Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There is just no logical explanation given he was extended which makes it even more bizarre... which is why he has lost me as coach.

Another thing I've noticed is he chops and changes his game plans to the quarter. Its like he is trying to flick the switch from defence to attack from the coaches box.

Didn't we have a 5 year plan
Speaking of five year plans, come to think of it, our year has a lot of Richmond 2009 about it.

Richmond narrowly missed the finals in 2008 after seven years of not making it and there was an expectation they would finally take the next step and make it. Their 2009 season was a crash and burn which saw Wallace fall on his sword in his fifth year at the helm. Ultimately, Richmond bottomed out and had to reset again.

We narrowly missed finals last year after six years of not making it and there was an expectation we would finally take the next step and make it. This season is having a real crash and burn about it and Nicks in his fifth year like Wallace was. The key difference is that Wallace wasn't re-signed as the board wanted to see out the five year plan and he went when it was evident it had failed.

Nicks has clearly been a failure for a number of reasons from his selections, game plan and stubbornness to make any changes. Even though he was re-signed, do the board back track given that it's clear he's lost the plot or do they keep him knowing that it will poorly reflect on them if they sack him?

If we're 0-10 or even 1-9 there's no place to hide. ****, there's no place to hide now, the pressure is mounting and even long-time defenders of the club have turned.

Last edited:

Do we think there are actually some people who agree with the extension but are too scared to post here?
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Kicking goals isn’t just about forward line for starters , it’s just as much about ball movement

We are one of the better ball movement teams in comp and that wasn’t the case prior , that’s a full ground thing

Also Elite forward line players - Tex and Rankine . Rankine didn’t even make AA …. Who else ? Other clubs have forward line players individually as good as ours
I wish this was still the case.

What has happened?

Agree this is the main concern and why it will bring unnecessary pressure if we potentially start badly

Better just to wait until at least the bye and not even give the media a timeline Which port suffered from last year
Another great post.

Last edited:
I think our mindset has changed significantly this year. The focus this year has been that defence is needed for us to win a premiership. The fact is, that when you think in a defensive matter you tend to play worse. I know that I used to play pool and would think "if I miss potting this ball, the white ball will go there and will set up my opponent".... guess what, I often missed potting the ball. My game improved significantly when I changed my mindset to "when I pot this ball, I want the white ball to go there to make it easier for my next shot". I am afraid that Nicks has implemented a negative mind set and needs to return to the game style similar to what we were using late last year. It was an attractive style of game and was getting results better than most of us expected. Hopefully it is not too late, but I suspect it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was only 2 months ago.

Not exactly truthful by our CEO.

I actually believe he was being totally truthful. To what he was told. Clearly the perception within West Lakes was that Nicks was not going to be signed by the club before the season. Somewhere somehow that magically changed and frankly we need to know why. Explaining the cub decided it didn't want the noise over a coach they wanted to keep doesn't pass the pub test. At no stage does any of the actions by the club indicate he was essential to the plans. If anything by not signing him at the end of last year indicated everything but.

As for Rankine in the midfield, Nicks no doubt said so but perhaps he simply doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to experiment. He loves to stick to the tried and proven. Everything he has done and his selection indicates this.

My position is clear .....he's built a team, had linear growth year on year, and won plaudits from an anti Crows footy media .

However I have said, his test now, was to see if he's a finals and a coach capable of winning a GF .......whilst his first 4 games have been cringeworthy, I'm giving him more games than 4, B4 I have an opinion

As I said, Voss had a stretch of 7 losing games last year, supporters wanting his head ! ......he turned it around

So let's wait .....people can rant & vent all they like .....but it isn't changing anything in the short - med term
Yes you’re position is clear, he’s the man to take us to the finals but we can’t judge him until we see how the team performs in finals.

Well given we won’t even make finals, what now?

And your Voss example is idiotic at it a Waynism, what about Neeld and Teague who didn’t turn around their season and were sacked?

Are you really banking on Nicks performing a Voss or is a Neeld/Teague more odds on?

But Wayne, you may enjoy the John Who/Janus level of attention, but it’s embarrassing for someone who claims they brought us Golden North Ice Cream, I’m thinking Golden Shower is more likely

An experienced and confident coach who is able to see the wood for the trees. Not just coaching for survival

This is what I've been saying in regards to Dowling, and it can be applied to Soligo and Rachele as well.

Blight did this with McLeod in 1997 - he played on the likes of Buckley and Voss, and got a good look at the things they did right. I reckon it's safe to say it worked out alright for McLeod.

My position is clear .....he's built a team, had linear growth year on year, and won plaudits from an anti Crows footy media .

However I have said, his test now, was to see if he's a finals and a coach capable of winning a GF .......whilst his first 4 games have been cringeworthy, I'm giving him more games than 4, B4 I have an opinion

As I said, Voss had a stretch of 7 losing games last year, supporters wanting his head ! ......he turned it around

So let's wait .....people can rant & vent all they like .....but it isn't changing anything in the short - med term
If it’s true that he has favourites ( which selection policy seems to suggest) then he’s more like Sanderson than Voss. Our game plan seems so alien to what winning teams are doing at the moment that it’s extremely difficult to see how we are getting in a winning position anytime soon

I know you have been a Nicks fan, I am curious as to understand why you think he is the coach for us? What did you see over the past 4 years that convinced you?

I can answer for Wayne. Everything. Everything Nix did was brilliance, part of a grand plan that was certain to lead to success. Every mistake was deliberate and a necessary step. Reading his beliefs has been a journey.

Back