Remove this Banner Ad

mountain roy

Debutant
Nov 6, 2005
leura
Other Teams
fitzroy
hi royboys and roygirls
Does anyone know the origin- time frame of when the Fitzroy monogram adorned our jumper?
we used to be truly maroon then the jumper changed over time and the 'FFC' arrived on the jumper which is great but judging from old photos it is almost invisible. The jumper I have, which is a replica of the fifties design has a blue monogram
I know Carlton had theirs long before us, did we nick the idea from the Blues?? if so does anybody know why?
always fitzroy
mountain roy

Carlton definitely used it first on their jumpers, but I have a theory that Fitzroy may have been first to actually use that type of monogram itself (first between Fitzroy and Carlton that is - obviously that type of monogram style came from somewhere).

I have an electronic scan at home of an early Fitzroy membership ticket (late 1800's) that has an early version of the FFC monogram - I will try and dig it out. It is from one of the Fitzroy books that were put out in the last 20 years.

Carlton definitely used it first on their jumpers, but I have a theory that Fitzroy may have been first to actually use that type of monogram itself (first between Fitzroy and Carlton that is - obviously that type of monogram style came from somewhere).

I have an electronic scan at home of an early Fitzroy membership ticket (late 1800's) that has an early version of the FFC monogram - I will try and dig it out. It is from one of the Fitzroy books that were put out in the last 20 years.

Chris Donald's book, has no sign of a monogram until the early 40's and it evolves quite quickly thereafter.

I found the pic of the earliest FFC monogram I have seen - it is from an 1890 Fitzroy membership ticket. I am still not sure which Fitzroy book the picture is from though.

earliest FFC monogram.jpg

www.footyjumpers.com has Carlton wearing their first monogram jumper in 1909 and Fitzroy in 1941. However, it is unclear when Carlton first started using their monogram on other things like membership tickets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back