Bigfooty face off- round 16 essendon v collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2007
Traralgon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gippsland Power
Hope the doggies supporters dont mind but because of the suport for the idea why dont we start this for ourselves for the rest of the year. Starting this round. should be a cracker but the pies look the goods in 07. However essendon has a good sense of occation and nearly every essendon v collingwood match essendon find something that no one new they had. heres the teams.

B: Nash, Michael, Slattery
HB: Fletcher, Welsh, McPhee
C: Ramanauskas, McVeigh, Peverill
HF: Hislop, Lloyd, M.Johnson
F: Lucas, Lovett, Hille
R: Ryder, Watson, Stanton
INT: Dyson, Laycock, Monfries, Lovett-Murray
EMG: J.Johnson, Bolton, Bradley

IN:McVeigh. Fletcher
OUT: J Johnson, Camporeale

COLLINGWOOD
B: Ben Johnson, Shane Wakelin, Harry O’Brien
HB: Heath Shaw, Tyson Goldsack, Nick Maxwell
C: Martin Clarke, Scott Burns, Paul Licuria
HF: Dale Thomas, Travis Cloke, Leon Davis
F: Alan Didak, Anthony Rocca, Tarkyn Lockyer
FOLL: Josh Fraser, Shane O’Bree, Dane Swan
I/C: Guy Richards, Ryan Lonie, Scott Pendlebury, Simon Prestigiacomo
EMG: Brad Dick, Shannon Cox, Sam Iles

In: Lonie, Richards, Prestigiacomo
Out: Paul Medhurst, Iles, Chris Bryan

Im tipping essendon in an upset by 15 points. but if the pies get up, it wont surprise me. Feel free to add your previews.
:thumbsu:

Seeing as this is a face-off thread, I'm assuming you want opposition supporters to post thoughts, so...

In a nutshell this will be won in the middle. Both sides are pretty strong at both ends of the ground. The win will depend on who gets the quality ball through the centre. Although we're not overendowed with silk through the middle, Burns, Lockyer, and Swan are all having ripping years. The clearance work of Burns has been brilliant at times this year, and he's been ably supported by Swan and O'Bree in this respect. Lockyer has been a running machine this year. He gets surprisingly little attention from opposition coaches given his form, but he is capable of hurting because he's reasonably smart and has good footskills. The only one of these four with any pace is Swan (he looks unathletic, but actually covers the ground pretty well), so I'm sure Johnson, Thomas, and perhaps Davis will all get a run on the wings and perhaps rotate through the square to give us some zip.

In our forward line, Michael will have to get Rocca, which seems a reasonable matchup. Cloke will get McPhee or Ryder, as they're the two most capable of running with him (for a big unit Trav covers a lot of ground). Our small forwards have been a bit patchy of late, but I think this might be an area we really trouble you in. Davis, Thomas, and Didak are capable of kicking a lot of goals quickly. I'm not sure how you go for small defenders, but they'd wanna be on their toes.

In the ruck, Fraser's form has been difficult to pick this year. Nevertheless, despite urban legends to the contrary, Fraser usually plays well against Essendon. When he plays well, he gets on his bike and practically gives us an extra midfielder around the ground. Ruck will be an interesting match up. Fraser and all three Essendon ruck options are capable of kicking goals. So I expect your rucks to push forward and try to put the onus on Fraser to go with them.

Interesting that we've picked both Wakelin and Prestigiacomo. That says to me that we're a bit worried about Sheedy playing one of your rucks forward in addition to Lloyd (who often troubles us) and Lucas. Davey being out will be a weight off our mind because, like most sides, we're vulnerable to extreme pace. Matchups are difficult to pick. I'd say Presti to Lloyd, Wakes to the resting ruckman, O'Brien to Lucas. That would leave Maxwell to push forward and play as a workhorse half-forward (a waste of time IMO, but MM likes this tactic). Goldsack might get Lovett, as Goldie is pretty pacey. Goes without saying that we won't allow Shaw to get dragged too far back.

The best way of nullifying your forward line is simply by winning in the middle of the park. Our pressure and workrate have been first class this year. From what I've seen, the Bombers aren't good users of the footy. So if we can get first use and really apply pressure when we haven't got the ball then we'll give our defenders every chance of negating Lucas, Lloyd and Laycock. Conversely, if your ruckmen can dominate and Watson can wreak some havoc at the clearances, then we'll battle to keep you to a losing score.

Prediction: Pies by 19.

Looking forward to seeing Laycock and Hille stepping up and play consistent football for 4 quarters. I reckon the ruck is a weak point that the pies do have, hopefully these two can exploit it.

Hille is due for a big game. Thought the WCE game was going to be the turning point for him, just hasn't happened. :mad:

On paper Michael, Ryder and The Dustbin have Fraser, Cloke and Rocca covered. Despite Mal's ups and downs this season I still feel a whole lot more relaxed when the ball is bombed down there. Not so much when his opponent is on the lead, Rocca only leads once and is usually exhausted. Comes off for a rest. Mal should handle Rocca. Timmy, McVeigh, Henry should handle the smalls.

Could come down to the midfield. Peverill!!:mad:

Lloyd and Lucas everyone knows about them. :thumbsu:

Dons by 20points

Go Dons

Seeing as this is a face-off thread, I'm assuming you want opposition supporters to post thoughts, so...

In a nutshell this will be won in the middle. Both sides are pretty strong at both ends of the ground. The win will depend on who gets the quality ball through the centre. Although we're not overendowed with silk through the middle, Burns, Lockyer, and Swan are all having ripping years. The clearance work of Burns has been brilliant at times this year, and he's been ably supported by Swan and O'Bree in this respect. Lockyer has been a running machine this year. He gets surprisingly little attention from opposition coaches given his form, but he is capable of hurting because he's reasonably smart and has good footskills. The only one of these four with any pace is Swan (he looks unathletic, but actually covers the ground pretty well), so I'm sure Johnson, Thomas, and perhaps Davis will all get a run on the wings and perhaps rotate through the square to give us some zip.

In our forward line, Michael will have to get Rocca, which seems a reasonable matchup. Cloke will get McPhee or Ryder, as they're the two most capable of running with him (for a big unit Trav covers a lot of ground). Our small forwards have been a bit patchy of late, but I think this might be an area we really trouble you in. Davis, Thomas, and Didak are capable of kicking a lot of goals quickly. I'm not sure how you go for small defenders, but they'd wanna be on their toes.

In the ruck, Fraser's form has been difficult to pick this year. Nevertheless, despite urban legends to the contrary, Fraser usually plays well against Essendon. When he plays well, he gets on his bike and practically gives us an extra midfielder around the ground. Ruck will be an interesting match up. Fraser and all three Essendon ruck options are capable of kicking goals. So I expect your rucks to push forward and try to put the onus on Fraser to go with them.

Interesting that we've picked both Wakelin and Prestigiacomo. That says to me that we're a bit worried about Sheedy playing one of your rucks forward in addition to Lloyd (who often troubles us) and Lucas. Davey being out will be a weight off our mind because, like most sides, we're vulnerable to extreme pace. Matchups are difficult to pick. I'd say Presti to Lloyd, Wakes to the resting ruckman, O'Brien to Lucas. That would leave Maxwell to push forward and play as a workhorse half-forward (a waste of time IMO, but MM likes this tactic). Goldsack might get Lovett, as Goldie is pretty pacey. Goes without saying that we won't allow Shaw to get dragged too far back.

The best way of nullifying your forward line is simply by winning in the middle of the park. Our pressure and workrate have been first class this year. From what I've seen, the Bombers aren't good users of the footy. So if we can get first use and really apply pressure when we haven't got the ball then we'll give our defenders every chance of negating Lucas, Lloyd and Laycock. Conversely, if your ruckmen can dominate and Watson can wreak some havoc at the clearances, then we'll battle to keep you to a losing score.

Prediction: Pies by 19.

I agree with pretty much everything here but think the margin will be closer to 30 pts. I also think Pendles will have some input in the middle, suprised you haven't given him a mention.

Rocca will be fired up for this game and we will be expecting a big one from him. Even if he doesn't have a big game, he will be there contested every situation (still #1 in contested marks in the AFL) and applying defensive pressure which wasn't there last week but he is very underrated in this area.

Speaking of defensive pressure Davis is equal #1 for tackles inside the forward 50 this year, so don't underrate this side of his game, he is a much improved player.

It will be very important for us to get off to a good start especially our forwards. Whoever is on Fletcher (I'm expecting it to be Rocca, at least that's what Essendon should do if they watched Scarlett last week) needs to get a couple of early marks inside 50 to keep him accountable.

Dons have to keep up the intensity in the last half. The last 2 ANZAC games have been lost whern the Dons played well in the first half and then fell away. The 2nd round last year Magpies played utter crap for some reason, and was when they suffered their not so 'mini' slump, so hard to judge on form. Will state the obvious as no one else has yet; you will miss Hird, but.... in a way may be a blessing, much as Bucks being gone from our midfield has with others grabbing the bull by the horns. I must admit a grudging respect for Essendon in games like this, where both teams have key players out they always seem to step up. Are a lot closer on the ladder than corresponding game last year. IMO Collingwood are a more consistent side this year, have demonstarted this through ability to perform with a somewhat hamstrung list, but Essendon have also improved with virtually identical list. Magpies by 18 points.

pies by 22
in worse news macpies ban seems to have been lifted
so expect some heavy trolling if my prediction comes true at about 5pm saturday

Lloyd and Lucas are the key here. Collingwood will win the midfield and probably have more possesion. so if we can have a high conversion rate with effiecient use of the ball in the middle, we will go very close to winning the game.

Lloyd and Lucas are the key here. Collingwood will win the midfield and probably have more possesion. so if we can have a high conversion rate with effiecient use of the ball in the middle, we will go very close to winning the game.

Best FF/CHF combo in the game. They just don't miss.

I actually think Lucas has gone past Lloyd as more dangerous. He gets more of the footy, mainly due to him covering more ground.

Battle of the midfields is crucial. Haven't beaten the Bombers twice in a season since 1997, I think.

This game goes along way for us, to secure a top 4 spot.

Best FF/CHF combo in the game. They just don't miss.

I actually think Lucas has gone past Lloyd as more dangerous. He gets more of the footy, mainly due to him covering more ground.

Battle of the midfields is crucial. Haven't beaten the Bombers twice in a season since 1997, I think.

This game goes along way for us, to secure a top 4 spot.

These days, it's actually Lloyd who covers more ground. We've seen Lloydy roaming as far as the full-back line and it isn't uncommon to see him on the wing.

Lucas tends to stay more planted and only occasionally moves out to open space for Lloyd, aside from that, it's mainly Lloydy accomodating Scotty.

It'll be interesting to see how Lucas and Lloyd go know that you raise it. It would seem Presti will go to Lloyd and O'Brien will go to Lucas given the good job he did on him on ANZAC Day. This leaves Wakelin loose and I'd expect him to come across whichever one of Lloyd or Lucas that is playing deep as much as possible. I'm also expecting him to try and counter Hille and Laycock pushing forward.

I think Lloyd will be more of a threat for the simple fact that he's got pace on Presti. If our midfield is able to get any half decent delivery to him, he'll kick goals. If he's left to wrestle, Presti will be in his element and it'll make Lloyd's task very difficult.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood hasn't beaten essendon twice in one season for a while, that is going to change tomorrow- essendon are not playing well, collingwood are.

Tipping the Pies by about 4 goals or so....

Lost two of their last three.

They're playing better than us, wouldn't see they are playing that well.

I still think that collingwood are going to beat us tomorrow, they have a bit more to play for(ladder positions - they would want to be as higher up the ladder as posible), yes I know we also have a bit to play for, making the 8 and supposedly being 1 game from top 4???, but they are going to be too strong.

I don't know why but Lucas always seems to struggle against Collingwood. This is really Lloyd's opportunity to get a bag, playing on Presti who has just had a while out, hopefully he is therefore not match fit.

Honestly, I don't see how we can win in short, they bat deep, we don't, that said we always lift for the second time around vs. Collingwood.

Essendon by 12 points despite all logic

Its only scores but I take heart out of Western Bulldogs being beaten by 75 and us 50 against Geelong.

Geelong was always in control against Collingwood last week, straight kicking we could steal it.

The minus is all this Sheedy question mark talk.

These type of games are always a lot closer than you expect. Realistically, on paper, its advantage Collingwood - but when it comes to game time - none of that really matters. All the pre-match talk goes out the window...its all about who wants it more on the day.

Personally, Essendon by 7 points. Should be an awesome game - glad i've got my ticket!

collingwoods last 8 rouns

WLWLWLWL ????? and to be honest i think that trend will continue, i jus cant see how we are going to win. Id love us to win dont get me wrong but i just cant see it happening.:(

Lost two of their last three.

They're playing better than us, wouldn't see they are playing that well.

That's true, Longy, but those losses were both by less than two goals against first and second on the ladder, and the win came against St Kilda who are playing pretty well at the moment. So our form is pretty good. And we'll also be fielding a stronger side today than we did in any of those matches.

So no excuses for the Pies today if they don't win.

EDIT: both losses by less than THREE goals.

That's true, Longy, but those losses were both by less than two goals against first and second on the ladder, and the win came against St Kilda who are playing pretty well at the moment. So our form is pretty good. And we'll also be fielding a stronger side today than we did in any of those matches.

So no excuses for the Pies today if they don't win.
You sure? To be Bryan worries me a hell of alot more than Richards. Presti is a solid defender but he probably isnt really needed with O'brien and Wakelin in. And Lonie whilst can hurt when he has the ball is soft as butter.

Early in the week I thought we were no chance.

Looking at the in's for the pies and I would say they are putting out there slowest side of the year.

They completely overran us in the first game so if we can halt that then we are in with a good show.

We'll need either Lucas or Lloyd to kick 5+ to win it.

I just can't see us running out the game as we have too many running players that are underdone and injured and I think we might get done by 30+.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back