Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodes attempted dog act on Josh Gibson a couple of years ago is enough to boo him from now till the end of time thanks
We all know that Hawks fans never get over anything. You'll all be sitting in your rocking chairs moaning about Goodes and Stevie J and whoever else.

And what is 'an attempted dog act'? Did he try and hump his leg? :p

You mean like trying to insinuate the wiki editor and a few facebook flogs are racist? Like we didn't already know that?

Yeah, we really a social justice warrior's input on that. Where would we be without it?
If it didn't bother you, ignore it. If it's a waste of your time, why respond?

Never thought of myself as a social justice warrior. You are also in no position to speak for other people.

We all know that Hawks fans never get over anything. You'll all be sitting in your rocking chairs moaning about Goodes and Stevie J and whoever else.

And what is 'an attempted dog act'? Did he try and hump his leg? :p
Try this:

Putting Goodes a side for a moment, have we ever had a footballer call another player anything overly bad (publicly at least)
It's not a regular thing to do. Andrew McLeod and Tyson Edwards weren't on speaking terms by the end of their careers. But by and large people keep their opinions pretty internal. The football community is still pretty small in numbers so if you go about s**t canning many others within it, you'll find yourself ostracised pretty quickly - it also becomes a financially costly decision to go down that route. Most people think it better to just not rock the boat.

wut? The Boomerang Boys made up a war cry based off traditional dances. Watch traditional IA dances. It's exactly like the start of Goodes dance. EXACTLY!.
Considering the gap in life expectancy I'm sure there are a few elders who are quite ok with with Goodes' dance.
wut? The Boomerang Boys made up a war cry based off traditional dances. Watch traditional IA dances. It's exactly like the start of Goodes dance. EXACTLY!.
Considering the gap in life expectancy I'm sure there are a few elders who are quite ok with with Goodes' dance.
So your admitting the war cry was made up 2 years ago and hasn't been performed by IA for 60,000 years.

I don't profess to be an expert on Aboriginal/IA culture and from what little i know they were never an overly aggressive and war like culture.
All their traditional weaponry is about performing the best methods of hunter gatherers for their environment and not for killing other humans.
Thus i question the appropriateness of something that was made up by a group of 16 year old boys because they are a bit jealous when they saw someone else, who it was traditional for, perform their war cry before a game and thought how cool it would be to do or own.

We go to great lengths on ANZAC day to make sure we don't represent the game as being like war.
Yet Goodes performing a war cry, and made running in the direction of opposition fans, that is clearly not a tradition is all ok as somehow this made up dance is now representative of IA culture .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don't you take your own advice? Why bother making a point that only serves to waste time?
What advice?

I don't see the discussion as a time waster, hence my involvement.

You made an assumption, were wrong and if you had taken the time to think before button smashing out an angry reply, you would have realised this and not wasted the effort.

The bottom line is Adam Goodes is passionate about his culture and his people and he is to be fully admired for that. If you took a poll asking people if his actions at the mcg last year teamed with his actions tonight were inclusive or divisive then i think a majority of the public would say the later. I think he has great intentions but he hasn't channeled his approach like say Michael Long has for example. Long's dialogue is always inclusive. The other issue is sometimes its hard to take a measured approach to something when your adrenaline is running high on a sporting arena. I welcome Adam Goodes voicing his opinions on racism and aboriginal issues off the ground for many many years but I think he may need to take a step back with his on field actions.

was thinking the same. banned for two matches and a substantial fine??

either way, goodesy had a brain fade and probably regrets his actions. it's a pity he couldn't have made a more inclusive action. hugging a ranga like rohan would've done more for unity.

So your admitting the war cry was made up 2 years ago and hasn't been performed by IA for 60,000 years.

I don't profess to be an expert on Aboriginal/IA culture and from what little i know they were never an overly aggressive and war like culture.
All their traditional weaponry is about performing the best methods of hunter gatherers for their environment and not for killing other humans.
Thus i question the appropriateness of something that was made up by a group of 16 year old boys because they are a bit jealous when they saw someone else, who it was traditional for, perform their war cry before a game and thought how cool it would be to do or own.

We go to great lengths on ANZAC day to make sure we don't represent the game as being like war.
Yet Goodes performing a war cry, and made running in the direction of opposition fans, that is clearly not a tradition is all ok as somehow this made up dance is now representative of IA culture .
nah man. There were skirmishes between IA nations since forever. There were also dances that represented absolutely EVERYTHING! So a dance that is 2 years old made up by the Boomerang Boys is clearly representative of a long line of IA culture. For such a young country I'm personally proud of such a ancient history.

Some tribal groups were peaceful, others were more aggressive and war like, I remember reading that the tribe which lived around Western Port didn't like one of the Gippsland tribes as they were aggressive toward them. The tribal groups were very diverse, some were pretty basic in terms of living as hunter and gathers whilst other tribes had regular camp sites and conducted trade with other groups.

This is why earlier I questioned if Goodes actions would have been liked across the Aboriginal community.

Personally I found the dance quite terrifying. Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of the indigenous round and Aborigines in general. I adore the native styled guernsey, and the pretty dot things. I even collect Aboriginal art from charming artists in remote localities (which I donate to the National Gallery for tax purposes). I like "Adam", though I don't know him personally and think he was a servicible Australian of the year (but not as deserving as Rosie Battie). But when he reacted to someone likening him to an animal I started to doubt whether he was, as his name might suggest, good at all. How would a 13 year old girl even know that it is wrong to be racist? I didn't know until an incident at a party when I was 35. And now the dance. Well, it was just...so...Aboriginal. I mean did he have to do something so cultural? It scared me because I thought I was just watching Australian football, you know, listening to Bruce and Wayne, having a cup of tea, feeling quite safe, and then, all of a sudden there was a real Aboriginal person expressing cultural pride right there in front of me. I thought they were just down and out but good at art and football? It frightens me to think they might actually be proud of their heritage. What does this mean for me?
Post of the day mate. Bloody Brilliant.

What advice?

I don't see the discussion as a time waster, hence my involvement.

You made an assumption, were wrong and if you had taken the time to think before button smashing out an angry reply, you would have realised this and not wasted the effort.
You just gave advice in your previous post, bubs.

You don't think it's a waste of time to discuss a few flogs on facebook, who everyone here unanimously agrees are flogs? What are you even trying to discuss?

You made an assumption, were wrong
before button smashing out an angry reply
Nice oxymoron.

Pretty sure we just witnessed a well thought out political statement rather than a reaction to to some opposition fans booing him there. Its no coincidence that this is Indigenous round. I think Adam wants to be remembered with the likes of Nicky Winmar for an iconic aboriginal statement more than anything else.

Going to have try a lot harder to top Winmar for iconic moments. One of the great moments in Australian sporting history.

Apols if the point has already been made a dozen times over.

Pretending to wave a spear at opposition spectators is ok?

You're acting like he did actually spear them. It was a goal celebration, you're deliberately drawing negative connotations from it just to add to what has now become borderline hysteria. This could, and should, have received no more than a comment in passing from all concerned and moved on from. 26 ******* pages and all of it is faux outrage.

You honestly spoke about it like it was some unspeakable sin.

Clearly Goodes was booed last week by Hawthorn supporters. How the media are trying to infer that Carlton supporters were booing him tonight is beyond me.
Well SOMEBODY was booing Goodesy last night :rolleyes:

It was just as loud as last week.

His provactive celebration clearly aimed at the only Carlton section in the ground is something that has the potential to incite the crowd and it offends me as a Carlton supporter that these people have flown to Sydney in such a rubbish season and have to put up with that from him and the media press conference were trying to blame it on our supporters.
The AFL has taken a dim view in the past to players provoking the crowd with gestures and raised middle fingers. Goodes has probably picked a great round to perform his spear-throwing war dance. It was culture. :D I'm not sure it would've been as well received if Jeff Farmer or Stephen Milne did it towards Joffa and the boys in the Collingwood cheer squad at the MCG.

Indigenous round is supposed to celebrate inclusion and to me Goodes' act is divisive.
Goodes certainly polarises people. Some people applaud him for his divisive acts. Others boo him.

David King made a good point, believe it to not. He said that if Goodes doesn't want people to boo him, then he shouldn't do stuff like this. Kingy liked Goodesy's aggro dance, "this is my turf", etc, but he said Goodes can't have it both ways. People are going to boo him.

Fair enough, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back