Preview Round 7, 2024 : Hawks v Swans, 4pm Sunday 28th April, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like the ins, particularly Day! Hopefully Lewis is fully fit and can find some form. Pleasing that Serong has kept his spot as we’ll need Sic coming in third man up.

Mids will need a huge game for us to have a shot.

With this game at the G instead of their cheat home ground we are not without a chance.

Finn to Blakey so we don’t have to hear the call of ‘The Lizard’ all game from Dwayne.
Dwayne calls him even when he doesn't get the ball.
Then totally loses his mind when he does get the ball

The first 5 minutes of this game is going to dictate the result of this game.

If we come out "unsociable" from the bounce, we are in with a chance.

If we come out soft in that first 5 minutes, we'll probably be able to reclaim some of our Sunday evening.

This shits me so much. There is so much inconsistency with how long players are given. I reckon our players should count to 7 out loud in front of the ump when an oppo marks to keep them honest.

Knowing our luck, the ump will probably pay a 50 against us for dissent…..

for suggesting that they can’t count !

Last edited:

Saw this shared on the Swans thread. Apparently we move the ball quicker than any other side. Once we make better use of our F50 entries we'll be laughing. Hopefully Lewis back will help.

Also provides some insight into our lower tackle numbers. We aim to use pressure to force a turnover and counter attack (fast) rather than tackle to win a HTB free kick or create a stoppage (slow).

The key to winning for us I think will be not giving them the corridor. They'll look to gain ground on the wings before switching back into the corridor for their entry inside 50. Likely from a short lead that's hit up by running around the man on the mark who is forced to stand. A tactic highlighted in vision earlier in the thread.

Our forwards will need to be switched on when defending their transition. Get back off the mark, guard the corridor. Let them bring it forward but slow enough that it gives time for our mids to get back to help clog up their forward line. Clog up the space in front of goal and force their entry out to deep in the pockets or up where the fifty meets the boundary.

Swans are 18th for offensive 1v1 win% so if we can force those situations for their forwards under high/long entries in low% scoring positions then best case we are generating more turnovers from a part of the ground we like to start our attack from. Worst case they are taking set shots from difficult spots, which at least have a higher chance of seeing the ball back in our hands. That said, Swans are 2nd for tackles inside F50 and won't be afraid to back their smalls and mids to kick goals from forward 50 stoppages.

Swans are 1st for opposition marks inside 50 per inside 50. That is to say they are good at preventing their opposition from getting set shots. Which says to me that they must have a well organised back line and a midfield that really puts in the work to defend. I think our style of fast ball movement should match up well against the Swans but if it's to work it require a lot more polish on our disposals. Handballs that require a teammate bend down or stretch up to take will cost us as it will offer the perfect opportunity for a Swan to lay a tackle. I'm hoping our midfield can carry the form and confidence found last week forward into this game as they will be up against it with Heeney in Brownlow and MVP form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this shared on the Swans thread. Apparently we move the ball quicker than any other side. Once we make better use of our F50 entries we'll be laughing. Hopefully Lewis back will help.

Also provides some insight into our lower tackle numbers. We aim to use pressure to force a turnover and counter attack (fast) rather than tackle to win a HTB free kick or create a stoppage (slow).

The key to winning for us I think will be not giving them the corridor. They'll look to gain ground on the wings before switching back into the corridor for their entry inside 50. Likely from a short lead that's hit up by running around the man on the mark who is forced to stand. A tactic highlighted in vision earlier in the thread.

Our forwards will need to be switched on when defending their transition. Get back off the mark, guard the corridor. Let them bring it forward but slow enough that it gives time for our mids to get back to help clog up their forward line. Clog up the space in front of goal and force their entry out to deep in the pockets or up where the fifty meets the boundary.

Swans are 18th for offensive 1v1 win% so if we can force those situations for their forwards under high/long entries in low% scoring positions then best case we are generating more turnovers from a part of the ground we like to start our attack from. Worst case they are taking set shots from difficult spots, which at least have a higher chance of seeing the ball back in our hands. That said, Swans are 2nd for tackles inside F50 and won't be afraid to back their smalls and mids to kick goals from forward 50 stoppages.

Swans are 1st for opposition marks inside 50 per inside 50. That is to say they are good at preventing their opposition from getting set shots. Which says to me that they must have a well organised back line and a midfield that really puts in the work to defend. I think our style of fast ball movement should match up well against the Swans but if it's to work it require a lot more polish on our disposals. Handballs that require a teammate bend down or stretch up to take will cost us as it will offer the perfect opportunity for a Swan to lay a tackle. I'm hoping our midfield can carry the form and confidence found last week forward into this game as they will be up against it with Heeney in Brownlow and MVP form.

really cool data

Can anyone explain how GA entry works at the G? Is it standing room only on level 1 or are there accessible seated areas too? Cheers

Imagine how quick it will be when Bailey Mac and CJ and flying up the wing with ball in hand.

These analytic maps are awesome - really gives a good flavour to how we move the ball vs. Sydney. We still love moving really fast, but that's also what tends to cause us to make more unforced errors or overuse.

These analytic maps are awesome - really gives a good flavour to how we move the ball vs. Sydney. We still love moving really fast, but that's also what tends to cause us to make more unforced errors or overuse.
What's also interesting about that is that despite being a team that looks to move the ball forward fast, we aren't just a high-risk high-reward corridor focused team. Something that I think we may have tried to be at times last year that really hurt us on turnover.

I'll be paying a bit more attention to what direction we exit stoppages from now on. Are we slightly more prone to going backwards from stoppage because we want to spread from the stoppage and have a good ball user receive out the back and hit up a runner over the top, or are we simply being denied the most direct route from stoppage to goal because opposition teams know we want to go.

I'd prefer they spend those 7 seconds looking for a team mate to give the ball to, rather than counting down from 7 to 1.

They are male after all and doing 2 things at once can be tricky - so I'm told, regularly.
Before I was married, I used to smash into the backs of cars all the time because I didn't have a wife to gasp and scream when a driver three kilometers ahead lightly touched their brakes.

Love this. The best hawk I’ve seen. Footy was never more fun week to week than when he wore the colours.
Still dead to me once he screwed us over to take the cash with Sydney. He couldn’t give a stuff about the brown and gold, it’s all about the “brand” when it comes to him and his Mrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back