that the rest will all fall into place like it did for Hawthorn

Bring back Shaun Rehn. It was he who decided to sub out our only ruck for us to go on and win the game.

Sorry Kern but no guts no glory applies to coaches just as it does to players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back