Autopsy Rd 14 Carlton vs Bulldogs Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

To continue your analogy regarding cars:

Boak is supposed to be a sports car (ready to go) whereas players like Cripps and Graham are supposed to be the cars that we build from scratch to provide the most revs.

Cripps and Graham are coming along nicely, and our investment in them is starting to pay off like we anticipated.

Boek on the other hand having supposedly purchased him as a ready made sports car, well we shouldn't have to redo his engine just to get him on the same track as our other up and coming young players.

He should be the already equipped sports car that we bought without needing to upgrade him, at least thats what we were told when we recruited a 'ready to go' player.
Totally agree, but my point has been that we shouldn't be getting angry with the sports car for being s**t and needing a rebuild - we should be angry with ourselves for making a bad choice. When we finish rebuilding the sports car, it will still be a sports car and really good. We just have to wait, unfortunately.

Totally agree, but my point has been that we shouldn't be getting angry with the sports car for being s**t and needing a rebuild - we should be angry with ourselves for making a bad choice. When we finish rebuilding the sports car, it will still be a sports car and really good. We just have to wait, unfortunately.

I can agree with that.

My only concern is that because he isn't AFL ready as he was billed to be, that shows that we have already miscalculated in regards to him when signing him up.
And if we have already miscalculated things with him, then that doesn't instil confidence in me that he can meet our new calculations of rebuilding him and getting him to be a really good AFL footballer in future.

But like I always say, I hope I am proved completely wrong because I would love nothing more than to scream out another young gun players name the way I already do with Cripps and Buckley and Graham.

First game I've been to in a while and I enjoyed it actually.

Cripps has so much presence its ridiculous. Shoots out handballs the crowd can't even see, wins one on ones in the air, on the ground, can always hear him yelling and instructing everyone. I consider myself to be pretty conservative and keep a lid on things when it comes to kids, but we deat set have something special on our hands here. I'm talking Fyfe-like.

NOT HAPPY JAN. Read today that we traded our Pick 46 to Western Bulldogs for Jones and Tutt. They picked up Caleb Daniel with our pick. How the hell did this happen. Every recruiter believed he was too small and light, even though he was one of the best players in the 2014 TAC championships carnival. He was the one that got under our guard and virtually won it for the Bullies, while Jones played in the VFL and didn't kick a goal. NOT HAPPY JAN.:mad:.

NOT HAPPY JAN. Read today that we traded our Pick 46 to Western Bulldogs for Jones and Tutt. They picked up Caleb Daniel with our pick. How the hell did this happen. Every recruiter believed he was too small and light, even though he was one of the best players in the 2014 TAC championships carnival. He was the one that got under our guard and virtually won it for the Bullies, while Jones played in the VFL and didn't kick a goal. NOT HAPPY JAN.:mad:.
He has played 1 quarter of football. Yes, it was a good quarter, but can we hold off on directing more s**t at the recruiting team until he actually makes a name for himself? 16 other clubs didn't think he was worth the risk either...and I guarantee that if we had picked him up, the majority of posters on here would be screaming about his height and what a dumb move that was.

Caleb Daniel is not the answer to our problems

I saw Caleb play last year and at not one person doubted he had the ability to play. But as you said his height put a lot of clubs off him. He was always going to be a speculative pick and maybe the Bulldogs thought it was a risk worth taking.

On the flip side of that, every club overlooked Nick Graham and now he is playing good footy as well.

Very easy to pass comment on recruiting 8 months after it has taken place.

What's done is done. BB showed a few sighs. It would have been a good leaning curve for him.
The doggies have been pretty manic this year so it was a hard game for him to show his stuff.
Considering how many young players we went in with it wasn't to Bad a result.
Rowe would have been a great match up for Redpath would also have meant Tutt wouldn't have played ;)
Gibbs Doc Menzel and Cripps for a full game and we probably win.

Really don't won't to see either Tutt or Ellard for the rest of the year..
Great to see the really 2E back.
Wouldn't have minded Watto in for Rowe at least the man can kick straight and Henderson could have gone back.

Hey guys just wondering if anyone else thought it was strange before the game the interaction of Murphy and Barker. Murphy had the microphone on him for the night and as he was walking to the center circle to toss the coin Barker obviously commented on his pink boots to which Murphy replied sarcastically "Yeah Rightio". Maybe I am reading too much into things but just thought it was a little strange.
Reaction wasn't blunt at all. Jokingly said there a bit lairy, which they are..

Nothing to see here..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do we do with Whiley? Full game next wk or dropped?

Sounds like barks reckons gibbs, menzel and carrots will all be test and cripps will get up.

I could see why they will go all out to win this one.

Rowe will probably come back in too.

Wood firms as an omission. Need to find three other spots.

I actually don't mind if he plays against Richmond. IMO its in our long term interests to give a few of the younger players a bit of go and see where they are at. The way I see it is that at some point a definitive decision has to be made about a player as to whether or not they are good enough to play league football. If we give some of the younger guys a go, it will help us make more informed decisions about the future of our playing list. Graham is a good example, thought he's stepped up nicely the past month or so. He was definitely an unknown quantity really leading up to this run of games hes had. Its great to see him step up, hopefully others can do it too like Mark Whiley.

Great to hear Barker has a no tolerance policy on honourable losses.

We all know Cripps is a great in and under player and all that, but I really noticed...how well he can edge out his opponent in one on ones...borders on a free kick but he seems to know the exact force to move them out of it...cant teach that.

Great to see the confidence coming out of Armfield, just dont want it going onto the arrogant side of the spectrum...had a few he could've give off or done the team thing....but great to see a player stick it out at the club instead of shopping themselves to another when they weren't getting the games.

We're hoping he is one of the steals of the draft. But yes, it is early days. Still great to hear his name being thrown around!

Boekhurst needs to firstly harden up..the amount of times I saw him back out of contests and not putting his body on the line was atrocious. His tackling was weak as piss as well. These are non negotiables. He should be sent back to the two's until he learns this. Disposal I can accept that maybe it was nerves, pace of the game, lack of experience, etc.

Boekhurst needs to firstly harden up..the amount of times I saw him back out of contests and not putting his body on the line was atrocious. His tackling was weak as piss as well. These are non negotiables. He should be sent back to the two's until he learns this. Disposal I can accept that maybe it was nerves, pace of the game, lack of experience, etc.

Boekhorst can tackle. He's not a Holman but he can tackle.

If he didn't on Saturday night, there must have been a reason for it..................maybe not a good reason, but a reason just the same.

I saw Caleb play last year and at not one person doubted he had the ability to play. But as you said his height put a lot of clubs off him. He was always going to be a speculative pick and maybe the Bulldogs thought it was a risk worth taking.

On the flip side of that, every club overlooked Nick Graham and now he is playing good footy as well.

Very easy to pass comment on recruiting 8 months after it has taken place.

Go look at our post draft thread - everyone wailing about how short we drafted, wanting Oscar McDonald or Spudly McForward instead of 5 short people.

Re Caleb Daniel, wasn't there a similar gushing of hyperbole over one Jason Tutt when he scored goals with his first three kicks in the AFL or suchlike?

Yes, that is the same Jason Tutt who has copped a pretty relentless pasting in this very thread.

One good quarter of footy is not a career. Perspective please.

Like most of "older" crowd on here, I have been supporting the club for 45-46 years... played it at primary school and high school levels, been trained by VFL players... so obviously I dont know anything about the game going by that premise. God knows how little some of the others knows about the game!

Pfffft, Dram...... I played one season of footy for my school team back in year 9. I was selected less than Graham, had skills that would make Curnow blush, goalkicking that would make Sav seek counselling and imposed myself on games less than Jones.

No VFL exposure, I think I only made the team when our regular coach was unavailable and our bus driver took over.

This was supposed to belittle my expertise, but now that I think about it I might just be the most qualified poster on BF to comment on some of the team's issues.....;):D

I think everyone needs to cut Boekhorst some slack. The kid has tricks and in traffic has some great footwork. It took him 6-8 games at VFL level to get acclimatised - it will take him that and more at AFL level.

Yes he needs to get stronger and fitter - that will come after a big pre-season.

Still have high hopes for him - his clean by foot and one grabs.
Just now need confidence and belief at AFL level.

Be patient as per Graham, Doc's and Bucks.

Patience? BF?

when.png

Boeky to me is a project player, but one that can be fast tracked. If he is not best 22 at the end of the season it will be a concern but right now it is still about development. He has come a long way in a short time remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back