Hillsong United - Where do they rank in terms of Australia's biggest bands?

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I want to say from the start that this thread is NOT a debate about religion. My question is purely from a music point of view could Hillsong United lay claim to being the biggest band in Australia? and how do people rate them musically (not your views on Christianity).

For those who haven't heard they are probably the biggest Christian band in the world maybe second depending on whether you count U2 as a Christian band which is a topic of debate.

Hillsong is actually the best known Australian brand in the world. They are starting to a bit of mainstream attention in Australia, played on channel 7 last week, probably better known outside of Australia then in Australia.

Hillsong is actually the best known Australian brand in the world. They are starting to a bit of mainstream attention in Australia, played on channel 7 last week, probably better known outside of Australia then in Australia.

It's fair to say they're popular among the Hillsong mob. For the rest of the world, I don't imagine many *s are given.

Mainstream success is no real indication of talent.

It's fair to say they're popular among the Hillsong mob. For the rest of the world, I don't imagine many ****s are given.

Mainstream success is no real indication of talent.
definetely agree with your second point here. Its not justamongst the Hillsong mob though I feel its the wider Christian community in Australia. In the USA they are probably known outside the Christian community, its a bit different over the many Christian artists are known in the mainstream. In Australia not a lot of Christian artists have had mainstream success, Switchfoot and Evermore are two examples that have had some success.

Hillsong United are a brand, not a band. A group comprised of interchangeable and replaceable pieces, underwritten by the Hillsong Church (Corporation).

The music they put out is dross. Banal, generic and cliché riddled stories of faith, God and joy. Hillsong United exists solely to promote the interests of the Hillsong Corporation, and is just another arm of their business operation.

Hillsong United are a brand, not a band. A group comprised of interchangeable and replaceable pieces, underwritten by the Hillsong Church (Corporation).

The music they put out is dross. Banal, generic and cliché riddled stories of faith, God and joy. Hillsong United exists solely to promote the interests of the Hillsong Corporation, and is just another arm of their business operation.
A bit like The Wiggles, then.

Just to clarify I am not involved with Hillsong and attend a very Different church. Just keen to throw this out there. However there is some fantastic Christian music out there that I believe people can enjoy for the quality regardless of their beliefs.

I prefer this church:

51Oz397HU1L._SX355_.jpg

Generic, vacuous, vapid and theologically empty music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Christianity meets pop banality. Take a few standard Christian sounding words, put them in a pop blender, and see what happens.

Occasionally dish out some good songs, more so in the early days. But they are basically a factory, so you'd have to hope that at least some of what they put out is actually decent.

Also one of the leaders of a pet annoyance of mine - bridges in worship music.

EDIT: It is also unsurpising that their best song of recent times comes from using the Apostles' Creed, a work with actual theological substance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back