AFL Autopsy 87 pt loss to the Bulldogs, Round 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had 6 years to step up, and he's done SFA.

2011crichton_089.jpg

I'm not reading a huge amount into this week other than Hird is an absolute clod both in terms of who he picks and the message he's seemingly driving.

A seriously good contested ball side like the dogs always troubles us even at full strength, take out an entire first choice centre square brigade and the game is pretty much over before it even begins. Other than that, eh.

Gwilt and Giles are both good additions considering the sum cost was almost literally nothing

I understand this year was a bust fitness wise because of the preseason but can we get fit next year please.

Propper AFL type fit - full season running out games fit, even fitter than other sides type fitness.

I cant remeber the last time we were feared for our running power.

We need to be more like Geelong. The Geelong of the golden 2007-2011 run.
Had an amazing fitness guru & a clever sports scientist. We should look them up.

if you couldn't see this happening from the team release on friday; you're a fool.

i'm actually pretty glad our game was so bad. melksham is clearly not an afl footballer and as much as i dislike howlett, i'd prefer he played to melksham (at this stage anyway). jake has had 6 seasons to become the required level of fitness for afl, and is still not there. he doesn't make it to nearly enough contests or make the option in space that football requires now. playing (and trading for) cooney is an absolute ******* joke and makes me feel worse about hird than almost anything else. we have kavanagh trotting around in the 2s and have no idea how good he is or could be at afl because we give games to plodders like coon.

edwards gets dropped after our forward line looks the liveliest it has in years with him in it, because we have to leave room for ambrose's bullshit half-role in the team, providing pressure because guys like zaharakis are not afl fit. we park j merrett on the bench as sub when he makes it to more contests than at least 17 of his team mates (that's being cautious).

this team has a lot to work with but the consistent overrating of 'senior players' is burdening the 22 with guys who aren't fit enough, strong enough or skillfull enough for football in 2015. it can be turned around - just look at the powerful bursts of running by the flankers/midfielders of the dogs for a 'how to football - 2015 edition guide', but there needs to be a concession that ambrose/cooney/melksham/steinberg/o'brien are not what is required of a modern midfield/flanker brigade.

anyway, surely this game cooks the career of a few of those guys and forces hirdy to give kavanagh, j merrett, browne, etc. consistent midfield minutes along with anyone else left on the list who's talent is 'up for debate'. or is that what i was thinking after the st kilda game and this whole thing is just deja vu?

I'm not reading a huge amount into this week other than Hird is an absolute clod both in terms of who he picks and the message he's seemingly driving.

A seriously good contested ball side like the dogs always troubles us even at full strength, take out an entire first choice centre square brigade and the game is pretty much over before it even begins. Other than that, eh.

Gwilt and Giles are both good additions considering the sum cost was almost literally nothing
I am warming on Gwilt. seems to be in the right place, knows when to boot it long, and he is starting to read the team and fit into the play.
Giles was pretty good today for his first AFL run in years?

We switched off about 10m into the 2nd today, and thus, another smashing.

One team playing for a position in the 8 versus one that can't wait for the season and CAS to be over.

Like ant555, I'm going forget the results for the rest of the season and just focus on the individuals. There were some positives today with Laverde, Zerret, Jerret and even Gwilt. Carlisle decent first up after a break. Melksham and Ambrose are the two for me, just struggling massively compared to the rest, and that's saying something when the team is so, so far down.

Like it or not, for over 2.5 years we've been waiting for the team to crack under the ASAGA and it's finally happened. To their credit, and considering the scrutiny and pressure they've been under, 2013-14 were pretty decent seasons.

WADA's appeal has literally sucked the remaining life out of so many of them and in turn us as supporters.

Bring on 2016.

if you couldn't see this happening from the team release on friday; you're a fool.

i'm actually pretty glad our game was so bad. melksham is clearly not an afl footballer and as much as i dislike howlett, i'd prefer he played to melksham (at this stage anyway). jake has had 6 seasons to become the required level of fitness for afl, and is still not there. he doesn't make it to nearly enough contests or make the option in space that football requires now. playing (and trading for) cooney is an absolute ******* joke and makes me feel worse about hird than almost anything else. we have kavanagh trotting around in the 2s and have no idea how good he is or could be at afl because we give games to plodders like coon.

edwards gets dropped after our forward line looks the liveliest it has in years with him in it, because we have to leave room for ambrose's bullshit half-role in the team, providing pressure because guys like zaharakis are not afl fit. we park j merrett on the bench as sub when he makes it to more contests than at least 17 of his team mates (that's being cautious).

this team has a lot to work with but the consistent overrating of 'senior players' is burdening the 22 with guys who aren't fit enough, strong enough or skillfull enough for football in 2015. it can be turned around - just look at the powerful bursts of running by the flankers/midfielders of the dogs for a 'how to football - 2015 edition guide', but there needs to be a concession that ambrose/cooney/melksham/steinberg/o'brien are not what is required of a modern midfield/flanker brigade.

anyway, surely this game cooks the career of a few of those guys and forces hirdy to give kavanagh, j merrett, browne, etc. consistent midfield minutes along with anyone else left on the list who's talent is 'up for debate'. or is that what i was thinking after the st kilda game and this whole thing is just deja vu?

Agree with much of this.

It's been interesting going to our games of late. I dont go for a win, but i am watching effort, hunger, natural ability.
Some hits:
The Merretts. Zach is a star, Jackson looks like a better, faster version of Stants (a player we seriously under-rate). Gets to contests, kicks very well over distance and gets us forward. Seems to really want the team to win and do well.

Laverde and Langford. They work so well together. Two of the smarter footballers in our youth.

Stanton. Still bleeds for this club. That kickout he scrubbed today. It was good to see the disappointment on his face. It needs to be shown to a few out there. His pace wont keep up with the youth in the opposition and given his knack for a goal or two a game from mid/defence, i wouldnt mind parking him up forward for the latter years. He can at least run a defender ragged around the ground. I know this won't be a popular opinion.

Some issues:
Intensity = 0%, Effort about 25%. This is embodied in a few players
Zaka - first and foremost, should be an elite mid by now. Speed, strength, breaks the lines, link up in our runs through the middle. At his best, electric. Current form, getting games undeserved.
Goddard - racks em up. But rarely do you see anything more than 2-3 decent disposals. Should be one of the more dangerous in our side. Isn't
Cooney - burst pace is still there. Awareness in traffic. But like Goddard, output isnt damaging.

These 3 should be tearing up oppositions and leading our kids. With Heppell and add back Myers and Watson, the 5 should be our Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Smith and Hill.

The misses:
Steinberg - Too small to defend. Beaten one on one, beaten on the lead. Does not lock down hard when the ball is loose. Disposal is suspect in a bad spot on the ground.
Melksham - Just dont know what he brings that isnt seen in Kavanagh. Esp with Hocking still having some good years left in him.
Ambrose - a good wrecking ball no doubt, but the instinct is a touch behind the speed of the game. At least Howlett puts actual pressure on.

changes for coming week:
Ambrose, Melks, Steinberg out.
Edwards, McKernan, Kavanagh

McKernan forward, Hooker/Carlisle/Gwilt back.

Nothing like a big ******* slap in the face to remind us of how s**t we've become.

I'm struggling to find reasons to buy a membership.
Because supporting club is more than cashing in on the good times. Because supporting a club means putting in even when times get tough. Because this club has given you success an premierships and is a great club, because when it needs it most, it can rely on the unwavering support of the people who love it, because it's bigger than just who is in charge now. And because it's that support that guarantees future succes.

That's ******* why

Haven't been to a game since the Cats debacle & won't be returning/paying memberships until Hirds gone.

WADA aside, these blokes are still getting payed & effort/discipline are absolute non negotiables that this side pays scant regard to, because Hird can't coach it.

His supposed directives to play attacking, exciting football was short lived & we now are back to the sideways, backwards tripe that's been the cornerstone of our game for nearly 2 years now.

He continues to play the same blokes who don't deserve games. Melksham, Cooney, Zaka...all just float through games. Wtf is there to achieve playing Cooney ahead of a Kavanagh??

I just scratch my head at where this club's heading. I've never been close to the despondency I'm currently at as Essendon supporter.

Something has to give!!
Given the ball use was so bad Hooker and most of the forwards struggled to get a good shot on goal. Usually by the time the ball was kicked into Hooker it was usually a 2/3 on 1. Most forwards would struggle with that but he still took some marks and made a contest. Also most key defenders will struggle when the ball is delivered lace out to the forwards due to terrible midfield pressure like we did today. Carlisle will improve, it was his first game back in 4 weeks. Give it a couple more weeks, we will be right. Add Hurley in defense will help as well.

Hooker was disappointing today in that he dropped 5 or 6 marks in which he he had clear hands to the ball. Our forward line work was atrocious - Better decision making, kicking for goal, non-fumbling and hanging onto marks and we could have kicked 15 goals - We butchered so many opportunities inside the forward 50.

Team played than 5 goals shows.

I am warming on Gwilt. seems to be in the right place, knows when to boot it long, and he is starting to read the team and fit into the play.
Giles was pretty good today for his first AFL run in years?

We switched off about 10m into the 2nd today, and thus, another smashing.

Gwilt concedes too many goals - 4 today and 4 last week and 5 against StKilda - Baguley conceded 4 goals today and 3 goals today - Hibberd's season is much maligned but he's conceded less goals than Baguley.

Because supporting club is more than cashing in on the good times. Because supporting a club means putting in even when times get tough. Because this club has given you success an premierships and is a great club, because when it needs it most, it can rely on the unwavering support of the people who love it, because it's bigger than just who is in charge now. And because it's that support that guarantees future succes.

That's ******* why

Well said Lance. I for one will always buy a membership and support. There will be good times ahead, plenty of them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gwilt concedes too many goals - 4 today and 4 last week and 5 against StKilda - Baguley conceded 4 goals today and 3 goals today - Hibberd's season is much maligned but he's conceded less goals than Baguley.

To be fair to Gwilt, when you have the opposition streaming forward unopposed and have the likes of Stanton, Goddard, Zaharakis pressuring then there's no hope for the defensive unit.

79.7 points per game against pre Carlisle injury and Hooker in the backline
114.2 points per game against post Carlisle injury and Hooker up forward

Get. Him. Back.
Lol nothing to do with the rest of the team... Hooker isn't responsible for saving 35 points a game.

Get thumped by St Kilda: 'Play the kids!!', we scream.

So we play the kids.

Get thumped by the Dogs: 'Sack the coach!!', we spew.

Kind of a fickle little group aren't we?

Lol nothing to do with the rest of the team... Hooker isn't responsible for saving 35 points a game.

First it was not playing Kav, then it was not playing Smack, then it was not playing Giles, Edwards, etc, etc.....

The desperate are hanging onto VFL types or some crazy structure but when it all goes wrong they move on to the next thing.

Our supporter base just has to accept that our midfield is the worst in the league and our better players in Stanton and Goddard are poo compared to the rest of the comp.

I almost threw s**t at my TV yesterday watching us go 3rd man up in the ruck contests around the ground. It's been happening more often this weekend and it need to stop, we're terrible at it.

It'd be ok except we're continually hitting it out into space on the defensive side where there are almost always their players between the ball and our guys. This means they are getting the ball and running towards goal with space in front of them. I understand tapping to the defensive side, but not into space where we're not.

If you're going to go 3rd man up, please for christ sake do it to advantage us and not them.

The other thing that shits me is we're not great in the contest anyway so we might as well leave that extra down to contest the ball, especially when it's someone like Heppell that's going up.

Get thumped by St Kilda: 'Play the kids!!', we scream.

So we play the kids.

Get thumped by the Dogs: 'Sack the coach!!', we spew.

Kind of a fickle little group aren't we?
Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'm not saying he personally is. But the structure, the organisation he gives down back. You can't deny that'd be having an impact.

Is it worth 5 goals? Probably not. But 5 games without him down there our scores against have exploded. Not a coincidence.

I'm not saying he personally is. But the structure, the organisation he gives down back. You can't deny that'd be having an impact.

Is it worth 5 goals? Probably not. But 5 games without him down there our scores against have exploded. Not a coincidence.
Not a coincidence at all. But the relationship between him forward and our scores conceded is almost non existent. We've played him forward because we have needed to and he's performed well up there. Having Hooker back just *s up our forward structure. We need at least one end of the ground with structure and generally having Hurley, Gwilt and Steinberg down back has been ok structurally. I'm happy to play Hooker forward to enhance his forward skills.

Playing the kids is fine in theory, but it means they go out there leaderless and prone to capitulations like we saw yesterday.

Guys like Cooney need to be thrown in the middle more often, the guy actually wins clearances.

Without Watson we really lack leadership on the field, throw into that a distinct lack of faith in Hird around the place (most of the players probably thinking he won't be there next year) and we're in a place where thumpings are more likely than small margin losses. The heads drop, the confidence goes and we get sideways and backwards safe football.

The board/president etc should announce a review of the football department, starting now and finishing the week after the Grand Final. They should announce that Hird will coach out the season, but the review is putting everyone on the table, from players (including leadership group specifically) to asst to the football manager. Give guys a chance to show some real leadership until the end of the season and see who stands up.

If we're going to rebuild, we can't do it with just kids, we need real leaders, I'm not sure if Goddard is one of those who brings along people with him, or yells at them because they won't follow him. Is he getting that from Hird?

Not a coincidence at all. But the relationship between him forward and our scores conceded is almost non existent. We've played him forward because we have needed to and he's performed well up there. Having Hooker back just ****s up our forward structure. We need at least one end of the ground with structure and generally having Hurley, Gwilt and Steinberg down back has been ok structurally. I'm happy to play Hooker forward to enhance his forward skills.
Steinberg's been a complete dud though. Had bags kicked on him almost every week. Maybe we could've tried something different with our forward structure. Because what we have been doing has been a complete failure.

Playing the kids is fine in theory, but it means they go out there leaderless and prone to capitulations like we saw yesterday.

Guys like Cooney need to be thrown in the middle more often, the guy actually wins clearances.

Without Watson we really lack leadership on the field, throw into that a distinct lack of faith in Hird around the place (most of the players probably thinking he won't be there next year) and we're in a place where thumpings are more likely than small margin losses. The heads drop, the confidence goes and we get sideways and backwards safe football.

The board/president etc should announce a review of the football department, starting now and finishing the week after the Grand Final. They should announce that Hird will coach out the season, but the review is putting everyone on the table, from players (including leadership group specifically) to asst to the football manager. Give guys a chance to show some real leadership until the end of the season and see who stands up.

If we're going to rebuild, we can't do it with just kids, we need real leaders, I'm not sure if Goddard is one of those who brings along people with him, or yells at them because they won't follow him. Is he getting that from Hird?
Perhaps, but then he just butchers it. * he is frustrating to watch kick at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back