Most hated book character ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez she was well written wasn't she?

Even had me fired up by the end of Order of the Phoenix, I was hoping the Centaurs would eat her.

Imelda Staunton is playing Dolores Umbridge in Order of the Phoenix movie.

250px-Dolores_Umbridge.jpg

I was hoping she'd look more toad like.

Dolores Umbridge. And in the movie adaptations pretty much every character cause the movies are just so poorly made and the characters just come accross as lame. Love them in the books though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You beat me to it. :thumbsu:
Cathy in John Steinbeck's East of Eden.
Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

How can you hate Patrick Bateman! Pity him, laugh at him, don't hate him.

For mine I dislike Benjamin the Mule (Animal Farm). I am furious everytime I put that novel down, not because I hate the pigs (which I do), but because the animals can't see it all happening. Yet Benjamin has the inteliigence and knows what's going on but chooses to say nothing until Boxer is half-way out the gate to the glue factory.

Too little to late Benji-boy. Bloody ignoramus.

Im going out on a limb and saying no one on this thread has read this book Nineteen eighty-four by george Orwell (is a very good read).

But my most hated charcters are ftom this book one is Big Brother (head bad guy read the book it'll make sense), the other is O'Brien the face of the party i really hated this guy. and also the main character Winston you begin to hate him for losing his ideals maybe not so much hate but definetly feel sorry for him

But most hated Big brother and O'brien.

Im going out on a limb and saying no one on this thread has read this book Nineteen eighty-four by george Orwell (is a very good read).

But my most hated charcters are ftom this book one is Big Brother (head bad guy read the book it'll make sense), the other is O'Brien the face of the party i really hated this guy. and also the main character Winston you begin to hate him for losing his ideals maybe not so much hate but definetly feel sorry for him

But most hated Big brother and O'brien.

I love this book . . . Orwell was certainly ahead of his time. Big Brother and The Party definitely do inspire outrage but even then you can't quite bring yourself to hate them. It is the nature of the beast and it is reflected on every level of society.

I deeply sympathise with Winston in his awakening and his final downfall is so demoralising and depressing. O'Brien by the same standards is also a tragic kind of figure in that he is in a position to actually change things however he is so completely brainwashed by The Party that we know that this will never happen.

It is the Proles who most anger me - maybe because it is so close to society today. The Proles outnumber Party members by a huge margin, if they were to ever turn against Big Brother they could destroy The Party. However, they are too ignorant of the way of things, the constant barrage of Party Propoganda, disease, a perpetual war, lack of basic goods, services, medical needs and poor education has left them with little time or resources to examine the loss of their rights, or even organise themselves into anything resembling an alternative governing body. They simply look forward to getting drunk in their (rare) spare time and watching their ultra violent, mind-numbing entertainment programs. Hence change will never come to Oceania.

I love this book . . . Orwell was certainly ahead of his time. Big Brother and The Party definitely do inspire outrage but even then you can't quite bring yourself to hate them. It is the nature of the beast and it is reflected on every level of society.

I deeply sympathise with Winston in his awakening and his final downfall is so demoralising and depressing. O'Brien by the same standards is also a tragic kind of figure in that he is in a position to actually change things however he is so completely brainwashed by The Party that we know that this will never happen.

It is the Proles who most anger me - maybe because it is so close to society today. The Proles outnumber Party members by a huge margin, if they were to ever turn against Big Brother they could destroy The Party. However, they are too ignorant of the way of things, the constant barrage of Party Propoganda, disease, a perpetual war, lack of basic goods, services, medical needs and poor education has left them with little time or resources to examine the loss of their rights, or even organise themselves into anything resembling an alternative governing body. They simply look forward to getting drunk in their (rare) spare time and watching their ultra violent, mind-numbing entertainment programs. Hence change will never come to Oceania.

The proles know no better they were the ones that got sympathy from me,

winston angered me as he says through out the book he wont forget his view and he does,

O'Brien disgusts me in the way he nows he is doing wrong, and that the party is essentially evil but doesn't care, as he is aloud to do what he likes.

Yes orwell was definetly ahead of his time.

to the above 2 posters if you like 1984 have you read Brave New World - Aldous Huxley?

on topic - Sam Cayhall from The Chamber - worse was casting Gene Hackman to play him in the movie, couldn't hate him quite as much

to the above 2 posters if you like 1984 have you read Brave New World - Aldous Huxley?

on topic - Sam Cayhall from The Chamber - worse was casting Gene Hackman to play him in the movie, couldn't hate him quite as much

Never get the time but yes is on my must read list, maybe on the plan back after my holiday, but yes is definetly something i want to read.

How can you hate Patrick Bateman! Pity him, laugh at him, don't hate him.

Yeah my late father's honours thesis was on American Psycho, and from what I can make out, he would say exactly the same as you. To be honest I was just trying to sound semi~well read mentioning Patrick Bateman. But unfortunately I was flicking through my Dad's honours thesis once and I came across a review he quoted (but didn't agree with); it listed every page number where there's a lengthy description of Patrick torturing and killing someone. The reviewer wrote, "If you read these pages alone I guarantee you won't want to read any more about this boring, revolting, disgusting and hideously violent and unsympathetic protagonist." (Or something like that.) Unfortunately, I did as the reviewer suggested. And got sucked in. I couldn't read any more. So I'm admittedly speaking out of ignorance, re Patrick.

The movie was something else though. I was so scared of watching it, in case they left those horrible bits from the book in. But was pleasantly, wimpishly relieved to find they hadn't. And yes, I did pity and laugh at his character in the movie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back