Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

So Ogilvey grabbed Lever last year and hes are be all end all, Rendell left in 2012 and most would know he was good? I am not trusting Ogilvey with anything after one pick, lever is good, fair pick for a first rounder but I wouldnt expect anything less would you?

You may be surprised to learn that we have an entire team of recruiters, which is still almost entirely intact from Rendell's tenure.

It's too early to declare Lever a resounding success yet but I would say he looks like a brilliant choice for pick 14.

The kid was predicted to make a list just not as a first rounder, where there were numerous other talent predicted to go that high that we didnt take. They were predicted to go that high for a reason not because there name sounded good.
Who cares where they were 'predicted' to go. FFS.
They- the recruiters, whos job it is, who have done well in the past, who will wear the blame if it fails- rated him higher. They think he is a better prospect than say Burton for example. Given that we go local if the talent is even, it would suggest we dont rate Burton at all.

What you are in fact saying, is that youd rather us ignore this- draft someone like Burton- even if he doesnt make it and Doedee turns out to be the superior pick. Just to make you feel better, today, because Cal Twomey and everyone else that copied his phantom draft 'predicted' it. Crazy.

Now if in a couple of years Doedee is proving to be a dud, then we have wasted a pick, and thats the time to go full lindy. As of right now though, the selection is no better or worse than Milera. They will both be judged years down the track. Boom, bust, or something inbetween, we dont know what will happen.

Speaking to a recruiter the other day he said that Quayle, Twomey & Anderson go to the majority of underage games in Victoria plus the championships. Cardona goes to a few, Caro/Landsberger etc go to none. Interesting info I thought. I'll back our recruiters in though.

But they only watch them for the current year, right now, Quale and Twomey will be meeting the AIS kids for the next draft and will spend the next year watching the kids for next years draft, they will probably spend the first half of the year just working out who to keep an eye on. Our recruiters have already been watching these kids for 2 years, they know round 1 who to watch.

We talked to Doedee in Feb, before any of the journalists knew he existed.

This shits me- its not eating what the afc says up with a spoon. He may very well not make it, but its just ridiculous to declare a pick wasted before the kid has even played a game.

It appears a lot of BF posters do eat up a lot with that spoon, and not worry about a very odd decision, with the response I trust the recruiters as they are soooooo damn good. Face facts we are and have been shite for so long its getting long in the tooth. Decisions like this need to be highlighted but luckily Rucci will do that.

It appears a lot of BF posters do eat up a lot with that spoon, and not worry about a very odd decision, with the response I trust the recruiters as they are soooooo damn good. Face facts we are and have been shite for so long its getting long in the tooth. Decisions like this need to be highlighted but luckily Rucci will do that.
11745419_1459106387742275_7676522636770123712_n.jpg

Marty's right everyone, we need to be more like Hawthorn.

Everyone email Fages and demand we waste top 10 picks 2 years in a row by picking kids who will play less than 10 games. Demand we take a talented father-son midfielder and trade him to Sydney where he will become a Brownlow contender and one of the best inside mids in the comp. Demand we take a father-son who becomes the first player to receive 3 strikes, Demand we draft a future meth addict who no club has been willing to draft for consecutive drafts.

It's not an odd decision. The AFC drafted him because they thought he was the best player available at that selection. End of.

The fact that various phantom drafters didn't rate him matters not one iota and is no indication whatsoever as to his likely success.

We trust our recruitment team because they haven't got a single 1st round draft pick wrong since Fantasia was kicked out of the job back in 2007. Since then, every single 1st round draft selection we've made has been a hit. Rendell & Ogilvy (who was Rendell's assistant before taking over full-time) have had a 100% strike rate. That earns them the benefit of the doubt.

It may well be that Doedee turns out to be a dud. Only time will tell. Going full lindy right now just makes you look like a hysterical idiot, someone who didn't get the toy he wanted for Christmas (Burton) and is throwing a childish hissy-fit as a result. Have a bit of patience, and trust our talent identification team (which is arguably the best performed section of the AFC over the last 8 years).

Speculation: Order of the day, apparently. People have creamed over draftees that never got near it and scoffed at others that rose to the top of the league. Let's just give the lad a chance, especially since he and his family are no doubt going to read this pessimistic drivel fest. Do your best son, the bulk of us will judge you on your merits.

If they do, I hope they see a bunch of very passionate fans here (some with highly capable football minds and some with very sharp teeth) where many - if not the majority - welcome Tom and his family to our club and very much look forward to see him put on the Crows hoops in the years to come.

744904 Holy Grail - Black Knight.gif [1.0mb]
I'll bite ya.gif I'll bite ya.gif [1.0mb]

Black Knight - It's Only Minor.jpg

king riding.gif king riding.gif [1.0mb]
king riding - klik klok.gif king riding - klik klok.gif [1.0mb]
[giphy.com]  a69.gif [giphy.com]  a69.gif [0.9mb]

Last edited:
Doedee's sister is hot!
….great pick up by the Crows!

Err.... that's not his sister.

With the amount of recruiting experts on this board, it's a wonder the crows even bother having half a dozen full time recruiters who spend every waking hour watching games, analysing recruiting metrics and doing character assessments.

Obviously the club is wasting too much money on the recruitment department - our balance sheet should be a lot better.

signature WARNING.jpg

Last edited:
9 and 13 was never getting us Pick 2, when Pick 2 was Schache.

We might have tried, but it just wasn't going to happen

Obviously it didn't happen, but my point is we tried to do it. People are criticizing over planning and strategy of the draft during the trade period, but I think it's about the execution, there were a few extra things we wanted to do but they just didn't work out. It wasn't failure of a off-season, but we missed some opportunites.

You do realise you can trade fringe players for later picks?

Can be a very difficult thing to do with player veto being present.

Who is to say, bar Kerridge that no one wanted to leave?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have acheived nothing in since 1998, drafting is pretty much the key to having a shot at the flag!

Bar your ridiculous strawman, that comment couldn't be further from the truth.

When is the Melbourne/Carlton dynasty happening? What about Sydney who are one of the worst early pick drafting side, shouldn't they be at the bottom?

We have had our problems, however our drafting side hasn't been one of them.

I agree the proof will be down the track, but peoples blind following of decisions made is ridiculous, yes I am listening to so called AFL experts on the subject but in 90% of the time its accurate, I hope this is that 10% time they are wrong. But leading into this draft we all knew from these experts it was a thin draft we have collected one of those thin players not with a 2nd or 3rd rounder but a prized 1st, it seems one enormous risk you simply cant brush under the carpet and needs to monitored and unfortunatly the pressure will be on Doedee, but I cant see Rucci letting this slide can you?
we wanted the Hindenberg, we rated Doedee higher than Burton, Collins, etc etc. What more is there to argue about?

we wanted the Hindenberg, we rated Doedee higher than Burton, Collins, etc etc. What more is there to argue about?
We should pick based on Cal Twomeys phantom draft.
We should also make our half time changes based on what David King reckons in the war room on Fox.

The Crows' next choice, Doedee, came in reasonably high, but Adelaide took only two picks and the second-rounder they gave up as part of the Troy Menzel deal might not have been enough to get him. When you consider the Crows brought in some "outside" types during the trade period, there is some logic in them complementing that with a competitive, one-on-one type. Doedee is reasonably new to football having played a lot of basketball, and plenty of kids this year found him a really tough opponent.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-approach-20151125-gl7z52.html#ixzz3sYmhWirt
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

The Crows' next choice, Doedee, came in reasonably high, but Adelaide took only two picks and the second-rounder they gave up as part of the Troy Menzel deal might not have been enough to get him. When you consider the Crows brought in some "outside" types during the trade period, there is some logic in them complementing that with a competitive, one-on-one type. Doedee is reasonably new to football having played a lot of basketball, and plenty of kids this year found him a really tough opponent.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-approach-20151125-gl7z52.html#ixzz3sYmhWirt
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
I like that players found him hard to play on. The upside for this kid is pretty big, lets hope he fulfills it.

We're obviously fairly content with the inside mids we have in the stable - Lyons, CEY, M Crouch, Grigg. Think that some of them will step in to play a role.

Also next year is apparently a midfielder heavy draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back