Mic Conlan/Spitting/Vic Park Story

Remove this Banner Ad

thanks for posting Tim. Read the article this morning with a smile on my face and was thinking of adding the link here myself. Great stuff. All hail Sir Dickins. Nice cartoon too.

Here's another spitting story, this one from Clen Denning who played in the 1944 premiership team. Clen's now 93 years old. He told this story at the April Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society gathering. The interviewer is Arthur Wilson. (I had permission to tape the interview - these are Clen's exact words!).

AW: Now spitting, we’ve heard a bit about spitting in the last few weeks. You had somebody spit on you one day. Is that right?

CD: That’s right. We were playing at Punt Road one day and I was going up the race and this fellow went and spat at me. It was a huge spit, I copped the lot right down my face. I said, “You rotten mongrel” and I said to the chap on the gate, “Open the gate will ya?!” and he said, “Nah, I’m not allowed” so I said, “Get lost” and I jumped the gate and ran up to this bloke and punched him in the nose and then gave him an uppercut. So there he was lying on the ground and a fellow came up to break it up and he said, “Why’d ya hit him for?” and I said, “I'd smack you in the face too if you spat in my face.” “Oh…” he said, “…did he?” So then he started kicking him. (Crowd laughs uproariously).

I went back up the race and into the rooms. Later there was a bit of a fuss about the player who’d jumped the fence and belted this bloke. But no one said who it was.

:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back