Preview Round 1: Essendon vs Hawthorne, MCG, Saturday 16/03/24 @ 1:45 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre season:

Essendon: The Bombers got smashed by St Kilda in their first pre season outing but were much better against Geelong in the second. Darcy Parish had plenty of the ball with 34 disposals and a goal, whilst medium forward Kyle Langford kicked 3 goals in a nice head to head with Jack Henry

Hawthorne: Will update after their game

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 4-1 Hawthorne

Form Guide

Essendon: N/A
Hawthorne: N/A

Possible sides

Essendon vs Hawthorne

FB: Jarman Impey - Sam Frost - Jack Scrimshaw

FF: Matthew Guelfi - Peter Wright - Jake Stringer
HB: Josh Weddle - James Sicily - Karl Amon
HF: Jade Gresham- Kyle Langford - Jye Menzie
MF: Josh Ward - Jai Newcombe - Massimo D'Ambrosio
MF: Sam Durham - Will Setterfield - Xavier Duursma
HF: Dylan Moore - Mabior Chol - Bailey MacDonald
HB: Nic Martin - Zach Reid - Mason Redman
FF: Luke Breust - Mitchell Lewis - Jack Ginnivan
FB: Andrew McGrath - Ben McKay - Nik Cox
OB: Ned Reeves - James Worpel - Connor Nash
OB: Sam Draper - Darcy Parish - Zachary Merrett
IC: Blake Hardwick - Cameron MacKenzie - Campbell Hustwaite - Nick Watson
IC: Dyson Heppell - Jye Caldwell - Todd Goldatein - Matt Guelfi
TS: Jack Gunston
TS: Nick Hind

Hawthorne defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line last year kicked a goal on average 23.03% of the time it entered forward 50, slightly above the AFL average of 22.97%, which isn't surprising given they were around the middle of the table the entire year. Hawthorne's defence struggled most of the year, conceding a goal 25.41% of the time it entered their defensive 50, again not surprising given they were bottom 4 for most of the year. Within this area of the ground there'll be 3 match ups that catch the eye, Sam Frost against Peter Wright should favour the Dons whilst Hawkes captain James Sicily will likely challenge himself to quell the ever dangerous Jake Stringer and young talent Josh Weddle could get the job on Kyle Langford after his career best year

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon were 13th for contested possession difference last year and 12th for clearance difference last year. The Hawks batted well above their average in this regard though, finishing 6th and 7th in these stats respectively. Essendon will be hoping to get a full year out of Will Setterfield in the middle, the big midfielder vital defensively at a stoppage to allow the captain Zach Merrett and Darcy Parish to be more attacking through there. The Hawks big bodies of Jai Newcombe, James Worpel and Conor Nash will have the advantage inside with their size and strength, hence their strong showing on the contested side of the game. The wings will be an interesting battle, with former Don Massimo D'Ambrosio wanting to prove his former team made a mistake by not giving him gametime likely to go against Bomber new recruit Xavier Duursma, who has looked good in pre season so far.

Hawthorne forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defensive struggles were well documented over the past few years, last year conceding a goal 23.38% of the time it entered defensive 50, above the AFL average of 22.97%. The Hawks struggled offensively as well, kicking a goal 20.89% of the time it entered their forward 50. The big match up will be Mitch Lewis against Ben McKay, where the the big Hawk has struggled with at times, impressive by McKay considering how leaky North have been in his time.Mabior Chol at his third club will likely get 2020 top 10 draftee Zach Reid, who looks like he is finally fit and ready to go, whilst Jack Ginnivan may run into Andy McGrath, who has held him well in their past few head to heads.

Key stat

Essendon: Goals/inside 50. The Hawk defence is very leaky and the Dons have enough quality inside 50 to do damage there.

Hawthorne: Clearances. They need to dominate this part if they're any chance of winning the game.

Tip

* Hawthorne. We should beat them, and I think we will. Essendon by 22

Guys, I won't be able to do this most weeks, I was able to tonight and thought with silk not really around much in off season I'd do this one.

After seeing all players put their cases forward and injury to ridley

B mcgrath mckay Cox
Hb redman Reid Martin
C duursma parish tsatas
Hf Caldwell Jones gresham
Ff langford Wright Menzie
R Goldstein merrett setterfield
Ic durham stringer hind laverde
Sub perkins

Will be very disappointed if they rush heppell / Kelly in
I’d save draper for a few weeks let him build up his fitness

Thanks eth-dog for doing this weeks. I'm very much mostly a lurker in the offseason.

I was planning to do a preview for this one funny enough.. but it was mostly just going to be me complaining about this stupid "Opening Round" nonsense.

1709324540788.png

So I think yours is better, specially as I wasn't able to watch the praccy matches and only read the mostly negative reviews on this site.

I'm also more than happy to share it with you over the year; However you prefer to do it to, you can take the lead and then I'll cover when you can't do it or we can schedule them.

Thanks eth-dog for doing this weeks. I'm very much mostly a lurker in the offseason.

I was planning to do a preview for this one funny enough.. but it was mostly just going to be me complaining about this stupid "Opening Round" nonsense.

View attachment 1917400

So I think yours is better, specially as I wasn't able to watch the praccy matches and only read the mostly negative reviews on this site.

I'm also more than happy to share it with you over the year; However you prefer to do it to, you can take the lead and then I'll cover when you can't do it or we can schedule them.
Yeah dude I literally can't write em for the rest of the year. They're all yours

IMO round 1 fixturing is a bit of an anti climax for teams with the opening bye though it gives us a chance to dissect the team a bit more.

Not going to predict the team but would not be surprised to see Weid replace Jones.

Pre season:

Essendon: The Bombers got smashed by St Kilda in their first pre season outing but were much better against Geelong in the second. Darcy Parish had plenty of the ball with 34 disposals and a goal, whilst medium forward Kyle Langford kicked 3 goals in a nice head to head with Jack Henry

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 4-1 Hawthorne

Form Guide

Possible sides

Essendon vs Hawthorne

Essendon's forward line last year kicked a goal on average 23.03% of the time it entered forward 50, slightly above the AFL average of 22.97%, which isn't surprising given they were around the middle of the table the entire year. Hawthorne's defence struggled most of the year, conceding a goal 25.41% of the time it entered their defensive 50, again not surprising given they were bottom 4 for most of the year. Within this area of the ground there'll be 3 match ups that catch the eye, Sam Frost against Peter Wright should favour the Dons whilst Hawkes captain James Sicily will likely challenge himself to quell the ever dangerous Jake Stringer and young talent Josh Weddle could get the job on Kyle Langford after his career best year

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon were 13th for contested possession difference last year and 12th for clearance difference last year. The Hawks batted well above their average in this regard though, finishing 6th and 7th in these stats respectively. Essendon will be hoping to get a full year out of Will Setterfield in the middle, the big midfielder vital defensively at a stoppage to allow the captain Zach Merrett and Darcy Parish to be more attacking through there. The Hawks big bodies of Jai Newcombe, James Worpel and Conor Nash will have the advantage inside with their size and strength, hence their strong showing on the contested side of the game. The wings will be an interesting battle, with former Don Massimo D'Ambrosio wanting to prove his former team made a mistake by not giving him gametime likely to go against Bomber new recruit Xavier Duursma, who has looked good in pre season so far.

Essendon's defensive struggles were well documented over the past few years, last year conceding a goal 23.38% of the time it entered defensive 50, above the AFL average of 22.97%. The Hawks struggled offensively as well, kicking a goal 20.89% of the time it entered their forward 50. The big match up will be Mitch Lewis against Ben McKay, where the the big Hawk has struggled with at times, impressive by McKay considering how leaky North have been in his time.Mabior Chol at his third club will likely get 2020 top 10 draftee Zach Reid, who looks like he is finally fit and ready to go, whilst Jack Ginnivan may run into Andy McGrath, who has held him well in their past few head to heads.

Key stat

Essendon: Goals/inside 50. The Hawk defence is very leaky and the Dons have enough quality inside 50 to do damage there.

Hawthorne: Clearances. They need to dominate this part if they're any chance of winning the game.

Tip

Guys, I won't be able to do this most weeks, I was able to tonight and thought with silk not really around much in off season I'd do this one.
You've got Guelfi on field and on the bench. Is that non-dumb-banana-kick Guelfi on field, and banana-kick Guelfi on the bench? Or did you mean Alwyn on field?

I just want Davey selected.

You've got Guelfi on field and on the bench. Is that non-dumb-banana-kick Guelfi on field, and banana-kick Guelfi on the bench? Or did you mean Alwyn on field?

I just want Davey selected.
No Davey, probably move Hind onto the bench and Perkins sub

Pre season:

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 4-1 Hawthorne

Form Guide

Possible sides

Essendon vs Hawthorne

Midfield/rucks battle

Key stat

Tip

Thanks for posting this eth-dog.

There are more posters than rounds. Surely we can divi the season up and take collective responsibility? I'm happy to put my hand up to write one, as long as people don't mind the sub-par quality that I can bring, depending on how hammered I am at work 😭

Mods, can we arrange some kind of volunteer sign-up sheet and nominate a round? I'll take Dreamtime 😊

Its two weeks away so plenty of time for Shiel and Hobbs to be fit for this - hope they both come in…I’d be more cautious with Draper - and given the Goldy/2MP combination worked well I’d just stick with that at this stage. Hawks have a small forward line -we cant drop Reid or McKay so I feel like Laverde may miss this - Cox can play on a medium/small and has more pace & Hind has been good pre-season and is an option both in defence and attack. Hoping to see;-

Cox McKay McGrath
Redman Reid Martin
Durham Parish Duursma
Gresham Langford Shiel
2MP Stringer Guelfi

Goldy Setterfield Merrett

Bench: Caldwell Hobbs Hind Jones
SUB: Heppell

We really should be winning this game…comon Bombers…!!

Its two weeks away so plenty of time for Shiel and Hobbs to be fit for this - hope they both come in…I’d be more cautious with Draper - and given the Goldy/2MP combination worked well I’d just stick with that at this stage. Hawks have a small forward line -we cant drop Reid or McKay so I feel like Laverde may miss this - Cox can play on a medium/small and has more pace & Hind has been good pre-season and is an option both in defence and attack. Hoping to see;-

Cox McKay McGrath
Redman Reid Martin
Durham Parish Duursma
Gresham Langford Shiel
2MP Stringer Guelfi

Shiel hasn't trained most of pre-season (if not all?). I reckon he comes back through VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox McKay McGrath
Redman Reid Martin
Durham Parish Duursma
Gresham Langford Shiel
2MP Stringer Guelfi

Theyve already said Hobbs will come back in the early rounds, meaning he’ll likely miss r1. Then come back through the vfl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back