The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished A Song of Ice and Fire. I slowed up a bit on the last book but I think it took me about 3 months to read all 5 books. They were fantastic and I can't wait for the next one.

Now started The Reader on the 6.27 by French author Jean-Paul Didierlaurent. It's a nice, easy read and I'm about half way through, looking forward to how it ends.

The Pearl

Just read, well, re-read as it turns out, Steinbeck's novella.

It wasn't until the shocking climax that I realized, holy s**t, I've already read this!

About twenty years ago but still just as powerful...

Finished Geomancer - have to say it has generally been a let down. Started the second on - Tetrarch - but that is just frustrating me even more. Actually starting to hope horrible things happen to the main characters which is a bad sign.

The Moontide Quartet by David Hair - a fantasy series that is very, very good.

A lot of science fiction/make believe/fantasy....Etc fans in here. I admire your imagination, I really do. I get no enjoyment from them.

I'm getting through 'Absalom, Absalom!' By Faulkner. I swear this guy couldn't write badly if he tried.

I'll Never Write My Memoirs by Grace Jones - ****ing brilliant!

Make Me (Jack Reacher novel) by Lee Child - he's pretty much writing action movie screenplays since the first film came out - predictable.

Holding The Man by Timothy Conigrave - beautiful, I cried near the finish:cry:

Gerald's Game by Stephen King - absolute shite, good thing it only cost me $3 at Vinnies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On his day - brilliant - but when he's bad...

Yeah, I'm starting to see that. I have read and loved Pet Sematary, It, The Stand, The Dark Half, Cujo and Christine - so this was the first one that I hated and I was surprised actually at how bad it is.

Next up is Needful Things - fingers crossed.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that. I have read and loved Pet Sematary, It, The Stand, The Dark Half, Cujo and Christine - so this was the first one that I hated and I was surprised actually at how bad it is.

Next up is Needful Things - fingers crossed.
Have you read any of Richard Bachman? I got an omnibus - The Bachman Books - at a second hand bookshop and loved it. He actually wrote The Running Man (nothing like the film) and there is another story in it called The Long Walk which is King at his best. His short stories are awesome.

Have you read any of Richard Bachman? I got an omnibus - The Bachman Books - at a second hand bookshop and loved it. He actually wrote The Running Man (nothing like the film) and there is another story in it called The Long Walk which is King at his best. His short stories are awesome.

No I haven't but I will get through them all, Mum found old hardcovers of Needful Things and Four Past Midnight so they are next and then I'll search out the Bachman stuff.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm a bit behind in the series, but I'm halfway through Lee Child's A Wanted Man.

I love the Jack Reacher novels. Fantastic.

Halfway through 'The Mountain Shadow' by Gregory David Roberts, his follow-up to 'Shantaram' set up a couple of years after the original.

Another epic, like 'Shantaram' and might not be everyone's cup of tea but I'm enjoying it.

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
Purity by Jonathan Franzen
Super-Canes by J.G. Ballard
Power Without Glory by Frank Hardy
Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee
Zen & The Art of Motorcyle Maintenance by Robert Prisig

All of them very good. Cloudstreet is the first Winton I've read and loved it. It was very Aussie without all the lame cliches and characters were well written. I fell in love with Rose. Franzen is putting together an excellent resume now (The Corrections was brilliant). Ballard is always interesting and I enjoyed Lee's sequel. The Hardy book was solid, but I felt the characters didn't have that much depth. Zen... was alright. I hated his son Chris with a passion.

Cloudstreet by Tim Winton
Purity by Jonathan Franzen
Super-Canes by J.G. Ballard
Power Without Glory by Frank Hardy
Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee
Zen & The Art of Motorcyle Maintenance by Robert Prisig

All of them very good. Cloudstreet is the first Winton I've read and loved it. It was very Aussie without all the lame cliches and characters were well written. I fell in love with Rose. Franzen is putting together an excellent resume now (The Corrections was brilliant). Ballard is always interesting and I enjoyed Lee's sequel. The Hardy book was solid, but I felt the characters didn't have that much depth. Zen... was alright. I hated his son Chris with a passion.
1. Took me a couple of goes but reckon its pretty good. I think I'll like it more next time I read it.

2. Haven't read this yet, I believe I've read all the other Franzen works. Does this follow the style of The Corrections and Freedom?

3. Great book. As you say Ballard is always interesting.

4. Can't say I noticed the lack of depth in the characters. But opposite to Cloudstreet, in the way I tried re reading it and didn't enjoy it as much.

5. Haven't read the first Lee, so not really interested in this one.

6. Heard of it but know nothing about it.

Interesting mix.

I only ever read one Ballard novel in 'Hello America'. It was so awful I've never bothered with one of his since. I probably should have gone with something else as an intro book.

Currently reading The Dark Half by King.

Finished Chimaera by Irvine, completing the Well of Echoes series. Just something about these books and Irvine's writing style I don't like, I certainly won't be finishing off any more of the broader series.

I am now re-reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back