keen cats fella

Team Captain
Jan 29, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victoria Cricket, Aston V
From the GFC website (http://www.gfc.com.au/TheClub/Players/PlayerProfile/tabid/8137/playerid/15603/Default.aspx);

The towering ruckman known as the ‘Mummy from Bunyip’, he impressed in pre-season practice matches in 2007 to earn a spot on the VFL list. he played six games as the Cats went on to win the VFL flag. Won the best and fairest at Bunyip in 2006 and was runner up in the Ellinbank and District The towering ruckman known as the ‘Mummy from Bunyip’, he impressed in pre-season practice matches in 2007 to earn a spot on the VFL list. he played six games as the Cats went on to win the VFL flag. Won the best and fairest at Bunyip in 2006 and was runner up in the Ellinbank and District Football League medal.

I recall watching him in a few VFL games this year. He really did influence the games alot. I thought highly of his skills, and his mobility isn't bad.

Shane Mumford

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 41
Height: 200 cm
Weight: 102 kg
DOB: 5/7/1986
Recruited From: Bunyip
Default.aspx

Has anyone else got more info on him?

Re: Shane Mumford

Hi Guys,

I am a Hawks fan (at least you didnt beat us last year, thankfully we didnt play you once you got going), but thats irrelevent, I am also a member of Bunyip FC, so can tell you a little more about Shane.

His 6 games basically came down to the fact that Westy was on your list, and once Kingy came back to the two's they didn't want to play three ruckmen. He got very limited time, and did ok when he got the chance. He did also play in the VFL under 23 (or whatever it was) side for victoria, and also in the VCFL side.

Since last season he has dropped more weight. I am friends with his family and have seen first hand how he has improved his fitness.

He dominated the EDFL last year, as he should. Its not the strongest comp going around, but there are some strong sides, and he did stand out.

His last two years of local footy has seen him come on. Before that he carried too much weight.

He is a very very good tap ruckmen, can drop it anywhere around the circle and is rarely beaten (at this level anyhow).

His body is mature, he is not a bean poll type.

His second efforts are his strength. If he crashes a marking contest, more often than not, he is the one roving it and taking the ball away.

His marking is solid, but could be better in my opinion. Needs to take a cleaner one grab, especially when drifting across a pack. Dont get me wrong, he does this, but it would be better if he did it all the time (a.k.a Paul Salmon at his best).

His attitude is great. He did all the work since the end of last season and more or less forced his way back to Geelong to make them consider him again. They were suprised, and as such have taken a chance on him.

Remember, ruckmen take longer, he is 21 and is at least three years ahead of most 18 year olds as far as body maturity goes. Kruzer expected I guess.

I hope he goes well for you.

Cheers

Bards

Re: Shane Mumford

I don't know what the club saw in him during his limited VFL appearances, because I honestly didn't see much.

has your opinion changed at all geecat?? played a few senior games and had a good vfl season by all reports. anyone got any other info on him? is he still on the senior list? got a contract for next year?

Re: Rookie - Shane Mumford

I have noticed in the G-Addy that from time to time both Mumford and West have been named in KKP's on certain occasions. Are these players simply Ruckman or does anyone think that they have the ability to play AFL KPP in the future?

Please give your reasons "why" or "why not"

I have noticed in the G-Addy that from time to time both Mumford and West have been named in KKP's on certain occasions. Are these players simply Ruckman or does anyone think that they have the ability to play AFL KPP in the future?

Please give your reasons "why" or "why not"

well west no. the sides they name are incorrect most of the time. mumford has played key forward but wouldnt hack it at afl level i wouldnt think. maybe part time

i have Shane Mumford this season so i will start by giving you all an update of all the information i have on him so far.

The big fella had a really good season in 2008 which earnt him 2 or 3 games at afl level which is a great effort by a rookie.

he has some sort of leg injury at the moment as was reported in the paper not long ago when he was doing light skills away from the main group but im looking forward to watching the big guy go about his buisness this season.

He has been put on the list as the nominated rookie which means he gets payed wages as an afl player but cannot play in the afl until half way through the year so his aims will be to do all he can in the vfl, make sure he gets well ahead of trent west for that backup ruck spot and continue to try and make his away permantly on the senior list

Strengths: aggression, running for a big man and kicking for goal is quite good for someone of 200cm

Weaknesses: field kicking and hiss marking could improve imo

Make or break year for mummy. It will be either him or West on the list next year I feel.

Not really sure what to make of him, I think West has more potential.

Mumford's ankle that he rolled is coming along quite well and is back running again, He is looking quite fit and should be ready to play a couple of NAB games next year, IMO i think he will have a fantastic year seeing that he has only been in the system 12 months as he never played TAC Cup footy and not a very high standard of country footy.

I'm keen to see what Mumford will do this year. He has a hell of a lot of potential and could become a very good player. His second year will tell us more and another preseason will do him well. 2009 might see a batle for that number 2 ruck possie.

The big fella is going along quite well. Continues to shape his body (lose fat, build muscle) and is very keen for the season to get underway! Been working hard and is over a slight knee problem. Just going to give it everything bascially!

Anyone got an update on Big Mumfy?

I am one of the many cats fans hoping he can take Blakes spot in the team.

I like a ruckmen who gives you 110% effort and can crash a few packs. He doesn't have to be Polly Farmer with his ruckwork.

Lets see if he can hold down 2nd ruck vs Trent West first, reckoning Ottens might play tall forward rotation as well as ruck this year.
Anyway! opportunity beckons for a young ruckman for sure this year.

Meto.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets see if he can hold down 2nd ruck vs Trent West first, reckoning Ottens might play tall forward rotation as well as ruck this year.
Anyway! opportunity beckons for a young ruckman for sure this year.

Meto.

I hope ottens doesn't play as a tall forward as that was tried a few years ago and didn't work. Our quality of play in the last two years in some part has to do with Ottens leading our ruck division. Yes he can pinch hit up forward but should be considered a ruckman who can go forward not a forward who can ruck.

I hope ottens doesn't play as a tall forward as that was tried a few years ago and didn't work. Our quality of play in the last two years in some part has to do with Ottens leading our ruck division. Yes he can pinch hit up forward but should be considered a ruckman who can go forward not a forward who can ruck.

I fear that he might have too. We will need to rotate a third tall in the forward line during games, and that will be Otto. With Blake getting fitter and stronger he will spend more time on the ball.Otto will have to cover a lack of KPF until Hawkins is ready to play majority of game time.

VFL Practice Match 1/3/09 V Bendigo....Comment by Shake & Bake

Shane Mumford - someone asked before about his around the ground work and i reckon he would of got atleast 20 touches maybe less im not sure but he got a lot of the ball and hit some bodies with his hard aggression, really loved his game and should be a starter for next weeks game in the afl, dominated the ruck aswell although they didnt have any real opposition.

VFL Practice Match 7/3/9......special comments by Shake and Bake

Shane Mumford - love this UNIT! big man who i would not want hitting me with a hip and shoulder, loves contact and completely dominated his opponent today, did a fair bit around the ground again and also kicked a goal, it was noticeable when he wasnt in the ruck because big Dawson didnt play.

Ruckman Mumford pushes for senior call-up

Nick wade

March 2nd, 2009

EMERGING Geelong ruckman Shane Mumford yesterday did everything he could to enhance his chances of breaking into the Cats' NAB Cup semi-final team, VFL coach Dale Amos said.

Mumford controlled the ruck and loomed as a formidable presence around the ground as the VFL Cats surged to a runaway 47-point practice match victory against Bendigo at Skilled Stadium.

The 22-year-old rookie was one of a number of promising performers in Geelong's opening VFL hitout of the season, which showcased five of the club's newest players.

"He dominated the ruck, they probably weren't overly tall in their ruck stocks, but he did everything he needed to," Amos said.

"He competed really strongly in the ruck, he took marks around the ground and I think the way he played was encouraging for him to create an opportunity potentially to play as part of the NAB Cup.

Developing key forward Mitch Brown, the Cats' first selection in last year's national draft, kicked an early goal and dragged down a handful of contested marks.

Although looking comparatively lean to that of his opposition, the 18-year-old forward showed enough to get Amos excited about his potential.

"He certainly showed some signs, he's got some ability and it was good to see him take a couple of contested marks today, so he's going to be an exciting player," Amos said. "He will probably take a while to develop, he's obviously not as mature as some of the other guys, but he was pretty impressive.

Fellow draftee Tom Gillies was arguably the pick of the new kids, as he seemed to read the play well and rebound with purpose from half back.

Amos was impressed with the young key defender's attacking intent and his ability to win the contested situations.

"I thought he was good, I thought he set up our defence pretty well," he said. "His run and carry from down back was pretty impressive as well, and he won some really strong one-on-one contests, which is what we kind of know he's able to do, so I thought he was good also."

Scholarship rookie Ranga Ediriwickrama was busy around the stop-plays and enjoyed a little burst early in the third quarter, where he had the ball seemingly on a string.

"Ranga performed well, he got a lot of ball around the stoppage," Amos said. "And some areas we're working on with him - the run and carry - he's certainly improving with, so as he plays more he'll certainly get better."

Adam Donohue, who kicked two first-quarter goals appeared to have benefited from a solid pre-season.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/03/02/54531_gfc.html

Donohue looks pretty solid to me, I thought he was supposed to be a bit light-on for senior consideration!
Forget that idea.
Yeah Mumford looks a likely, might have to play a key post as well, possibly CHF. We'll see how Lonergan goes.
Don't know about Simpson seems a bit slow, early days but.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back