Gillon McLachlan - Good Deputy, Bad CEO!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2008
Bondi Beach
AFL Club
Sydney
When he was deputy to Andrew Demetriou, I felt he was great in his job, but since he has taken over from Vlad he seems to be performing terribly.

On issues as Adam Goodes, war dance, Essendon, etc he has kind of hid away from the media, hence does not have to give an opinion or thoughts about it, hoping it would just go away. When he faces the media he give vague or non committal responses.

When he was deputy to Andrew Demetriou, I felt he was great in his job, but since he has taken over from Vlad he seems to be performing terribly.

On issues as Adam Goodes, war dance, Essendon, etc he has kind of hid away from the media, hence does not have to give an opinion or thoughts about it, hoping it would just go away. When he faces the media he give vague or non committal responses.

Tend to agree. I sense he is a populist and wants to be everyone's friend. It is still early days, so I will give him the benefit. I was not impressed, though when he declared the war dance as acceptable behaviour but a player giving the finger to the crowd is unacceptable.

because he doesn't want to put himself in a difficult position. imagine he comes out and says 'the booing of one our champions will not be tolerated! 1 strike policy applies!' or something hard like that. then geelong game comes around and people starting booing goodes? what then? start evicting people, handing out mass fines. will cause a huge uproar. the fact is he cannot control the crowds and it would be wise for him not to act like he can.

these delicate issues are always best handled with a light touch. as goodes has found out thick lines in the sand don't work out well for anyone..

WHY was he good at the deputy role?

We all know the real reason you don't like him is because he scrapped your COLA :D:thumbsu:

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all his faults Vlad at least was a leader.

He couldn't give 2 hoots if people liked him or not, but he showed leadership and backed himself to make decisions.

This preppie private school boy they have given the job to reminds me of a politician,

He is completely out of his depth as someone said earlier, couldn't agree more

The game was in far better shape 5 years ago, the AFL were at the top of the tree and they were streets ahead of all other football codes in Australia. Then whammo....the Essendon drugs saga hits them like a bolt of lightning, the game as a spectacle deteriorates to almost unwatchable levels, the Friday night fixture becomes a disaster and their showcase night is a shambles, now in the past week it has been rocked again by racism accusations leveled at it's fans over the Adam Goodes issue. The fans stayed away in droves last weekend and i reckon they've had enough, Gillon McLachlan has his hands full and may find it difficult to get the TV networks to buy into the AFL product as easily as they had once done before. He's definitely floundering, the game needs a complete workover and we will see some radical changes in order to make the game more attractive to watch. It also needs to be focusing more on footy than certain individuals as other agendas appear to be taking precedence. He may have to become the bad boy and hit us with some unpopular decision making in order to get the game moving again and maintain it's rightful position as Australia's premier sporting code. His next 12 months in the job will either make him or break him....

Last edited:
Funny....Thought I started this thread 3 days ago?....But the mods saw fit to delete it!o_O

Wonder if this one will be allowed to stand?.....HMMMM, I wait in anticipation....Double standards much!!!:drunk::drunk::drunk:

P.S....Gillon has the spine of a wet lettuce.

Last edited:
You could take the best 20 minds in the history of the world and task them to deliberately ruin the game and dead set combined they couldn't do it better than Vlad. And so far the best thing I can say about the Scotsman is he's not Vlad.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back