Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Some similar traits to Stephen May like size and a nice left foot kick, but I still think he will be closer to a Dawson. Gliding around half back and wing.

Those big long arms let him wear a tackle but still get a nice handball away.

Could be a handy player for when we get pinned in our back 50 too. Another big lad to win the ball in the air or bring it to ground.

No particular reason why they can't both play. Jones spent a lot of time in defence this week for example, could have Smith in that role instead.

Can’t see them losing Jones’ hardness at the contest and knowledge of patterns in favour of Curtin. The Curtin/Smith swap was pre-planned, I think they’re competing for the 1 spot.

Can’t see them losing Jones’ hardness at the contest and knowledge of patterns in favour of Curtin. The Curtin/Smith swap was pre-planned, I think they’re competing for the 1 spot.
Doesn't have to be Jones out necessarily, they could also drop Cook, which I think is a bit more likely.

With the current injury list the wing roles are largely being done by Sholl/Cook/Nankervis/Jones and the smaller rebounding defender roles are Nankervis/Jones/Hamill/Smith, and Curtin fits in that group as well. This week Jones mostly played back with no Hamill or Smith on the field, but he could move back up to the wing potentially.

I share your concern that Curtin being dropped is a risk but I think there are some appropriate moves they can make so there's still room for him even when Smith returns to the side.

Some similar traits to Stephen May like size and a nice left foot kick, but I still think he will be closer to a Dawson. Gliding around half back and wing.

Those big long arms let him wear a tackle but still get a nice handball away.

Could be a handy player for when we get pinned in our back 50 too. Another big lad to win the ball in the air or bring it to ground.
I'd like to see us give him a few games on the wing.
I think our backlines is pretty settled and Curtin makes it a bit unbalanced as we look too tall down there with him in there as well.
It'd be nice to see that left leg of his kicking inside 50

I think our backlines is pretty settled and Curtin makes it a bit unbalanced as we look too tall down there with him in there as well.

Whats wrong with being too tall. Max, Curtin and Hinge especially are absolutely elite at ground level balances out our big 3. Smith is cooked and fumbly I’d rather Curtin all day

Although he's tall he moves quite well for his size. I don't think we become too top heavy with him at the back.

I agree though, the prospect of him kicking into our forward half is exciting.

Has Nicks ever dropped someone the week after their debut? I can't remember any off the top of my head, so genuinely asking if someone knows. Maybe Soligo? But he looked way off the pace in his first game, went back and built confidence at SANFL level and then has played most games since returning that year. Curtin already built up that confidence in the SANFL before a debut, we know there is nothing to be gained there with his development.

I just don't feel like he is the type to only give these guys one week, especially guys we drafted with a high pick.

I think the most likely scenario is that Smith replaces Cook, not Curtin.

Has Nicks ever dropped someone the week after their debut? I can't remember any off the top of my head, so genuinely asking if someone knows. Maybe Soligo? But he looked way off the pace in his first game, went back and built confidence at SANFL level and then has played most games since returning that year. Curtin already built up that confidence in the SANFL before a debut, we know there is nothing to be gained there with his development.

I just don't feel like he is the type to only give these guys one week, especially guys we drafted with a high pick.

I think the most likely scenario is that Smith replaces Cook, not Curtin.
Worrell.

Was over a year before we saw him at AFL level again.

If the Swans can keep Luke Parker in the twos surely we can let Smith regain form and fitness there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worrell.

Was over a year before we saw him at AFL level again.
I assume it would have been for Doedee? At least he was actually in his prime, unlike Smith here. Also wasn't a top 10 pick, I feel like Nicks has given extended runs at AFL level to RT, Rachele and McAsey, who were all top 10 picks. I just don't think he is dropping Curtin after a Showdown win.

Experience lives in Nick’s head rent free. It’s his guilty pleasure he couldn’t wait to bring on Smith. We could’ve been 10 goals up and he still would’ve subbed Curtin.
And people would have still lied that it was for the defensive pressure needed

And people would have still lied that it was for the defensive pressure needed
Honestly, the nitpicking of Nicks is starting to becoming an overkill. Is he meant to coach to win games or to please fans on when to sub or who to sub?
Curtin looks promising for sure, but it wasn’t like he was blowing up fire to demand being kept on the field for a whole match. The other issue I can think of is that Curtin may have looked he ran out of tank and with Rozee doing his hammy, it’s not a bad idea to rest up a young player to minimise his injury risk, if playing for an entire first AFL game.

Honestly, the nitpicking of Nicks is starting to becoming an overkill. Is he meant to coach to win games or to please fans on when to sub or who to sub?
Why cant he do both ?

Do you know why most of us dont think Nicks is any good? Can you pinpoint the main reason? Probably not because you are another sugar hit supporter. Inject that win into my veins and lets slumber through to the next win

The reason we nitpick is because he - and by extension the coaching group - dont have a feel for the game or the future of the team.

There were so many things wrong just in making Smith the sub. It limits what you can do. Rachele gets injured we bring on Smith and what? Shuffle things around to accommodate? If you want impact after an injury then Smith is not the player anymore

If you are going to select Smith he needs to play a full game in the position that best fits his game. If you think he cant run a full game put then dont select him

Again I understand the thinking behind subbing Curtin at 3/4 time but did he need it? Five minutes on the bench is easily done - it happens in the game all the time. I reckon running that game out gives more benefit to Curtin than anything

So back to my answer - Nicks and co DO NOT think of the future. SANFL players are there for injury cover. We treat them as cattle . We stumble into good players. We really dont think of the future.

Whats wrong with being too tall. Max, Curtin and Hinge especially are absolutely elite at ground level balances out our big 3. Smith is cooked and fumbly I’d rather Curtin all day
Nothing wrong with a tall group overall but I do think you need one smaller player who can play on Rioli, Bobby Hill, Papley, Higgins types who are ground level threats

I'd like that to be Jones but the club doesn't seem to think of him in that role anymore

I think Max can do it but I love him vs the genuinely damaging dual threat players like Toby Greene, Isaac Heeney, Jake Stringer

I don't want to see Curtin dropped for the rest of the year. He IS a key pillar for our team going forward, has the skill and poise and now just needs exposure at AFL level to develop regardless of ups and downs. By the end of next season barring injury, he could be heading towards 40 played games and really starting to flourish.

I don't want to see Curtin dropped for the rest of the year. He IS a key pillar for our team going forward, has the skill and poise and now just needs exposure at AFL level to develop regardless of ups and downs. By the end of next season barring injury, he could be heading towards 40 played games and really starting to flourish.
Once they debut they shouldn’t be omitted unless they look completely out of their depth or show obvious signs of fatigue

Looks a player versatile enough to be used as needed, anywhere on the ground, in the first 22. Get as many games into him as possible in the AFL. His upside isn't anything we currently have on the list.

From first impressions, he was very much minding his player and playing conservatively. Playing outside and no sign of him going for marks or using his body. Clean and a lovely left foot. Unlike, say, a Michalanney who looked at the level from the get go, Curtin looks miles off, at the moment, what you'd expect him to become, but that is all the more reason to get games and confidence into him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back