Mega Thread Adam Goodes starring in Lord of the Flies - The only place to post Goodes stuff - Read the OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitchell gets booed, due to the kneeing. It's understandable.

Lets see if he's still being booed in a months time, or next year.

But yes, booing doesn't have to be race related, but clearly, in regards to Goodes, for some people it most definitely is.
I agree that this is the reason Mitch gets booed Echols , but can we categorically say that every single person that is booing him is booing for the reason of the knees, or are there some disguising their racist side here too?

I've not commented on this subject before, but this is the thing that I really can't fathom. Because Goodes is indigenous we suspect there are racial overtones, but because Mitch is not indigenous then we assume there aren't the same racial overtones.

Yes, I know Goodes is outspoken etc, so it is more likely, but we can't completly rule out racial tones towards Mitch, can we? I just find it weird that the media jump all over this issue as being racist, yet Mitchell, or say Jarrad Waite from the weekend can be booed and all is good because of course we know why everyone is booing them, right?

Totally understand how crap it is to have a Tiger flog inciting in the supposed sanctuary of the members area. Shits me how our tickets are sold on. Not sure why members take it up as the reimbursement is absolutely paltry.
I am however not a big fan of jumping up n down getting officials involved in pretty minor s**t tbh. It's an American trademark where we now eagerly let officialdom tramp through our dirty laundry on a whim. Sure if it gets out of hand, gracefully seek uniformed assistance, not wildly flaying arms around squawking away like a twit though. Just head butt the damn lol.
Thought about that, but it makes me as bad as him

I heard back from the club who said whilst they are sorry I was in that situation, a formal complaint needs to be made by the mcc before they can take it any further

I'm now seeking the assistance of the AFLFA to get it into the media

I've spent a long time fighting for true equality, and having a serious racist matter be passed aside isn't on

I do not want my kids putting up with that

I agree that this is the reason Mitch gets booed Echols , but can we categorically say that every single person that is booing him is booing for the reason of the knees, or are there some disguising their racist side here too?

I've not commented on this subject before, but this is the thing that I really can't fathom. Because Goodes is indigenous we suspect there are racial overtones, but because Mitch is not indigenous then we assume there aren't the same racial overtones.

Yes, I know Goodes is outspoken etc, so it is more likely, but we can't completly rule out racial tones towards Mitch, can we? I just find it weird that the media jump all over this issue as being racist, yet Mitchell, or say Jarrad Waite from the weekend can be booed and all is good because of course we know why everyone is booing them, right?
We can't completely rule out racial overtones to Mitch...but we almost can. EG: Bigfooty is a big place with lots of opinions (which is why I like it). There is plenty of dislike for Mitch on this site from opposition supporters. Show me ONE post which indicates people don't like Mitch according to his race.

We can't completely rule out racial overtones to Mitch...but we almost can. EG: Bigfooty is a big place with lots of opinions (which is why I like it). There is plenty of dislike for Mitch on this site from opposition supporters. Show me ONE post which indicates people don't like Mitch according to his race.
I totally get that Jedi, but my point is the media made the boos towards Goodes be about race automatically, yet anyone else that gets booed is given the. I don't personally know anyone that has booed AG because of his skin colour. When Buddy was at the Hawks I'd suggest the 90% of Hawks supporters if asked who their favourite player was they would answer either Buddy or Cyril. I just found it mind boggling that media went down that path with such vigour. Perhaps I give the media far too much credit?

Have already gone over this argument earlier in the thread.

Suggesting Mitchell could be booed for being white is quite ridiculous. It's a silly comparison to make.

You only need to read the wide ranging comments on social media and all over this site about Goodes, the girl and his AOTY award speech and it becomes clear there are racial undertones to SOME of the booing.

In short, some people think he should've just sucked it up and copped being called an "Ape". Some people seriously have an issue with him not condoning racial vilification.

Interesting that the AFL commission is just as conflicted about the booing as the diverse opinions on social media.

I would imagine that the members of the commission are, on balance, reasonable people. The fact that there is such a diversity of opinion suggests to me that the racism case is far from obvious.

I am happy that some good has come out of it; namely the support that the football community gave over the weekend to aboriginal causes. But I am sad that it was hijacked by people pushing an agenda. The vast majority of people who booed (and I was not one of them) were incorrectly labelled as racist.
I agree it was wrong to say everyone who booed him was racist. Like I've posted elsewhere it is a case of pathetic soundbiteism in the media. Things aren't always simple matters with two sides. I've got more out of talking about it on BF than reading Andrew Bolt saying AG brought it all on himself for pointing at the girl or other media/AFL saying every booer is racist.

Both extreme simple arguments are flawed.

Eg Xtreme (the poster) has been really funny on the main board - he is clearly a dedicated booer of tall poppies/dirty players/umpire favourites and has never once mentioned race or AG's method of dealing with race issues in his reasoning for booing AG. To call Xrreme a racist would be ridiculous.

Unfortunately not all people on the main board were like Xtreme. There is a large throng of people who want to put an outspoken Indigenous bloke back into his box

I also agree that people are allowed to question his methods and have a discussion on reconciliation and the best way to achieve it

People are also "allowed to boo" rather than have this discussion - but I think it is an unproductive way to talk about it and potentially divisive and, most importantly, ruining Xtreme's right to keep booing!!

Personally I like rable rousers who try and shake up the status quo so nothing he has done has pissed me off greatly (re raising issues of race). But of course others can say they don't like it - including Indigenous people

I totally get that Jedi, but my point is the media made the boos towards Goodes be about race automatically, yet anyone else that gets booed is given the. I don't personally know anyone that has booed AG because of his skin colour. When Buddy was at the Hawks I'd suggest the 90% of Hawks supporters if asked who their favourite player was they would answer either Buddy or Cyril. I just found it mind boggling that media went down that path with such vigour. Perhaps I give the media far too much credit?
Mr response to Argy above is how I'd respond to this. Agree the media is dumb (both left and right)

grumbleguts you could present just as much if not more evidence of "dirty" play from our captain.....but he isn't routinely booed to the extent that Goodes is.

And this statement is a key to the whole thing for me.

If we were 100% honest, we would all agree that Hodge is about 10 times dirtier than Mitchell.

But Mitchell gets booed, and Hodge doesn't. This is a key point for mine.

For whatever reason, his s**t eating grin, just his general style, I have no idea to be honest, but for whatever reason Hodge is liked more than Mitchell. There is no logic to it. Hodge is dirtier. He has been rubbed out more. He has knocked out about half a dozen players to Mitchell's zero. Comparatively Mitchell is squeaky clean.

But Hodge is loved and Mitchell isn't.

This is part of the issue with Goodes IMO. The booing is unacceptable and it has gone too far and there is no doubt some racists are hiding behind it, but there is also the issue that people just do not connect with Goodes. That is not racial. Not everyone has Mohammad Ali's charisma. Some people pull off what they are trying to do effortlessly and some people don't. That has nothing to do with race.

If we were 100% honest, we would all agree that Hodge is about 10 times dirtier than Mitchell.

For whatever reason, his s**t eating grin, just his general style, I have no idea to be honest, but for whatever reason Hodge is liked more than Mitchell. There is no logic to it. Hodge is dirtier. He has been rubbed out more. He has knocked out about half a dozen players to Mitchell's zero. Comparatively Mitchell is squeaky clean.

This is part of the issue with Goodes IMO. The booing is unacceptable and it has gone too far and there is no doubt some racists are hiding behind it, but there is also the issue that people just do not connect with Goodes. That is not racial. Not everyone has Mohammad Ali's charisma. Some people pull off what they are trying to do effortlessly and some people don't. That has nothing to do with race.
People are also shiteatinggrinnist.

Suggesting Mitchell could be booed for being white is quite ridiculous. It's a silly comparison to make.

You only need to read the wide ranging comments on social media and all over this site about Goodes, the girl and his AOTY award speech and it becomes clear there are racial undertones to SOME of the booing.

In short, some people think he should've just sucked it up and copped being called an "Ape". Some people seriously have an issue with him not condoning racial vilification.
I have been called all sorts of things while playing sport and in life in general. As well as copping physical treatment from the high school bullies..including the "disposing" of my lunch.

Being 6'6", skinny as a rake and having larger than normal ears as a youngster made for some interesting name calling.

I didnt let it get to me. I eventually filled out....my body caught up to my ears and I am still 6'6".

The name calling was dissapointing...even saddening....but I just kept on motoring through life. It made me more determined and it also caused me to study people and become a good judge of character as well as see the other side of the story.

I am sure many on here could tell of similar life experiences.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have been called all sorts of things while playing sport and in life in general. As well as copping physical treatment from the high school bullies..including the "disposing" of my lunch.

Being 6'6", skinny as a rake and having larger than normal ears as a youngster made for some interesting name calling.

I didnt let it get to me. I eventually filled out....my body caught up to my ears and I am still 6'6".

The name calling was dissapointing...even saddening....but I just kept on motoring through life. It made me more determined and it also caused me to study people and become a good judge of character as well as see the other side of the story.

I am sure many on here could tell of similar life experiences.

Right, so I guess we're getting to the crux of it now.

You were picked on in school for your appearance, and you got on with it, so you've likened it to the Goodes situation and feel he should get on with it too.

Is this your thinking?

While this started about Goodes, surely this is now about Aussies looking in the mirror and asking themselves if they are racist in any way shape or form? And they don't like it, as a country we aren't that introspective and it makes people uncomfortable to ask themselves these questions or accusations of racism.
Especially for people who aren't overtly racist in anyway, as I don't think it's as blatant as say...parts of the USA.

The undertones here are too hard to ignore in my opinion and always simmer under the surface.

Interesting points you make and accentuated rather bluntly in this article.

http://pickeringpost.com/story/go-goodesy-/5184

Why did we adore Lionel Rose but hope Mundine gets sat on his arse? Why did we love Polly Farmer and Syd Jackson but dislike Adam Goodes? Because we are Australian! We are racially agnostic and we are colour blind. We can choose who we will like and we will always give everyone of every race and colour a fair go providing we are given a fair go in return.

Mundine runs his finger across his throat and Goodes simulates throwing spears at us in a specially invented war dance. And we are supposed to respect that sort of bullshit?

We are fair dinkum Australians, we’ll buy you a beer and pick you up when you’re down. We’ll shout you a feed and drive you home when you’re pissed, you will never have a better friend for life... but if you choose to crap on us then expect a full tank of sewage around your neck in return.

We know what’s fair.

I have worn the red and white of “The Bloods” for most of my playing career. Right down to St George and the lowly Woy Woy Swans where I retired at near 50 after my son had played in the centre for the same team for ten years planting balls on my chest at full forward.

I’m a Swan fan through and through and at one time, when they were millions in debt, I was negotiating to buy them, before Mike Willesee put together a consortium.

So when one of the most talented indigenous players ever (one of many) joined the club it was an exciting time. But that incident with a 13 year-old girl changed everything for ever. We saw the vindictive, nasty Goodes. The Goodes, regardless of his talent, Australians will not cop, and they showed it.

So who has chased Goodes out of the game? It was the very people who excused his provocative and insulting bullshit.

We made him Australian of the Year only to be told we were racists. The media’s support of him only emboldened him further, so he figured it was okay to rubbish his fellow Australians as “invaders”... that it was okay to demand that a schoolgirl be removed from the MCG for calling him a name.

Well, it’s not okay! It’s bloody un-Australian and we fair dinkum Australians wrote him off from that point on. He never apologised to that little girl so that little girl never had the opportunity to apologise to him.

But it can be resolved, he can play again to cheers instead of boos... we can again enjoy his talent, shake his hand and be proud of his Aboriginality. It will take those who love to bathe in the warm glow of their own political correctness, along with the dumb AFL and the Left media to shut the * up and allow the arbiters of the sport, the crowds, to sort it.

All it will take is for Goodes to do a Bronwyn and apologise for doing what he did. I know, you know, and every fair dinkum Aussie knows we are the best forgivers around. Then he can run on to the field to cheers and applause with nary a boo to be heard. That’s what Aussie crowds really want and Aussie crowds, as one, are the best at knowing what’s fair.

What Goodes did was wrong and insulting and he has a window of opportunity to resolve it for the sake of the game. We said sorry, now it’s his turn. We would all love to see him back as a player and not as an Aboriginal activist. He can save that for his political career rather than bring it on to our sporting fields.

But I fear Goodes would much rather wallow in his hatred of “invaders” than return to what we admired him for and what he is best at.

And that's a shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right, so I guess we're getting to the crux of it now.

You were picked on in school for your appearance, and you got on with it, so you've likened it to the Goodes situation and feel he should get on with it too.

Is this your thinking?

Firstly I have not likened it to the AG situation....you did. It was a statement about some of my own experiences.

My thinking was that I could have taken it further but I chose not to.

You can say or think what you like about Caro, but she does have the ear and is respected by more than a few people in the lofty seats down at AFL house.
Could that be why she has a bit to say and believes that it is very important also?

Firstly I have not likened it to the AG situation....you did. It was a statement about some of my own experiences.

Why raise it in this thread (which is about Adam Goodes) if you weren't making that comparison?

Why did we adore Lionel Rose but hope Mundine gets sat on his arse? Why did we love Polly Farmer and Syd Jackson but dislike Adam Goodes? Because we are Australian! We are racially agnostic and we are colour blind. We can choose who we will like and we will always give everyone of every race and colour a fair go providing we are given a fair go in return.

Mundine runs his finger across his throat and Goodes simulates throwing spears at us in a specially invented war dance. And we are supposed to respect that sort of bullshit?

We are fair dinkum Australians, we’ll buy you a beer and pick you up when you’re down. We’ll shout you a feed and drive you home when you’re pissed, you will never have a better friend for life... but if you choose to crap on us then expect a full tank of sewage around your neck in return.

We know what’s fair.

I have worn the red and white of “The Bloods” for most of my playing career. Right down to St George and the lowly Woy Woy Swans where I retired at near 50 after my son had played in the centre for the same team for ten years planting balls on my chest at full forward.

I’m a Swan fan through and through and at one time, when they were millions in debt, I was negotiating to buy them, before Mike Willesee put together a consortium.

So when one of the most talented indigenous players ever (one of many) joined the club it was an exciting time. But that incident with a 13 year-old girl changed everything for ever. We saw the vindictive, nasty Goodes. The Goodes, regardless of his talent, Australians will not cop, and they showed it.

So who has chased Goodes out of the game? It was the very people who excused his provocative and insulting bullshit.

We made him Australian of the Year only to be told we were racists. The media’s support of him only emboldened him further, so he figured it was okay to rubbish his fellow Australians as “invaders”... that it was okay to demand that a schoolgirl be removed from the MCG for calling him a name.

Well, it’s not okay! It’s bloody un-Australian and we fair dinkum Australians wrote him off from that point on. He never apologised to that little girl so that little girl never had the opportunity to apologise to him.

But it can be resolved, he can play again to cheers instead of boos... we can again enjoy his talent, shake his hand and be proud of his Aboriginality. It will take those who love to bathe in the warm glow of their own political correctness, along with the dumb AFL and the Left media to shut the **** up and allow the arbiters of the sport, the crowds, to sort it.

All it will take is for Goodes to do a Bronwyn and apologise for doing what he did. I know, you know, and every fair dinkum Aussie knows we are the best forgivers around. Then he can run on to the field to cheers and applause with nary a boo to be heard. That’s what Aussie crowds really want and Aussie crowds, as one, are the best at knowing what’s fair.

What Goodes did was wrong and insulting and he has a window of opportunity to resolve it for the sake of the game. We said sorry, now it’s his turn. We would all love to see him back as a player and not as an Aboriginal activist. He can save that for his political career rather than bring it on to our sporting fields.

But I fear Goodes would much rather wallow in his hatred of “invaders” than return to what we admired him for and what he is best at.

And that's a shame.
That this guy thinks Goodes was being "vindictive and nasty" and should apologize to the person who racially vilified him is utterly absurd.

I'm sorry, but I perceived your post to be an attempt to liken the Goodes situation to your experience of being teased about being tall.

I'm not sure why you raised it otherwise.

...An olive branch is what's required.

It would be nice for Goodes to extend that branch...

Has anyone said they don;t like Goodes due to race?

Once again in this modern world we live in, the minority rule.

We know what’s fair.

But it can be resolved, he can play again to cheers instead of boos... we can again enjoy his talent, shake his hand and be proud of his Aboriginality. It will take those who love to bathe in the warm glow of their own political correctness, along with the dumb AFL and the Left media to shut the **** up and allow the arbiters of the sport, the crowds, to sort it.

And that's a shame.

I certainly do not agree with most of that. I can resonate with some parts of it but most of it states as long as you side with us you are ok with me which is more problem than solution. I don't think the answer lies with "fair dinkum Australians". No doubt Dawn Fraser gets free entry into that club.

Once again in this modern world we live in, the minority rule.
Kind of, yes.

If booing is removed from our game due to this Goodes situation, then it's a bit of a win to be honest.

It would be nice for Goodes to extend that branch...

Has anyone said they don;t like Goodes due to race?
Due to his stance on race with added casual racism comments about Aboriginal issues. Don't think anyone has said I don't like him because HE is Aboriginal but a few people have used it as an opportunity to bag Indigenous people generally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back