Retired #31: Dustin Fletcher - Legend & VFL Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll say what I said last week- it's very weird knowing he won't pull on the jumper for us again.

Congratulations on an amazing career, Fletch, you're a legend of the club and the game.

I haven't felt this sad in a long time
One of the greatest players to ever play the game.
As valuable to a team in his prime as Chris Judd was.
In my insignificant opinion.

Always envisioned that I'd get a bit emotional after his final game. It's difficult coming to terms with the fact he'll never get one.

Just wish I was at his last game to say goodbye to him, even if at the time we didn't know.

Very sad and frustrated we never got to say goodbye with him playing in the red and black one last time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Fletch.

Makes it all the more sad that we ****ed up dreamtime at the G and didn't win it for him.

Going to be very weird to see a Fletcherless backline from now on.

Hopefully the next Fletch isn't too far away.

Its strange that we will lose 3 club legends of the club in the same year. Fletch, Reid and Hird.

Thanks for everything Fletch, part of me is annoyed that we didn't get to celebrate your retirement like we should have but the other part of me is smiling knowing its probably a low key finish that you would have wanted anyway.

Our sport also doesn't rest players in the lead up to finals
tumblr_mg1fitORNS1qzaxsco1_500.jpg

It had to happen one day, and to think many of us were questioning how long he had left when he'd "only" played 300 odd games. He only limped to the line due to his body, he certainly didn't limp to the line form wise.

Seeya Fletch, you'll be missed. Father time finally caught up :(

When I was 6 years old my dad asked me what number I wanted on my back. I still have a vague image in my head of fletcher jumping through a pack with one of his trademark spoils - me the youngster, not knowing any names says 'the man with red hair' - had number 8 on my back for years haha.

I've been a member since then, unfortunately this year I've been battling some health issues and haven't been well enough to attend any games. The one exception where I dragged myself out of bed was Fletcher's 400th. It's bittersweet knowing I got to cheer off the champ in his last game. Fletch you're a ******* legend mate, you've been my favourite player for 20 years - not many other sports people you can say that about. All the best for the future I ******* love you man

The game is the poorer for your absence Fletch. Through absolute aeons of time, it seems, you've done your thing without fuss or bother - and we've loved you for it. Onya Fletch!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back