Science & Mathematics Is it possible to knock yourself out with your own fist

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
remember that scene in the movie Fight Club where

The narrator was trying to blackmail his boss into paying him a sum of money by punching himself in the face to make it look like he was physically assaulted.

is it physically possible to generate enough force by punching yourself with your own fist so that you will be knocked out cold?

Probably.

I used to know somebody who could hold their breath until they passed out.
That's meant to be impossible due to a subconscious reflex action that prevents you from doing so.

I'm guessing they're similar things (eg - you would automatically stop yourself from punching yourself hard)?

Yahoo knows all. Yahoo also tends to own the unwary said:
In order to appease you and your overinflated ego, I am going to give you an analysis on the topic.

The head is a very sensitive area of the human body that contains the most vital areas that control your whole body. If this is taken into consideration, it really doesn't matter how strong you are because unless you are an unusually weak person, you would knock yourself out easily.

However, comparing the durability of one regular human head to another is not the correct way to tackle this concept. Instead, you should look at fighters. Do you notice that boxers can take more blows to the head than normal people? That is probably because they have damaged most of their nerves and therefore have "harder heads" (but in reality they just cannot feel blows as well as normal people who have not taken countless blows to the head).

So in conclusion, I would have to say that it doesn't matter how strong you are, just how damaged your nerves are. You really can not tell whether people are strong or not just because they can knock themselves out.

By the way, I can't resist taking a jab at you; isn't it very strange that you are the one asking such a nonsensical question and you are calling other people stupid? They have kindly taken their valuable time answering your idiotic question and you put them down! Do you realize how rude you are?

Personally, if you think you are so much smarter than all the people that answered your question, then I think that you could easily have just tricked one of your hometown *s into doing the experiment instead of "ruining your beautiful face". Don't you think this would have been a lot easier? Then you wouldn't be bothering others and you would have your answer already, right?

Use your head, "smart guy"!

so.....:confused:

I'd say it would be impossible to do intentionally, because from what I understand you are less susceptible to being knocked out if you anticipate the impact (giving you the chance to 'brace' yourself).

Anyone feel like doing an in-depth analysis and reporting back to us?

Well not intentionally. you can knock yourself out, but with the punch you prepared for some one else. If your body comes in between when you tried to knock something else with force. Well no one will be able to hurt themselves unless you are crazy to do something weird. Our reflex action with force us to move away or lessen the force. If you are distracted then you can hurt yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dove of a 10 metre board and punched myself as my arm bent back as it hit the water.
Didn't knock myself out, but I bet you could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back