Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Gunston had 1 disposal in the first half. FFS you have to sub him off the back of that.

It was a disturbing watch. The stats say otherwise, but if I'm an oppo fan, I'm saying they're not playing for the coach.

The white flag went up the minute Chol reversed that Hardwick goal. Game over at that point.

How mentally fragile are this group??

Where is rock bottom??? I'm afraid we're not there yet.

I'm retiring Gunston now and taking 2 picks in the MSD. The only thing to look forward to are high picks in any of the drafts.

Play Phillips next week.

The only positive of the day was seeing Buds kids in our colours.

A truly dark day for the club.

Glad someone has said this. I've been saying for a while that something is not right with this team.

Can't we play North every week?

I'll say it again for the slow learners.
Without our best hand full players playing at the top of their game we are no hope of even being consistently competitive.
The rest of the list is C grade (or worse) or too young to have a meaningful impact.

On to the positives from today.
Meek battled hard and is giving his best.
Shammy has slotted in well.
Day got through. Showed glimpses.
Moore, good again. Especially early.

Was a rough watch, but these are the games you will have with a young list.

It just felt like Sydney’s system and defensive / offensive 50s each were so well drilled, that we bounced off their defensive 50 and ours got ripped apart too easily.

Thought Sammy’s presser was good - much better than the loss to GCS. Summed up how I saw the match a bit too. Gotta stay positive and try and find the little wins.

Fact is we bottomed out and we will have blow outs as our side grows. Our forward 50, like last year, still is a massive issue. But we have some big ins coming back in that space over coming weeks (Lewis, Wingard and Wiz) + a few other good prospects doing all the right things at Box Hill (Dear, JOS and Bennetts)

We will be okay - it’s a bloody young list so we will get beat up a bit on the way. Wouldn’t be the Hawks without a few bumps ;)

The Sam Mitchell coaching honeymoon period is over for me. The Hawks under his reign have the saddest on-field performance I can ever recall ever watching. Consistently smacked, smacked early and very little to get excited about for the future.

The AFL has many recent examples of bringing back playing legends soon after retirement to coach the club and it going very poorly - Voss, Hird, Buckley, even Primus. Now Mitchell is joining them with a bullet.

The list management decisions driven by Mitchell have been inconsistent in terms of age demographic, especially overpaying for a cooked Gunston which is looking worse by the week.

His use of the sub is often puzzling at best and looks to be the tip of the iceberg for his struggles with the tactical side of the game.

He was a superstar player who has given so much to to the Hawks on the field. I just don't believe senior coaching is his thing, at least not at the club where he played.

Exactly.

Of all the players who currently deserve a spray Scrimmers would be way, way at the back of the line.
If you hate red-time goals, he deserved a spray.

We need to work on our weak handballing skills. We handball so much but either the ball falls short or we handball to players in poor positions.

We only have a few players that seem to be able to handball more than a couple of metres and a lot who can’t handball that far.

Kicking for goal is really poor. Our kicking in general is atrocious.

We get the ball inside 50 and don’t score most times. So many times we went to enter our forward 50 and our forwards were outnumbered or not even there..

Our backmen seem to always play behind their opponent and so do our forwards, there seems to be a contradiction in playing philosophy there.

We are either unfit or lazy, we don’t run with our opponents.

We fumble too much, it is one of the major differences between the opposition and us.

Lots of work still to do.

Still just watching the replay (into the last quarter) but what a strange game.

I thought we put in a lot of effort early - high pressure, throwing ourselves at the contest, lots of smothers, etc - for absolutely no reward.
Even at this stage, we are still somehow winning the clearances, the contested ball and even the inside 50s but are 11 goals down.

We lack structure, polish and any kind of target to kick to (which forces us to go round in circles instead of risking it foward).

I'm not going to pot Chol. He didn't have a good game today but he's putting in a trying performance given the circumstances.

He's being set up to fail and we're wondering why he's doing poorly. High inside 50 kicks on top of his head against a 2 on 1 or they drop too short so he has to pick it up from his feet.

Sam just keep it simple please. Stop being so ******* cute on selection.

We cannot go in with a KPP trio of Hardwick, Gunston and Chol. It's madness.

it's mind boggling especially when you don't have elite ball users in the middle or the ability to run the ball thru.

Chol was okay, dismal one on one. In his defence like you pointed out that's not his game. He would look better with two KPP next to him. Playing the Ruck/Fwd role. The forward line would function alot better if we had a fit Lewis, Dgb + Chol and a swarm off smalls (Moore,Ginny,Watson,Bruest,Wingard).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's mind boggling especially when you don't have elite ball users in the middle or the ability to run the ball thru.

Chol was okay dismal one on one. In his defence like you pointed out that's not his game. He would look better with two keys next to him. Playing the Ruck/Fwd role. The forward line would function alot better if we had a fit Lewis, Dgb + Chol and a swarm off smalls (Moore,Ginny,Watson,Bruest,Wingard).
Reminds me of games last year where Fergus Greene was our kpf. Selections have been horrible under sam.

Adamant we are better off just kicking it into space in the forward 50 and backing in the smalls to crumb the ball. No point trying to kick to a contest, the ball will just come back over your head.

That was frustrating. Too many senior players taking the wrong option like going inboard at half back to a player under severe pressure instead of the (three!) safe out kicks up the line.

Sicily needs to get back to basics. If Nash isn’t dominating clearances and tackles he doesn’t bring anything else to the team.

Lastly the forward structure was woeful

Still just watching the replay (into the last quarter) but what a strange game.

I thought we put in a lot of effort early - high pressure, throwing ourselves at the contest, lots of smothers, etc - for absolutely no reward.
Even at this stage, we are still somehow winning the clearances, the contested ball and even the inside 50s but are 11 goals down.

We lack structure, polish and any kind of target to kick to (which forces us to go round in circles instead of risking it foward).
Yes, we have serious difficulty turning F50 entries into goals.

• Don't have a real marking presence
  • Can't find space to kick to advantage consistently or execute when we do.
  • Struggle to convert more than 40% of our set shots

Fixing one of these would get us into games for longer. Chol's free kick was heart breaking, we just can't afford that stuff right, every shot on goal is essential.

I think the worst thing for me is we have genuinely taken backwards steps from last year.
I made this point earlier in the year and people jumped all over me. Players who were getting the job done last year simply aren't anywhere near the same standard in 2024.

People wonder about Sicily. IMHO, I feel he's unsure about how he should play the game. I feel the 3-game suspension he received last season for what appeared to be a good tackle in the Brisbane Lions game must be playing with his psyche and confidence. Add to that the lotto the AFL is conducting with player suspensions of late wouldn't be helping him. He knows one false move means certain suspension.

Not sure why others are down on form. I never thought players such as Newcombe would be a problem.

Opposition goals from stoppages is a problem as well, and I hate to think that maybe Sammy doesn't know how to fix this.

We play a game of hot potato with the handballs. No one takes responsibility to find the kick, it's just kick the can down the road to the next guy to eventually cough it up.

If we're going to cough it up at least cough it up deep. Handballing backwards to the next man just means we cough it up higher up the ground and suddenly our defense has it's pants down.

little bit tired of hearing how Ethan Phillips should be selected, like he'll be some sort of panacea for our backline woes.
maybe they will play him, but anyone who has watched the BHH games (I have, all of them) will have seen he absolutely leaks goals, and at best, his disposal is iffy. At this stage, at least, but here's hoping his transition to full-time professional will see him improve out of sight in the next year.
If he was selected now, I shudder to think how he'd go.

On top of the execution and decision making skills when the heat is on , which is not AFL standard i have observed the following when watching the boys live at the ground this season.

When bringing the ball from defence , our players always focus on looking at options on the side they are on . Most times they never look at alternative options ( switching ) it’s just a simple look but most times the players don’t do that. Hence we always bomb it long down the line. It’s also predictable to defend against.
They need to have the intent to switch, to keep the opposition on there toes

When defending , flooding back , our last man in the forward line is a tall . It should be our quickest forward , as they will be able to use their speed if we kick long into space to beat the press .

Thirdly , teams counter us with gut running. To counter this we need to counter back , our issue is that we move the ball slowly out of defence therefore allowing the opposition gut runners to recuperate if the counter doesn’t come off. So what is happening is that they counter us and then rest when we have the ball .

If we move the ball quicker after a failed counter against us then the opposition will think twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back