Central Highlands

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry tud34 that is a slight exageration, there were two. Matt Layfield and Clive Raak, but we did have some very handy players unavailable, so depth is very good at the moment.

Apologies mate,

I am just quoting what was said to me by the brother of one of the Hepburn 2nds player.

If the rumours about tranquillis pay structure at his new club are true $100x15 +200 thats a $1700 pay packet.no wonder he had a shot from the wing

CORRECTION

Daylesford 22.19 (151) v Clunes 10.6 (66)
As there were a couple of blow outs this round, what is everyones thoughts on this concept that Eddy Comelli put to the league but was rejected.
The draw is based on the previous seasons ladder placings. So the top four sides play each other twice, as do the bottom four sides from the previous year. This enables the bottom clubs a chance to kick start their season and get supporters to come and watch, more members, and maybe a recruit or two who could still be weighing up his options may jump on board if the club he is looking at starts the year well. i doubt if he would join a club after a 20 goal flogging.
It makes it a bit harder for the more powerful clubs in the league, and if a club happens to finish middle of the road, then there is a real incentive for that club to work hard over pre season, recruit well and get up near the top of the ladder. Ala Bunniyong, who would be a prime example this season and would only play the 2007 top four sides once, and the bottom 2007 sides once.
In this format round 1 would have looked like this
Dfd v Waub Hep v Dtown Lmth v Bunga Bunny v Ballan New v Clns Sprbk v Cres Beau v Gord.
Im sure this would have been a cracker of a round 1, and the ladder wouldn't even itself out until half way through the year. i think its a win win concept for all teams ... but is there a negative to this ? i cant find one, but would be interested to listen if any one has any thoughts.....

As there were a couple of blow outs this round, what is everyones thoughts on this concept that Eddy Comelli put to the league but was rejected.
The draw is based on the previous seasons ladder placings. So the top four sides play each other twice, as do the bottom four sides from the previous year. This enables the bottom clubs a chance to kick start their season and get supporters ....................

The draw is based on the previous seasons ladder placings. So the top four sides play each other twice, as do the bottom four sides from the previous year. This enables the bottom clubs a chance to kick start their season and get supporters to come and watch, more members, and maybe a recruit or two who could still be weighing up his options may jump on board if the club he is looking at starts the year well. i doubt if he would join a club after a 20 goal flogging.
It makes it a bit harder for the more powerful clubs in the league, and if a club happens to finish middle of the road, then there is a real incentive for that club to work hard over pre season, recruit well and get up near the top of the ladder. Ala Bunniyong, who would be a prime example this season and would only play the 2007 top four sides once, and the bottom 2007 sides once.
In this format round 1 would have looked like this
Dfd v Waub Hep v Dtown Lmth v Bunga Bunny v Ballan New v Clns Sprbk v Cres Beau v Gord.
Im sure this would have been a cracker of a round 1, and the ladder wouldn't even itself out until half way through the year. i think its a win win concept for all teams ... but is there a negative to this ? i cant find one, but would be interested to listen if any one has any thoughts.....

Concept does sound good. Something does have to be done to bridge the gap between the sides. If the league can not implement a salary cap then maybe this fixture concept could be a good way to start (obviously more would need to be done). Could there be issues with the home and away games tho? It might be difficult to structure so that teams rotate where they play each other each year (obviously this has no effect for the teams you play twice in a year). Just a thought. Maybe this is the reason the league knocked it on the head. Otherwise i see the concept working well for the league. :thumbsu:

Concept does sound good. Something does have to be done to bridge the gap between the sides. If the league can not implement a salary cap then maybe this fixture concept could be a good way to start (obviously more would need to be done). Could there be issues with the home and away games tho? It might be difficult to structure so that teams rotate where they play each other each year (obviously this has no effect for the teams you play twice in a year). Just a thought. Maybe this is the reason the league knocked it on the head. Otherwise i see the concept working well for the league. :thumbsu:

dont like it i think a points system that other leagues use wood be a better system its abit hard to explain but i think it wood work better its like a salary cap but easier to police because there is no cash just points.Learmonth is a fan of this concept he might be able to fill u in on the finer points i cant type 4 shit

dont like it i think a points system that other leagues use wood be a better system its abit hard to explain but i think it wood work better its like a salary cap but easier to police because there is no cash just points.Learmonth is a fan of this concept he might be able to fill u in on the finer points i cant type 4 shit

The points system is the only concept that will even up the competition and its been explained before. This other system will not work as country clubs vary from year to year and the draw operates over a three year period.

This is how it works-

5 points for an AFL player (Chris Grant) or player from within the league (CHFL- eg Salesi Uhi)) That help prevents clubs taking other players from sides within the league)
4 points- State League Player (VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc/Vic/SA Country representative etc from previous season. ie- 2007 season
3 points- Major League- These leagues have been classified and play in Worksafe cup- i.e Ballarat, Bendigo, Ovens & Murry, Geelong, Central Murry etc- Nick Willox Learmonth, Aaaron Bones Beaufort would be an example of this
2 points- Any minor league- Eg- Riddell, Maryborough Castlemaine, Lexton Plains etc- Last year Jake Pring would have come under this from Daylesford.
1 point- Junior player or player that has been at the club for 3 years.

At the end of each season a point is deducted from each player to reward loyality as an ex AFL player in 3 years time would only be worth 2 points.

This system prevents sides from going out and just buying a side recklessly and also ensures that players become more loyal. It has shown in other leagues that recruits stay longer.

All sides have different points and this would be evaluated from the last 3 years results with sides like hepburn, Waubra Daylesford etc having say 44 points per game while a side like gordon may start with around 50 points which enables them to try and even the playing field.

Thats roughly how it operates... HAve seen sides have to play with 1 interchange player due to not being able to fit under the points system. It can be policed easily as all players are ranked at the start of the season and it can be notified on team sheet before game and the CHFL administrtors would just go over it. Clubs could even monitor it, if the league handed out what all players are worth.

Comments

Over and out

what round is chris grant playing

Tips for round 2

Creswick vs Newlyn - Newlyn should be just to good for creswick
Hepburn vs Ballan - first loss of the year for ballan
Buninyong vs Gordan - Tranquilli to dominate again
Beaufort vs Daylesford - will be a good win out a beaufort
Clunes vs Dunnstown - will be very keen to humiliate clunes after last weeks loss
Waubra vs Springbank - simply too good
Bungaree vs Learmonth - Home ground advantage. Could be anyones game.

Match of the Round
Bungaree vs Learmonth - both got very good close wins in round 1.

The points system is the only concept that will even up the competition and its been explained before. This other system will not work as country clubs vary from year to year and the draw operates over a three year period.

This is how it works-

5 points for an AFL player (Chris Grant) or player from within the league (CHFL- eg Salesi Uhi)) That help prevents clubs taking other players from sides within the league)
4 points- State League Player (VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc/Vic/SA Country representative etc from previous season. ie- 2007 season
3 points- Major League- These leagues have been classified and play in Worksafe cup- i.e Ballarat, Bendigo, Ovens & Murry, Geelong, Central Murry etc- Nick Willox Learmonth, Aaaron Bones Beaufort would be an example of this
2 points- Any minor league- Eg- Riddell, Maryborough Castlemaine, Lexton Plains etc- Last year Jake Pring would have come under this from Daylesford.

At the end of each season a point is deducted from each player to reward loyality as an ex AFL player in 3 years time would only be worth 2 points.

This system prevents sides from going out and just buying a side recklessly and also ensures that players become more loyal. It has shown in other leagues that recruits stay longer.

All sides have different points and this would be evaluated from the last 3 years results with sides like hepburn, Waubra Daylesford etc having say 44 points per game while a side like gordon may start with around 50 points which enables them to try and even the playing field.

Thats roughly how it operates... HAve seen sides have to play with 1 interchange player due to not being able to fit under the points system. It can be policed easily as all players are ranked at the start of the season and it can be notified on team sheet before game and the CHFL administrtors would just go over it. Clubs could even monitor it, if the league handed out what all players are worth.

Comments

Over and out

Learmonth in our league CMFL a player transferring within the league is now worth 7 points, more than an AFL player to try and stop clubs poaching guns from struggling sides to the best teams as it only makes the struggling sides worse when their best 2-3 players leave.
It has been in place in our league for 2 years now and is struggling to even the competition out but it may do over time.
heard Nick Willox kicked the winning 2 goals for you blokes on the weekend?

This is how it works-

Comments

Over and out

In some ways I hate what money is doing to country footy but in other ways it can show which clubs have the strongest and hardest working committees. If you can raise it on a yearly basis, then by all means spend it.

The above system is no good in my opinion. It inhibits the league from strengthening. Fringe Major league players/ 2's players have been great recruits in minor leagues and now they would be worth 3 points. Surely it is better for the league to promote people coming into it rather than penalise a team for being proactive and recruiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Creswick vs Newlyn
Hepburn vs Ballan
Buninyong vs Gordan
Beaufort vs Daylesford
Clunes vs Dunnstown
Waubra vs Springbank
Bungaree vs Learmonth

No real tough choices here apart from Bungaree v Learmonth, should be tight fought match this one

Learmonth in our league CMFL a player transferring within the league is now worth 7 points, more than an AFL player to try and stop clubs poaching guns from struggling sides to the best teams as it only makes the struggling sides worse when their best 2-3 players leave.
It has been in place in our league for 2 years now and is struggling to even the competition out but it may do over time.
heard Nick Willox kicked the winning 2 goals for you blokes on the weekend?

What are the main issues your league faces using the points system?

IMO both approaches could work for our league but have their limitations.

The altered fixture would create more excitement for all clubs during the 1st 4 rounds especially with every club having the opportunity to get a win (or loss) on the board early on. Would clubs start tanking tho if you if they werent going to make finals to ensure a better draw for next season??

The points system would take care of the money inequalities with regards to player payments but could it be an issue in itself to get it going in the 1st place? (for example would certain clubs have to tell blokes to leave to play elsewhere because the club will be over its allocated points?)

In some ways I hate what money is doing to country footy but in other ways it can show which clubs have the strongest and hardest working committees. If you can raise it on a yearly basis, then by all means spend it.

The above system is no good in my opinion. It inhibits the league from strengthening. Fringe Major league players/ 2's players have been great recruits in minor leagues and now they would be worth 3 points. Surely it is better for the league to promote people coming into it rather than penalise a team for being proactive and recruiting.
Totally agree. Not sure what the point limit is but for example Hepburn's senior side last week totals 35 under the points format. And i agree with the fringe players from the major leagues being able to drop back a league without that side being penalised.... in 2004 we had a recruit who is a great example of this, he was struggling to get a game for Darley, playing average football in the two's, not enjoying it and was contemplating giving the game away, all at the age of 20. Now he is one of the CHFL's best players all because he took a punt, gained his self belief , gained his confidence and has never looked back. His name.....Sam Newton. and last year most BFL clubs were knocking down his door to get his services. We had some star players playing in that year from major leagues, and possibly Sam may have missed out under the points system if we were going to exceed it, and with Sam losing interest, this could have been a big loss to country football. Just one example and i'm sure there are plenty more out there.
As i said i'm interested to hear thoughts on this topic to make the CHFL stronger, but i just think scrap the 3 year rotating fixture. Make the top four sides from the previous year play each other twice and the same with the bottom four sides. Learmonth i'd be interested what your side's points added up to last week for example.
Just imagine, this week round 2, everyone has come off hard games, and you have to back up again for a red hot contest, then again next week, then again the week after. Crowds flock to see great contests, and players love playing in them. Ask Gordon how they feel, improved immensley, but have Hepburn, Bunniyong and Waubra in the first three rounds. All their good work over summer could be washed down the drain. I don't know the right solution, but if we dont find one, i'd hate to see our league have clubs fold because year in year out, it finally all gets to hard to compete.

Totally agree. Not sure what the point limit is but for example Hepburn's senior side last week totals 35 under the points format. And i agree with the fringe players from the major leagues being able to drop back a league without that side being penalised.... in 2004 we had a recruit who is a great example of this, he was struggling to get a game for Darley, playing average football in the two's, not enjoying it and was contemplating giving the game away, all at the age of 20. Now he is one of the CHFL's best players all because he took a punt, gained his self belief , gained his confidence and has never looked back. His name.....Sam Newton. and last year most BFL clubs were knocking down his door to get his services. We had some star players playing in that year from major leagues, and possibly Sam may have missed out under the points system if we were going to exceed it, and with Sam losing interest, this could have been a big loss to country football. Just one example and i'm sure there are plenty more out there.
As i said i'm interested to hear thoughts on this topic to make the CHFL stronger, but i just think scrap the 3 year rotating fixture. Make the top four sides from the previous year play each other twice and the same with the bottom four sides. Learmonth i'd be interested what your side's points added up to last week for example.
Just imagine, this week round 2, everyone has come off hard games, and you have to back up again for a red hot contest, then again next week, then again the week after. Crowds flock to see great contests, and players love playing in them. Ask Gordon how they feel, improved immensley, but have Hepburn, Bunniyong and Waubra in the first three rounds. All their good work over summer could be washed down the drain. I don't know the right solution, but if we dont find one, i'd hate to see our league have clubs fold because year in year out, it finally all gets to hard to compete.

Noble sentiment Timmy, but it didn't stop your club offering $1000 a game to Florance from Springbank and then Uhi from Ballan. You might be genuinely concerned but I don't think many others at Hepburn would be too worried about clubs folding as long they got to pick the guts out of the carcass.

Noble sentiment Timmy, but it didn't stop your club offering $1000 a game to Florance from Springbank and then Uhi from Ballan. You might be genuinely concerned but I don't think many others at Hepburn would be too worried about clubs folding as long they got to pick the guts out of the carcass.
so your back on that old chestnut again merrigan, let it go because you have no idea. Or ask Florence yourself, and he will tell you that Hepburn have never ever spoken to him. Ask Salesi and get the real facts... Your sources are way off the mark mate...So instead of bagging whatever comes up on this site, whats your thoughts on the proposal? or do you have something better to add and maybe even out the league.
You actually dont know Hepburn at all do you.

so your back on that old chestnut again merrigan, let it go because you have no idea. Or ask Florence yourself, and he will tell you that Hepburn have never ever spoken to him. Ask Salesi and get the real facts... Your sources are way off the mark mate...So instead of bagging whatever comes up on this site, whats your thoughts on the proposal? or do you have something better to add and maybe even out the league.

Timmy,
Are you certain that he is wrong about Florance???
A mate that is close to Dave told me that a week after the season Hepburn offered Florance $1200 a game with the first 5 match payments to be paid as a lump cash sum before Christmas......

Footballers have to be renumerated for their services when they can make good money working on Saturdays instead of risking injuries at football. Having said that the problem has come from clubs paying excessive amounts to these players. In all honesty people from outside the CHFL shake their heads at the money on offer to players. To offer amounts of $700 - $1200 per game on one player is ridiculous even if the team does have the money to spend. If clubs didn't give players such large amounts their would be no problem with recruiting from within a league or from an outside league. Unfortunately the problem is here and a solution is needed and perhaps the point system could work with some fine tuning.

To say that being able to spend money on players shows who has the strongest and hardest working committees however is wrong. Stongest maybe but not hardest working. It's simply not an even playing field for all clubs. Now i'm not saying that the bigger spending clubs don't have extremely hard working committees, they obviously do, but facts are most have a larger base at the club to share the workload and a larger base to generate money through the local community, supporters and businesses unlike smaller clubs like Gordon, Springbank etc.

Yep I like that chestnut. I know Hepburn well enough. I won't ask Florence because I don't know him, but Andrew Tranquilli does and he reckons that Florence was offered that. Nor will I ask Salesi because I don't know him either, but what I have said about his Hepburn deal has been backed up by others on here. I think you might just be in denial Timmy when it comes to Hepburn player payments so I'll move on for now.

On the proposals for evening up the league, I don't like the tampering with the draw one. There are already enough inequities in it now and the changes would only make it worse I reckon. A club can have a vastly different side from 1 year to the next, you only have to look back on the ladders from past years. Newlyn finished on top in 03 & dropped to 11th in 04, Clunes 2nd in 05 to 11th the following year, Beaufort 3rd in 03 & 04 to last with 1 win in 05 just to name a few, so it could make a bad year even worse in a lot of cases.

I don't mind the points system. I remember reading somewhere that a playing coach gets allocated 0 points so that is 1 way of fitting in say a VFL player if a club was close to their points limit. Just to use Hepburn as an example, they wanted to fit Salesi Uhi in but as he was coming from a club within the same league he carried 7 pts, which put them over the limit. So to get around that they appoint him coach, no more pts! Robbo appointed assistant and still does what he's doing now, Uhi coach by title only. Far fetched but possible.

If that system was to start I wonder how the initial points allocation would work. Do all current players start with 1 point and recruits get points depending on where they are coming from, or does the entire list get points as per the table in Learmonths post.

For it to work all leagues would have to adopt it, in other words it would have to be a VCFL initiative, in other words it won't happen.

Seeing that we are mates Timmy, can you do me a favour? Ask Brendan Sheapard how old he is. Don't make it up or guess either.

Yep I like that chestnut. I know Hepburn well enough. I won't ask Florence because I don't know him, but Andrew Tranquilli does and he reckons that Florence was offered that. Nor will I ask Salesi because I don't know him either, but what I have said about his Hepburn deal has been backed up by others on here. I think you might just be in denial Timmy when it comes to Hepburn player payments so I'll move on for now.

On the proposals for evening up the league, I don't like the tampering with the draw one. There are already enough inequities in it now and the changes would only make it worse I reckon. A club can have a vastly different side from 1 year to the next, you only have to look back on the ladders from past years. Newlyn finished on top in 03 & dropped to 11th in 04, Clunes 2nd in 05 to 11th the following year, Beaufort 3rd in 03 & 04 to last with 1 win in 05 just to name a few, so it could make a bad year even worse in a lot of cases.

I don't mind the points system. I remember reading somewhere that a playing coach gets allocated 0 points so that is 1 way of fitting in say a VFL player if a club was close to their points limit. Just to use Hepburn as an example, they wanted to fit Salesi Uhi in but as he was coming from a club within the same league he carried 7 pts, which put them over the limit. So to get around that they appoint him coach, no more pts! Robbo appointed assistant and still does what he's doing now, Uhi coach by title only. Far fetched but possible.

If that system was to start I wonder how the initial points allocation would work. Do all current players start with 1 point and recruits get points depending on where they are coming from, or does the entire list get points as per the table in Learmonths post.

For it to work all leagues would have to adopt it, in other words it would have to be a VCFL initiative, in other words it won't happen.

Seeing that we are mates Timmy, can you do me a favour? Ask Brendan Sheapard how old he is. Don't make it up or guess either.

dunno how old he is but he is a big fat bald cu'nt.....

Timmy,
Are you certain that he is wrong about Florance???
A mate that is close to Dave told me that a week after the season Hepburn offered Florance $1200 a game with the first 5 match payments to be paid as a lump cash sum before Christmas......
i am certain, ill put my house on it. An inquiry was made through Andrew Tranquilli when he left Springbank, but their was no reply, apparently Florence's work committments stopped him from traveling up the highway to play at Springbank, so it would have made it near impossible to travel further to Hepburn. At no stage was any $$ mentioned.
Players like to big note themselves at times, im not saying Florence does, but i can tell you that a certain 100 kicker from the MCDFL who returned to the LPFL last year is telling people that he was handed a huge wad of cash by a Hepburn committeeman as an incentive to sign during their first meeting. As i said some people like to big note themselves. Once again i'll put my house on it, it never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back