Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
Mathew_Stokes_small.jpg

Mathew Stokes

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 27
Height: 178 cm
Weight: 80 kg
DOB: 22 November 1984
Recruited From: Woodville-West Torrens (SA)

Re: No. 27 Matthew Stokes

-Represented Australia in the 2001 U17 International Rules series.
-Drafted at pick 61 in the 2005 national draft (a steal).
-Played 9 games in 2006 kicking 9 goals and finishing 18th in the B&F.

Announced himself to the AFL world when he kicked two goals in the final quarter against Port Adelaide last year, to win us the game in an inspirational performance. So far this year he has played as a small forward kicking 7 goals in 6 games.

Deadfish - why the meercats?
If you'd posted the big one that used to be on the Geelong Road at Werribee Zoo, I'd understand - it showed one laughing - really eye-catching!

Is/was stokes job to look after them at Werribee zoo i believe.
Nah, isn't he a reptile keeper at the main zoo? I thought that picture got posted purely because from the right angle one may detect a resemblance.

Played well today I thought, drifted down back a few times but didn't do much up forward

16 disposals against the swans...was a hard game for him I thought the Swans players really tried to rough him up at times but he has a big heart though

Mark me down as a convert [ have been for a few weeks actually ] a while back would have classed him as one of a number of players battling for the last two or three spots in the side, clearly elevated to a walk up starter now, just keeps getting better and better, yesterdays game was a belter.

:thumbsu: for the "Sphinx." [ Does he ever crack it for a smile? ]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: No. 27 Mathew Stokes

Probably playing 50/50 in the midfield/forwardline this year. I predict huge numbers in Dreamteam. :thumbsu:
Seriously though he is one of my Fav's. He is such a talented player.

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

I'll jump in to give Matty Stokes a crack, apologies if I have stepped on any toes or jumped any queues ...

Mathew Stokes

The story so far :

After carving out a comfortable niche for himself as an often-overlooked, yet highly effective small forward in his first couple of years in the AFL, Mathew Stokes hit some speed bumps along what had been a cruise-y AFL career path.

The highs of 2007, in which he had established himself as a must-pick player for the Cats and had made a significant contribution in the Grand Final cakewalk, were tempered in 2008 when he took his place in the Grand Final team half-fit, and was carved up by that years Norm Smith Medallist Luke Hodge.

Stokes regained fitness and seemingly overcame any psychological aftershocks from his nightmare ’08 Grand Final to once again provide a reliable avenue to goal in ’09, only to once again succumb to injury at the most inopportune time, in the heat of the AFL finals.
With lessons learned from the 2008 debacle, Stokes was selfless enough to disclose his injury, and solemnly watched on as his team mates made amends for the previous years lost opportunity.

The 2010 season could not have begun with any more controversy and ignominy for Stokes as he was sensationally charged with trafficking cocaine on the cusp of the AFL 2010 season, after falling victim to a police phone-tap – the charges were later downgraded to possession of an illegal substance and he was placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond.
Forced to sit out the opening 7 games of 2010 after sanctions from Geelong’s leadership group were handed down, Stokes was told to get a day job and to re-assess the import of football in his life.

Despite the documented set-backs, Stokes has proven to be a remarkably consistent small forward during his time at Geelong, one of the many largely unsung heroes of the teams sustained run of excellence.

2011 :

Mathew Stokes had a very solid season in 2011, yet as has often been the case throughout his career, the plaudits rarely came his way.

Statistically, he averaged a career-high 20 disposals per game, and maintained his always-consistent goal-kicking rate; kicking 29 goals and 16 behinds (he has always been one of our more reliable shots on goal too ..).

In round 7 against North Melbourne he managed a 30-disposal, 3-goal game (only the 2nd time in his career that he had cracked the 30 touches mark).
Just as pleasingly, Stokes smashed his previous best season tackle count this year with 70, comfortably beating his effort of 58 tackles in 2007, which illustrated his willingness to commit to Chris Scott’s version of ‘the press’.

After experiencing the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in his life as an AFL footballer, Mathew Stokes reached a place of greater maturity in 2011. I personally really enjoyed seeing him revving up Trav Varcoe after Varcoe’s game-sealing goal in the Grand Final; I would love to know just what was said (my lip-reading skills aren’t great, although Stevie Johnson’s are quite easy to decipher) but Stokes seemed to be giving Varcoe the credit he deserved for his bravery in running with the flight of the ball and remarkable gut-running.

He seemed to enjoy playing with his ‘band of brothers’ in Varcoe and Christensen, and as the senior member of that group-within-a-group he often appeared to dish out encouragement and advice.
Stokes kicked 1 goal in each of Geelong’s finals games.

Unfortunately his Grand Final performance was somewhat marred by uncharacteristic wastefulness in front of goal, kicking 1.2 with at least one more shot going out on-the-full.
However he looked sharp and threatening all day.

In my eyes he had a number of Grand Final highlights; his critical finish to his team mates hard-work helped to keep Geelong in the game during the 2nd quarter. Stokes also twice managed to compete aerially against taller opponents and neutralize the contest, both occasions were important contests that he could easily have lost, but he contrived to get the ball to the deck and hold it up instead of allowing an opposition mark and rebound.

In this current era he joins Tom Harley, Cam Mooney, Darren Milburn, Josh Hunt, Harry Taylor, Max Rooke, Tom Hawkins, Shannon Byrnes, Trav Varcoe and Gary Ablett as a two-time Premiership player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back