Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dean Warren

Josh is ready to come back. He’s super excited to be back. He’s played two games in the reserves now and done extremely well. (He) obviously hasn’t played a lot of footy over the last 12 months, but Josh’ll be invaluable back in our side playing across half back. As we all know he’s an elite kick of the footy. Our kicking effectiveness hasn’t been that great in the last month or so, so Josh’ll add a significant amount to the team.

drummond11.jpg

If there aren't any injuries and the Lions are comfortably ahead I'll probably like to see Drummond subbed off so he pulls up alright for the game against Essendon.

Drummond undergoes knee surgery
4:55 PM Thu 19 May, 2011

The Brisbane Lions advises that defender Josh Drummond underwent surgery on Tuesday to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. Drummond experienced some discomfort in his knee following last Saturday night's match against Essendon with scans on Monday revealing cartilage damage. He is expected to miss between 4-6 weeks.

"The injury actually happened in the first contest of the game - within the first 30 seconds - but I was able to play out the game," Drummond said.

"Having gotten through the game, I knew I'd done some damage, but didn't think it would be anything that would require surgery. But on Monday it sort of blew up, so I went and had a scan."

drummondb.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too good a player not to persist with him. As long as he isn't on too much coin he stays.

Or maybe worthwhile seeing whether we could get any trade value out of him, considering we're a young side rebuilding?

I think he improves our side 100% when he's out there but out of seven seasons on our list, he's only played more than 14 games in a season once.

Hmm, is he just too injury prone to be worth persisting with?

And replace him with who? IIRC we are fully committed at this years draft anyhow. IMO - with our list - he is worth his wage as mentor/role model to our younger players. Any more than half a season out of him is a bonus, at this stage.

And replace him with who? IIRC we are fully committed at this years draft anyhow. IMO - with our list - he is worth his wage as mentor/role model to our younger players. Any more than half a season out of him is a bonus, at this stage.

As was mentioned previously, he's contracted to the end of 2012. After that expires, if he is still injury prone as he is now (i.e. if/when he gets back from this injury and he gets further injuries) then we can have him as a mentor... just not on the playing list. I just don't think it'd be worth having a guy who's 29 and had a career filled with injuries being kept on the list.

Brett Burton injury update

He's in modified training but possibly will be moving up to full training this week so he will possibly play either this week or next week. We'll make the decision after main training session.
Nathan Clarke

“Potentially both Rockliff and Drummond will be available this week, but I’m not sure whether they’ll go straight into the senior team or not.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back