2016 VFL SEASON

Remove this Banner Ad

Not that much. Polkinghorne and Coghlan will likely be promoted. Might actually help them, getting blokes like Lisle and co as VFL guns.

Good point. If Coghlan, Polkinghorne, Schroeder and co get elevated to top up players, would that leave spots open on Essendon's VFL list? I am assuming it wouldn't, but how many players have been at the Dons' VFL training.

Strangely enough I thought the same thing! They've basically got license to take 10 State league guns and put them in a team together, and assuming they won't all player for the AFL side straight away, that becomes a nice strong VFL side! Could go the other way but, I really don't know!

As a Coburg person, while it would be great to see someone given an AFL opportunity, it would suck if they were taken from us now and then ended up playing against us several times this year!
Only Burger that I reckon would be a chance is Uysal. Even then I'm not 100% on that.
Good point. If Coghlan, Polkinghorne, Schroeder and co get elevated to top up players, would that leave spots open on Essendon's VFL list? I am assuming it wouldn't, but how many players have been at the Dons' VFL training.
I think they would, but don't see Schroder getting promoted, he'll stay down and be the captain for the year.

I'm more worried on what the Essendon decisions impact will have on the other clubs of the competition, such as mine
AFL has ruled only one player per VFL club can be used as top ups for Essendon. I wonder if big Ayce might be in Essendon's sights?

AFL has ruled only one player per VFL club can be used as top ups for Essendon. I wonder if big Ayce might be in Essendon's sights?
If we're going for Willy big men I'd rather Meese tbh.

Going to go along to Northern Blues games this year. Sounds like I shouldn't expect many wins!

Really enjoyed following the NFL Div 1 last year. Something about 'local' footy that appeals to me over the big league stuff.

I'll keep my Eltham membership in that league, but as a Carlton fan I thought it'd be good to see some young players come through the 2's at Preston this year.

Looking forward to it.

when do all VFL lists need to be submitted by? is there a website or has anyone been keeping track of how many spots each club may have left?

when do all VFL lists need to be submitted by? is there a website or has anyone been keeping track of how many spots each club may have left?
Last week of Feb IIRC

Going to go along to Northern Blues games this year. Sounds like I shouldn't expect many wins!

Really enjoyed following the NFL Div 1 last year. Something about 'local' footy that appeals to me over the big league stuff.

I'll keep my Eltham membership in that league, but as a Carlton fan I thought it'd be good to see some young players come through the 2's at Preston this year.

Looking forward to it.
The no bs aspects of VFL and local footy is a real selling point for me.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

The no bs aspects of VFL and local footy is a real selling point for me.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Absolutely.

Theres a complete absence of corporatism and manufactured 'match day experience'. Its just about the game.

AFL is still great, but those differences are very appealing to me. Plus, when it comes to value for money, local footy is one of the best investments around. I spent $50 on my Eltham membership last year and they won a bunch of nailbiters, made prelims, and I got a free beer at each home game. No crowded train stations, $2 for a snag, and getting around the coach and team at quarter time. I couldve spent ten times that to watch Malthouses Carlton instead....!

Back to back for us this year I reckon. ;)
Defence has taken a bit of a hit with the loss of Dea and Steinberg. Forward line will be close to the best in the league however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McEvoy and Saad should be good contributors for Coburg, and the vast majority of the remaining recruits are wild cards (not yet proven at VFL level).

Losing 5 of their 8 club leaders in the off season (Carnell, Venditti, Hartley, Clifton and Morton) leaves a big vacuum. Hopefully the remaining 3 can have better seasons and a few others step up.

They weren't far off finals in 2015 though, so natural improvement from the young list should see them competitive once again.

Absolutely.

Theres a complete absence of corporatism and manufactured 'match day experience'. Its just about the game.

AFL is still great, but those differences are very appealing to me. Plus, when it comes to value for money, local footy is one of the best investments around. I spent $50 on my Eltham membership last year and they won a bunch of nailbiters, made prelims, and I got a free beer at each home game. No crowded train stations, $2 for a snag, and getting around the coach and team at quarter time. I couldve spent ten times that to watch Malthouses Carlton instead....!

Unfortunately all the sports media and and about 97% of the public dont agree with you and thats why the current VFL ex VFA are lucky to pull 10 - 15,000 people to their games weekly The AFL won this contest 20 years back and no matter how "wonderful "the VFL or local footy match day experience is the public dont buy it.

The AFL is still the biggest game in town by a country mile as shown by last nights big soccer match Victory v Sydney which only pulled 20,000+ to AAMI Park and two AFL practice matches in one in Melbourne and one in Geelong at the weekend got roughly the same crowds!

Unfortunately all the sports media and and about 97% of the public dont agree with you and thats why the current VFL ex VFA are lucky to pull 10 - 15,000 people to their games weekly The AFL won this contest 20 years back and no matter how "wonderful "the VFL or local footy match day experience is the public dont buy it.

The AFL is still the biggest game in town by a country mile as shown by last nights big soccer match Victory v Sydney which only pulled 20,000+ to AAMI Park and two AFL practice matches in one in Melbourne and one in Geelong at the weekend got roughly the same crowds!
No one is disagreeing with you, it was just a couple of people discussing their personal preferences.

The VFL is an excellent 'other' option. It will always have a place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back