Player Watch #38: Steven Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember he still has 2 years left and wont be delisted before that time. Don't mind him as a small defender and just that. But he does have to be better on those really nippy types who tend to be able to get away from him on transition. But a list you need back up and think he still has tools we need as this type of player. We really only have him and Vlastuin and these types.

I still like him. I reckon he's good enough as a back pocket, but there are just too many guys ahead of him. I suppose that makes him depth, but IMO he's a very valuable team member. I'd have him in the team ahead of Hunt, but you'd have to assume Yarran is taking Hunt's spot anyway, which leaves Morris.... still just out of the side.

I'd be disappointed if he gets delisted at the end of the season.
He would need to be traded out as he's contracted until 2017 ends

Also I can't help but think he would be held in much higher regard if he was left in the back pocket and was able to do what he is good at, instead of being put forward into a role he doesn't know.

Na. Clubs worked him out and isolated him deep in their forward line. Bombed it in long and he was chopped up.
Robbie Gray destroyed him in the Chappy aeroplane game.

Unfortunately for Steve he is on borrowed time, one trick pony and his trick isn't that great anymore. Unless he can find a new string to add to the bow in the VFL I don't expect to see him play much in the 1's. Guys like Betts are too quick for him and he is better suited to VFL now.
Once thebelow the knees rule came in his game became immediately limited. Unlucky for him, I really liked him cannonballing into packs...

Always got time for a bloke who gives 100% for the jumper.

You're in a pretty good spot when you've got a small defender of his ilk as backup. Chances are we're not going to get a full season out of Grimes & Batchelor, happy for Morris to come in if either of them go down, just not as a forward thanks.

Na. Clubs worked him out and isolated him deep in their forward line. Bombed it in long and he was chopped up.
Robbie Gray destroyed him in the Chappy aeroplane game.
That's it . You got it in one and this is how leper worked out Yarran. Force them deep and they panic then turnover goal
We need to play Yazza wing to forward.
Yazza is a much better player than Morris and he could succeed in this role,whereas Morris has no skills and was a flop.
Morris is VFL captain at best just to teach the boys about hardness and grunt.

He'll have had 7 years on our list at the end of his contract... A great effort by anyone

Long enough to have played enough games for a possible father son selection....:)

worst thing the club ever did was try to make him a forward a la Jake King. He's best position is lock-down back pocket to play on the likes of Eddie Betts. I don't blame Steve for his decline, the club tried to make him something he's not and the league is going a different way in terms of rotation caps.

I do agree though, one trick pony and given the move towards lower rotations I don't see him as being able to play more than one position. He will still have his value at the club as a depth player for injury cover etc. I for one appreciate his toughness and willingness to play through injury but agree, he's on borrowed time

When you have the worst list in the comp. substandard AFL players get games. Through tenacity and a total disregard for his health, he saved many a goal down back 2-3 years ago. Respect that! The other poorly skilled and bad decision makers around him contributed to the comedy capers our team WAS.

However, thanks for helping out during the hard times Steve, hopefully you have passed on your attitude to the current young players who can make us a top 4 team, but that can't happen from the field. Unfortunately you are no Hodge/Selwood

Steve has only played one season for this club with a losing record (his first) and we we went 10-11-1.

A lot of people (including myself at times) are underselling Steve because of his role up forward this year. He was a very good lockdown defender and will at the least provide a very good back-up. I thought he played reasonably well late in the year down back and expect that now he has settled back in the backline he will work his arse off to get back in the team. It is players like Steve that will either lift their game enough to get in the team or keep the rest of the players honest, he is the perfect clubman.

Giving everything on the field, or being 100% committed to the jumper really should be expected not applauded at this level. I am all for feel good stories and pleasant surprises in AFL, but Morris should be thrilled with what he has achieved, but without the rose tinted glasses on he is VFL level at best, which is not an insult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a good leader for the young players on work ethic and the like but shouldn't be playing if our best 22 are available.
Should stay as that lock down defender, this pre season he must work on his kicking and decision making.
Will provide quality depth for the team over the next two years

Sent from my iPhone

That's it . You got it in one and this is how leper worked out Yarran. Force them deep and they panic then turnover goal
We need to play Yazza wing to forward.
Yazza is a much better player than Morris and he could succeed in this role,whereas Morris has no skills and was a flop.
Morris is VFL captain at best just to teach the boys about hardness and grunt.

When did Leppa work out Yarran ?

Was it in 2014 when Yarran ripped us a new one and did not even use Lube ? Nearly won them the game, with 3 goals, 8 inside 50's and his run and carry...

No Leppa was at the lions.

Was it in 2012 when Yarran was named in the best, kicked 2 goals and ripped us to shreds, thanks Leppa :p

On topic. Morris is just depth only. Credit to him though, he works his ass off but the teams natural progression has passed him. He will add value to the VFL squad as well as being a example for the young kids in how to act on the training track.

Going to wait until the opening rounds and see if he has worked on his game over the pre season...like by worked i mean the stuff that dudes like Axel did to get to where they go to, i.e. going the extra yard outside normal training...he has to add at least another string if not 2 to his bow..

Going to wait until the opening rounds and see if he has worked on his game over the pre season...like by worked i mean the stuff that dudes like Axel did to get to where they go to, i.e. going the extra yard outside normal training...he has to add at least another string if not 2 to his bow..

That's a good post CoggaRules.
Been hanging on to him as a favourite because of his toughness.

When did Leppa work out Yarran ?

Was it in 2014 when Yarran ripped us a new one and did not even use Lube ? Nearly won them the game, with 3 goals, 8 inside 50's and his run and carry...

No Leppa was at the lions.

Was it in 2012 when Yarran was named in the best, kicked 2 goals and ripped us to shreds, thanks Leppa :p

On topic. Morris is just depth only. Credit to him though, he works his ass off but the teams natural progression has passed him. He will add value to the VFL squad as well as being a example for the young kids in how to act on the training track.
didn't realize yarran played for us between 2012-14????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back