Horsham & District Football League 2016!

Remove this Banner Ad

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Yarrawonga Pigeons
Interesting year is right. I was wondering who was going to drop from the five if the Giants were to make it in, but now that won't be an issue. At a guess, I'd say the top five from last year plus Giants will play finals, but there might be a bit of a shake up in the order and a lot of close matches hopefully.
Interesting year is right. I was wondering who was going to drop from the five if the Giants were to make it in, but now that won't be an issue. At a guess, I'd say the top five from last year plus Giants will play finals, but there might be a bit of a shake up in the order and a lot of close matches hopefully.
i think swifts will miss out and SMG will get ex blues and devil players back to the club who play down horsham way

I've heard Rupanyup have approached Stawell Warriors to merge for next season.

Sounds like they are really battling to field 2 sides.
Rup WON'T merge the club has young kids coming through and will easily cover to senior sides that information is incorrect.

Well that is good news. Was it Rup that didn't have an U17s side last season?

They haven't for the past 2 seasons. I can't see where these "young kids coming through" are going to come from. Good luck to them if they are going to tough it out and scrape together a couple of senior sides, but I'd imagine the writing is on the wall if they don't have a junior side. I think they should get on the front foot, like I've heard they are doing, and look to merge before they don't have a club at all

Well that is good news. Was it Rup that didn't have an U17s side last season?
Yeah for the past two years due to low numbers in that age group, but have good younger numbers coming through they just have to compete with Murtoa for numbers.

The club isn't "scraping together two seniors sides" 2 years ago the reserves won a flag and the seniors were close to a grand final. Just because a club has a couple of raw years doesn't mean they need to merge. Just look at how Taylor's have turned it around they were a basket case a couple of years back.

The club isn't "scraping together two seniors sides" 2 years ago the reserves won a flag and the seniors were close to a grand final. Just because a club has a couple of raw years doesn't mean they need to merge. Just look at how Taylor's have turned it around they were a basket case a couple of years back.
The Lakers have done a great job having current success, as they were certainly down and out in the '90s and 2000s as I recall (similar to GK, DHML, and Homers - all now long gone).

But I do think it's very hard for a club if they don't have juniors. That was the writing on the wall for United. Kudos to Rup if they've got a younger brigade coming through though and get their sides back in to full swing.

The Lakers have done a great job having current success, as they were certainly down and out in the '90s and 2000s as I recall (similar to GK, DHML, and Homers - all now long gone).

But I do think it's very hard for a club if they don't have juniors. That was the writing on the wall for United. Kudos to Rup if they've got a younger brigade coming through though and get their sides back in to full swing.
well u can i remember Nullawil when they were in the Southern Mallee didnt have a under 16s side for years they only had under 13, reserves and seniors but now their in golden rivers they seem to beable to filed lower grades

guessing when under 14s get too old then they will slowly gain under 17s again it be hard when losing the kids to school in say Ballarat or Melbourne

well u can i remember Nullawil when they were in the Southern Mallee didnt have a under 16s side for years they only had under 13, reserves and seniors but now their in golden rivers they seem to beable to filed lower grades

guessing when under 14s get too old then they will slowly gain under 17s again it be hard when losing the kids to school in say Ballarat or Melbourne
Yeah, losing that age group of kids is tough. Even worse if they go to another club to play the remainder of their juniors as it's then very hard to get them back. That was one of the main reasons the HDFL changed from U16s to U17s as I recall, because some junior players would play one more year of U17s in the WFL and then never come back.

Kudos to Nullawil for persisting - when kids came out of the U13s, did some play another year over age and then some play Twos? Or did they go somewhere else or have a year or two off? I imagine it would have been tricky.

Yeah, losing that age group of kids is tough. Even worse if they go to another club to play the remainder of their juniors as it's then very hard to get them back. That was one of the main reasons the HDFL changed from U16s to U17s as I recall, because some junior players would play one more year of U17s in the WFL and then never come back.

Kudos to Nullawil for persisting - when kids came out of the U13s, did some play another year over age and then some play Twos? Or did they go somewhere else or have a year or two off? I imagine it would have been tricky.
yeah sure is Nullawil would been probly size of Pimpinio alot of their players came from bendigo and i think Melbourne and still had quite a few local players seems since moving to GR they must picked up some . i think @ the time Nullawil just had enough for scratch matches thats about all up there u get players fill in from the other club their playing happend alot in the under 13s and sometimes in the under 16s brim we were very fortunate to have plenty of spare players rarely we didnt we oftern get players from Warracknabeal who couldnt get a game with then the lions .
up there its super hard with kids going away for schooling or work rarly do they work on the farms which is a shame clubs would not be in the predicemate if they could have kept the kids @ the clubs

Our worst trouble is losing kids just after they leave school to head off for uni or work. We might get one year of open age footy out of them and then they're gone. And it becomes a big ask to get them to travel from the likes of Bendigo, Ballarat, Adelaide or even further, especially if it's just for a game of Twos.

Our worst trouble is losing kids just after they leave school to head off for uni or work. We might get one year of open age footy out of them and then they're gone. And it becomes a big ask to get them to travel from the likes of Bendigo, Ballarat, Adelaide or even further, especially if it's just for a game of Twos.

We always had a very good Strong Reserves side made the grand final just about every year seems always end up playing Hopetoun or rarley someone else i remember when the Grand final was @ Nullawil , and when we played in the 2000 grand final @ Sea Lake it was a horrible wet and windy day
If Brim was having a Good year Neighbouring club WFL warracknabeal was down the bottom wasnt happy when we were merging shows u dont have to be stugggling to merge dont know if it was from losing players or Warracknabeal lack of $$$ we had more money then warrack did i think thats they reason why they wanted to Merge

2016 fixtures just been released its going from 18 rounds this year to 1 rounds in 2016
http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/3536331/hdfnl-draw-2016/?cs=226

Round 1 – April 9

Jeparit-Rainbow v Noradjuha-Quantong

Natimuk United v Swifts

Laharum v Kalkee

Edenhope-Apsley v Harrow-Balmoral

Pimpinio v Taylors Lake

Rupanyup v Southern Mallee Giants

See your ad here
Round 2 – April 16

Swifts v Jeparit-Rainbow

Kalkee v Natimuk United

Harrow-Balmoral v Laharum

Taylors Lake v Edenhope-Apsley

Southern Mallee Giants v Pimpinio

Noradjuha-Quantong v Rupanyup

Round 3 – April 23

Jeparit-Rainbow v Kalkee

Natimuk United v Harrow-Balmoral

Laharum v Taylors Lake

Edenhope-Apsley v Southern Mallee Giants

Pimpinio v Rupanyup

Swifts Noradjuha-Quantong

Round 4 – April 30

Harrow-Balmoral v Jeparit-Rainbow

Taylors Lake v Natimuk United

Southern Mallee Giants v Laharum

Rupanyup v Edenhope-Apsley

Noradjuha-Quantong v Pimpinio

Kalkee v Swifts

Round 5 – May 7

Jeparit-Rainbow v Taylors Lake

Natimuk United v Southern Mallee Giants

Laharum v Rupanyup

Edenhope-Apsley v Pimpinio

Swifts v Harrow-Balmoral

Kalkee v Noradjuha-Quantong

Round 6 – May 14

Southern Mallee Giants v Jeparit-Rainbow

Rupanyup v Natimuk United

Pimpinio v Laharum

Noradjuha-Quantong v Edenhope-Apsley

Swifts v Taylors Lake

Kalkee v Harrow-Balmoral

Interleague – May 21

Round 7 – May 28

Jeparit-Rainbow v Natimuk United

Laharum v Swifts

Edenhope-Apsley v Kalkee

Harrow-Balmoral v Pimpinio

Taylors Lake v Rupanyup

Noradjuha-Quantong v Southern Mallee Giants

Round 8 – June 4

Jeparit-Rainbow v Edenhope-Apsley

Natimuk United v Laharum

Swifts v Pimpinio

Kalkee v Rupanyup

Harrow-Balmoral v Southern Mallee Giants

Taylors Lake v Noradjuha-Quantong

Full Bye – June 9

Round 9 – June 18

Laharum v Jeparit-Rainbow

Natimuk United v Noradjuha-Quantong

Edenhope-Apsley v Swifts

Pimpinio v Kalkee

Rupanyup v Harrow-Balmoral

Southern Mallee Giants v Taylors Lake

Round 10 – June 25

Pimpinio v Jeparit-Rainbow

Edenhope-Apsley v Natimuk United

Noradjuha-Quantong v Laharum

Rupanyup v Swifts

Southern Mallee Giants v Kalkee

Taylors Lake v Harrow-Balmoral

TAC Cup – North Ballarat Rebels v Western Jets @ Stawell – June 26

Round 11 – July 2

Jeparit-Rainbow v Rupanyup

Natimuk United v Pimpinio

Laharum v Edenhope-Apsley

Swifts v Southern Mallee Giants

Kalkee v Taylors Lake

Harrow-Balmoral v Noradjuha-Quantong

Round 12 – July 9

Jeparit-Rainbow v Swifts

Natimuk United v Kalkee

Laharum v Harrow-Balmoral

Edenhope-Apsley v Taylors Lake

Pimpinio v Southern Mallee Giants

Rupanyup v Noradjuha-Quantong

Full bye – July 16

Round 13 – July 23

Noradjuha-Quantong v Jeparit-Rainbow

Swifts v Natimuk United

Kalkee v Laharum

Harrow-Balmoral v Edenhope-Apsley

Taylors Lake v Pimpinio

Southern Mallee Giants v Rupanyup

Round 14 – July 30

Kalkee v Jeparit-Rainbow

Harrow-Balmoral v Natimuk United

Taylors Lake v Laharum

Southern Mallee Giants v Edenhope-Apsley

Rupanyup v Pimpinio

Noradjuha-Quantong v Swifts

Round 15 – August 6

Jeparit-Rainbow v Harrow-Balmoral

Natimuk United v Taylors Lake

Laharum v Southern Mallee Giants

Edenhope-Apsley v Rupanyup

Pimpinio v Noradjuha-Quantong

Swifts v Kalkee

Round 16 – August 13

Taylors Lake v Jeparit-Rainbow

Southern Mallee Giants v Natimuk United

Rupanyup v Laharum

Pimpinio v Edenhope-Apsley

Harrow-Balmoral v Swifts

Noradjuha-Quantong v Kalkee

Elimination Final – 1 August 20

Elimination Final – 2 August 21

2nd Semi Final – August 27

1st Semi Final – August 29

Preliminary Final – September 4

Grand Final – September 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. And the WFL is due to start on the 2nd of April (according to the draft draw), where as we've normally been a week later than the HDFL. The WFL Grand Final is scheduled for the 3rd of September (where as this year it was on the 19th). Does anyone know why there's been the change? As long as I've been paying attention (admittedly, only the last few years) it's always gone HDFL, WFL, AFL for the last three weeks of September?

Interesting. And the WFL is due to start on the 2nd of April (according to the draft draw), where as we've normally been a week later than the HDFL. The WFL Grand Final is scheduled for the 3rd of September (where as this year it was on the 19th). Does anyone know why there's been the change? As long as I've been paying attention (admittedly, only the last few years) it's always gone HDFL, WFL, AFL for the last three weeks of September?
saw on the draw on the SMG facebook Page listed ond the draw HDFL 4 year plan 2016, 2017,2019 16 Rounds & 2018 18 rounds venues where teams have 2 grounds yet to be advised

the official WFL draw is just released and yep April 2

I did ask on their Facebook page why the change in scheduling. The WFL Grand Final will fall on the weekend that is a week off for the AFL (it's that week before finals where everyone gets a rest). And because the HDFL will play their Preliminary Final on the Sunday, it means there'll be no football anywhere for 200km. So hopefully that'll get a few through the gate.

I did ask on their Facebook page why the change in scheduling. The WFL Grand Final will fall on the weekend that is a week off for the AFL (it's that week before finals where everyone gets a rest). And because the HDFL will play their Preliminary Final on the Sunday, it means there'll be no football anywhere for 200km. So hopefully that'll get a few through the gate.
espcially under14s that start @ 9:35 and say games at Edenhope played SMG and players who live in say Hopetoun who has kids who would be playing in the under 14s and also ones from beulah be a nice early start

Bit Quiet on hear people! Any recruiting or club news over the xmas break?
League should go up a gear with another strong club coming in SM Giants, and EA Saints getting Rowe and another 4or5 good players. 7 strong teams fighting for top 6.
Heynon for a full year will be good at Laharum and they'll find a few more, quiet at Kalkee but will always be around it as long as the old core group is there. HB Roos have Ellis coming home, McIntosh and Brewer from Hamilton and M Staude back from injury, and maybe a few of their mates as well. T Lakers have a few coming back from injury, a couple of solid players from pimp in Turmine and Hill and Cross and Johnston, so should be better. JR Storm will be better for a year in the HDFNL and a lot better with Ash Clugston alone.
EA Saints have gone from talking merger to talking top 6 Ryan will be a big physical key forward, Oliver sets them up and the cousins Rowes, Butler and Kirby give them height and talent.
SM Giants would be short price to play off with Laharum, the teething problems of amalgamation will be behind them and challenge of a new league will unite them. Robins, Burdett, Drew, Orval, Weddell, Webster, Price head a strong list, maybe some of the smaller grounds and a wet winter are cause for concern.
Hard to see the the other 5 climbing higher, but good to see S Carey and Jase Kerr have a crack at coaching.

Sounds like the HDFL will have seven quality sides gunning for only six places. Someone will be very disappointed.

Some early movement in the HDFNL:Ollie Braithwaite leaving the premiers,Kee Matt Magee to the Loddon Valley and cousin Zavier Hobbs going to Horsham? Southern Roos keep building, Hugh Douglas from Hamilton Kangaroos the big key forward they have been crying out for and Lachie Kelly from Wicky-Bolac was rarely out of the best last year, also a couple of handy locals returning from Ballarat area Leagues.
Edenhope Apsley will have gains offset by loss of Nolan, Cother and Gabbe to Border Districts plus non return of gun onballers Christie and McCleish.Pimp have done well Beddison, Knott and Mines coming and Darcy Oconnor returning, but losses to Taylors Lake show how hard it is to get up when your in the bottom few.
Talk of Sam Clyne to the Giants, probably not Robinson Crusoe.
Umpires merger might be just as interesting as the football, how much are the WFNL and HDFNL chipping in for the administrator/peacemaker?

Some early movement in the HDFNL:Ollie Braithwaite leaving the premiers,Kee Matt Magee to the Loddon Valley and cousin Zavier Hobbs going to Horsham? Southern Roos keep building, Hugh Douglas from Hamilton Kangaroos the big key forward they have been crying out for and Lachie Kelly from Wicky-Bolac was rarely out of the best last year, also a couple of handy locals returning from Ballarat area Leagues.
Edenhope Apsley will have gains offset by loss of Nolan, Cother and Gabbe to Border Districts plus non return of gun onballers Christie and McCleish.Pimp have done well Beddison, Knott and Mines coming and Darcy Oconnor returning, but losses to Taylors Lake show how hard it is to get up when your in the bottom few.
Talk of Sam Clyne to the Giants, probably not Robinson Crusoe.
Umpires merger might be just as interesting as the football, how much are the WFNL and HDFNL chipping in for the administrator/peacemaker?

What?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back