Who is Australia's best ever singer/songwriter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wormkilla

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Having a chat with my mate about this the other day - Nick Cave is no doubt an outstanding lyricist, but I reckon 95%+ of the public couldn't name a single song of his and his most well known song has 7 million spotify hits. Compared to the likes of Sia who has over a billion hits on spotify for multiple songs riddiled with catchy hooks, and has penned many songs for other artists that people don't even know she wrote.

So in your opinion who is Australia's best ever singer/songwriter? Does it come down to spotify hits, catchy hooks or does it come down to the quality of lyrics and musicianship, or perhaps the musican's scope of work? Cave has produced film scores for example...

Last edited:
Paul Kelly would probably be most people's choice, he has written some of Australia's most enduring songs.

Don Walker wrote most of Cold Chisel's most loved songs, but he wasn't a singer.

The late, great Archie Roach should also be in conversation, he wrote some hard hitting, powerful songs going back as far as his debut in 1990.

My pick would be Suzie Higgie, from 1990's Indie rock band the Falling Joys. It's a shame they aren't so well known, as she wrote some of the most beautiful songs during the 1990's that I still love and listen to today.

Having a chat with my mate about this the other day - Nick Cave is no doubt an outstanding lyricist, but I reckon 95%+ of the public couldn't name a single song of his and his most well known song has 7 million spotify hits. Compared to the likes of Sia who has over a billion hits on spotify for multiple songs riddiled with catchy hooks, and has penned many songs for other artists that people don't even know she wrote.

So in your opinion who is Australia's best ever singer/songwriter? Does it come down to spotify hits, catchy hooks or does it come down to the quality of lyrics and musicianship, or perhaps the musican's scope of work? Cave has produced film scores for example...
I loved Nick Cave in The Birthday Party but solo he comes across (to me) as the most pretentious w*nker imaginable. As soon as someone calls themselves an 'artist' is almost always the time to stop listening.

I wish all these 'artists' would define what they mean by 'art'. Most of them wouldn't be able to do so clearly.

Mark Seymour is right up there as well as Birthday Party-era Nick Cave (not solo Cave).

If the OP means acoustic-guitar-type-folky-dribble, not my genre - apart from His Bobness (and he's obviously not Aussie).

Is Bernard Fanning worth a mention? Both with the Finger and solo?

A fantastic partnership was The Saints, Chris Bailey and Ed Kuepper. After Ed left, Chris wrote most of the "Casablanca" album (except 1 song in which he was a co-writer). This album, along with the early Saints albums, are absolute classics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it hard believe that no one has mentioned Ross Wilson, Eagle Rock, Come Said The Boy, Cool World, Almost the entire "Living in the 70's" album, Daddy Cool, State of the Heart, A Touch of Paradise, Million Dollar Riff, Come Back Again, to name a few. Joe Camalleri would also have to be up there. Hit and Run, Shape I'm In, Hold On To Me, Chained To The Wheel, Never Let Me Go, The Chosen Ones, The Crack Up, So Long and Harley and Rose are all great songs. Great singer, saxophonist, harmonica player and guitarist. Slim Dusty would be another to consider, he's written over 1,000 songs and recorded over 100 albums.

Sorry, but I can't agree with you about Nick Cave, he doesn't have a good singing voice, his lyrics are dark and he never seems to have a happy or optimistic view of the world. Really depressing listening.

Pay no regard to Spotify, it's manipulated. Go to YouTube and have a listen to any of Rick Beato's top 10 Spotify reviews.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back