Off-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Victorian rookies / PSD recruits be there?

There's pics of them training on RFC Facebook.

Poetry in motion...

381033_10150468182388276_298686323275_8596888_204555987_n.jpg

Had taken the kids down to training, was supprised on recuits size not the blow in the wind types. Rance was leading the running hole session looks good, just looking at Moore walking around was not good I dout he will play again?

Popped in to training today. They did full ground stoppage work where Lade would find a spot to make a stoppage and then it turned into a match until it went out of bounds or a goal, behind etc. Usual suspects did well. Foley looked good. Morris has a crack but his skills are a query. Nahas was breaking the lines as usual, is just quicker then everyone else.

Still think some of our forward entry structures need plenty of work on. Need players sucking in some of the defenders in the press to then get them to follow them, therefore creating space for our KPF's to lead into.

After this they did some long interval running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, I thought I'd share my experience at Punt Rd Oval today.

I arrived at Punt Rd Oval at around 8:30 this morning and I had to wait 30 minutes for the Tigerland Superstore to open. Whilst waiting, I walked around the car-park, hoping to see some players come through. To my surprise, the first person to walk out of the gym door was Danny Frawley, in some red training gear. After a few minutes, I see Ben Griffiths who is looking massive and Matt Dea, also bulked up, come through.

At around 9:15, after a very easy and pleasant transaction with one of the shop clerks, I walked back to my spot in the stands and to my luck, out come all of the players. After a few short, kamikaze like kicking and handball drills, the team split up into groups.

Group one, which I thought was the recovery group, Jackson, Tuck, Graham, Morris, Riewoldt, Moore, Astbury, Browne and Webberley did some very technical handballing drills the entire session. They went into a large circle and most had balls, and they just had to continually pass the ball of to another player, being cautious that the other player may have a ball or that they may be recieving another one.

The second group, who I thought was the KPD group did some one-on-one work. In the group was Rance, Grimes, Post, Helbig, Darrou, Vickery and Maric. In the drill, the backman would stand 10m directly behind the forward, and Leppa would kick it over the forward's head, to the backman. The forward had to run with the flight of the ball and make a contest. If the ball hit the ground, the two would have to contest the ball and kick it back to Leppa. Rance was highly proficient in this drill, in nearly every single contest, he out-muscled and beat is opponent. The one thing I noticed about Rance was that he is very hard on himself when he makes a mistake. In one contest, Post marked the ball, and Rance through a mini-tantrum, swearing and kicking at the ground. I must admit, I was pretty disappointed with Maric, he should have easily out-marked his defender in Grimes, he plucked a few but his contested marking seems a bit awkward.

The third group, was all of the smaller players, it was a tackling drill, where all of the players were in a cluster, and they were in pairs. The ball was given to Houli in the beginning and his partner had to tackle him, when Houli was on the ground, he had to roll it out to another group where the next player picked it up and was tackled immediately. This went on for around 10 minutes, until they went into a run-through. In this run-through, they went into a line, with one player constantly throwing the ball very hard at the player running through. If the player dropped it, they had to do push-ups, I thought it was pretty funny when Cotchin was the one throwing, and Batchelor dropped it. As Batchelor was doing push-ups, Cotchin threw the ball at Batchelor and wacked him on the head. I was particularly disgusted when I saw Cotchin and King have a mini scuffle, I saw them on the ground grappling each-other and then they stood up and began holding each other by the scruffs of their training tops. I hope for their sake, that they were only playing.

The last group which was just a mix of players, such as Derickx, Turner, Arnot, etc. They were furthest away so I could not really see what they were doing, but from what I could see, they were doing contested work, where the coach kicked the ball along the ground and the two players had to contest the ball and kick it back. Gibson Turner really impressed me when he outran Arnot, spun around him, then perfectly kicked the ball 45m onto the coaches chest.

Finally after they had all gone, Leppa remained on the field with Grimes, Post and Rance and they did a similar drill to the one before, but there was no gap and running with the flight, just a genuine 1-on-1 body work. Rance was clearly a class above the others. Post was losing confidence quickly, he was showing aggravation to the likes of Rance before. Grimes probably showed the least skill in defending, but he has an excellent overhead grab. He had the coolest head of the lot.

Oh, finally watch out for Batchelor in 2012, he looks to be in ripping form.

From the outside, I thought that the skills of the players were excellent. Their attitudes are a little rough around the edges though.

I may have missed this already, but any idea on what position the club thinks Heslin is best suited for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back