Rules with Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am slightly confused on the correct rules including rookies. Are they allowed to play if there are no long term injuries? Is there such thing as "nominated rookies" that are able to play during the season if there are no long term injuries? The main reason i ask is Colm Begley of the lions is on the rookie list but is in our best 22 and i'm confused on the ruling with him. So anyone who really knows there stuff, are you able to explain the rules involving rookies to me? When they can/can't play etc. Much appreciated.

I am slightly confused on the correct rules including rookies. Are they allowed to play if there are no long term injuries? Is there such thing as "nominated rookies" that are able to play during the season if there are no long term injuries? The main reason i ask is Colm Begley of the lions is on the rookie list but is in our best 22 and i'm confused on the ruling with him. So anyone who really knows there stuff, are you able to explain the rules involving rookies to me? When they can/can't play etc. Much appreciated.

Im as confused as you. I dont know why all 44 players on a AFL teams list cant be selected (obviously not all at the same time) if they are fit.

Nominated Rookies are Rookies that can play if you don't have 2 Veterans.For example at Geelong we only have Darren Milburn on the Vet List.We could've last year and this year chosen one of our Rookies to be our Nominated Rookie,which means they can play seniors anytime and don't have to wait for a longterm injury [8 or more weeks].

Nominated Rookies are Rookies that can play if you don't have 2 Veterans.For example at Geelong we only have Darren Milburn on the Vet List.We could've last year and this year chosen one of our Rookies to be our Nominated Rookie,which means they can play seniors anytime and don't have to wait for a longterm injury [8 or more weeks].

Right, so since the Lions only have one on the veteran list (Lappin) we are able to nominate colm?

But a team like Adelaide who has 3 or something can't have a nominated rookie? Therefore no rookies can play unless a long term injury?

Right, so since the Lions only have one on the veteran list (Lappin) we are able to nominate colm?

But a team like Adelaide who has 3 or something can't have a nominated rookie? Therefore no rookies can play unless a long term injury?

Yes, but actually it's even MORE complicated than that.

There are two types of veteran - "inside" and "outside". "Inside" veterans are included in the main list of 38 players. "Outside" veterans are on the supplementary list (for want of a better name), along with the rookies. Teams can have a maximum of 2 "outside" veterans, but there is no limit to the number of "inside" veterans. It is only "outside" veterans which affect a teams ability to nominate one or two rookies.

If the AFL had just one simple well organised sideline website dedicated to informing passionate fans (who want more than media hype) instead of JUST the Telstra Big Puddle advertising/ media rehash site(s):mad:

Then

you would be able to easily download & read the very very complicated rules re total list, salary cap , veteran and rookie list. I don't profess to know or understand it !

It probably is on a site somewhere ??? BUT if you really want to know email or ring the afl hq (or better your club) and ask them politely to send the rules to you.

Lethal will then probably ring you to see if you can explain it to him:D

My incomplete understanding is Begley actually can only play seniors if he replaces a long term injured player unless he has already been placed on the senior list.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200605/s1635280.htm
"The rule states that a rookie can only play senior football if he is elevated to the senior list to replace an injured player."

Forget about veterans. If you have a full list this is what happens (Collingwood have always had 2 outside veterans). From what I know with Collingwood, nominated rookies are those nominated to be eligible for selection after a long term injury.

DURING THE SEASON
- Someone is injured you can put them on the long term injury list (which means the player must miss a minimum of 12 weeks I think, unless it's 8)
- A rookie can be nominated to be eligible for selection while the player is injured

AFTER THE SEASON
- You can promote rookies to the senior list providing you have the list space prior to the national draft. Unless the rules have been changed most rookies (i.e. non-international non scholarship or anything) can only remain on a rookie list for 2 years before they have to be promoted or delisted.

*note Begley may be able to be promoted following the retirement of Beau McDonald

Now the questions I want to ask are:
1. Can rookies be nominated for selection without having to replace a long term injured (or retired) player if the club doesn't have a full list/2 veterans?

2. When the rookie is nominated for selection due to a LTI, is the rookie bound to that player? For example in Collingwood if Davis injures his knee for 12 weeks we promote Dyas. About 10 weeks later Rusling injures his knee for the year and we promote Macaffer for him. Davis' injury clears up by round 12. But we want Dyas to be the nominated player rather than Macaffer, are we allowed to have that flexibility or is he locked into Davis' injury and Macaffer into Rusling's injury, so to speak?

Now the questions I want to ask are:
1. Can rookies be nominated for selection without having to replace a long term injured (or retired) player if the club doesn't have a full list/2 veterans?

Yes. Note, applies only to "outside" veterans. "Inside" veterans have no bearing on nominated rookies.

2. When the rookie is nominated for selection due to a LTI, is the rookie bound to that player? For example in Collingwood if Davis injures his knee for 12 weeks we promote Dyas. About 10 weeks later Rusling injures his knee for the year and we promote Macaffer for him. Davis' injury clears up by round 12. But we want Dyas to be the nominated player rather than Macaffer, are we allowed to have that flexibility or is he locked into Davis' injury and Macaffer into Rusling's injury, so to speak?

Yes. LTI elevated rookies are tied directly to the player on the LTI list. They are only elevated for as long as it take for the senior listed player to come off the LTI list.

Yes, but actually it's even MORE complicated than that.

There are two types of veteran - "inside" and "outside". "Inside" veterans are included in the main list of 38 players. "Outside" veterans are on the supplementary list (for want of a better name), along with the rookies. Teams can have a maximum of 2 "outside" veterans, but there is no limit to the number of "inside" veterans. It is only "outside" veterans which affect a teams ability to nominate one or two rookies.

re These "outside" veterans

Does that mean they can only play if someone on the main list 38 is out injured? Or does it in effect mean such a club has 2 extra players?

re These "outside" veterans

Does that mean they can only play if someone on the main list 38 is out injured? Or does it in effect mean such a club has 2 extra players?

Effectively all clubs have 40 players available to play each week (subject to injuries & suspensions).

Of these, 38 are on the main list. This includes any "inside" veterans.

The remaining 2 players come from the supplementary list. There are 3 possible permutations:
  • 2 "outside" veterans
  • 1 "outside" veteran, 1 nominated rookie
  • 2 nominated rookies

Plus any rookies who have been elevated to replace players on the LTI list.

The idea of the "nominated rookie" is to ensure all teams have the same number of players available, ensuring teams without "outside veterans" are not disadvantaged.

Effectively all clubs have 40 players available to play each week (subject to injuries & suspensions).

Of these, 38 are on the main list. This includes any "inside" veterans.

The remaining 2 players come from the supplementary list. There are 3 possible permutations:
  • 2 "outside" veterans
  • 1 "outside" veteran, 1 nominated rookie
  • 2 nominated rookies
Plus any rookies who have been elevated to replace players on the LTI list.

The idea of the "nominated rookie" is to ensure all teams have the same number of players available, ensuring teams without "outside veterans" are not disadvantaged.

Thanks:thumbsu: Do you know where I/we can read up on this without having to ring afl?

So presumably at start of year the club choses?

edited now that I have read up on it Section 14 Page 22 for anyone else who wants to know!
Thanks Unbelievacow :)

Thanks:thumbsu: Do you know where I/we can read up on this without having to ring afl?

So presumably at start of year the club choses?

• 2 "outside" veterans ( because they are both required expected to play seniors?)
  • 1 "outside" veteran, 1 nominated rookie ( because one veteran is only expected to play ressies?)
  • 2 nominated rookies ( because both veterans are crap and on LSL and not expected to play seniors?)

The main reason why teams have less than two veterans is that they don't have enough players who qualify. Remember, veterans have to be 30+ years of age, with 10 years of service at the club. Clubs such as Carlton & West Coast don't have two players who meet these requirements.

Clubs may opt to have their veterans inside the list, rather than outside for other reasons. The contractual arrangements for rookies are different from those for senior listed players (ie rookies can be delisted after 1 year, senior listed players must have an initial 2-year contract). Most clubs generally opt to have their veterans outside the main list, however St Kilda have opted to have both of their veterans (Harvey & Hudghton) inside the list this year.

Both inside and outside veterans are eligible to play each week, as is the nominated rookie. It is only the non-nominated rookies who need to wait for a LTI to occur (and subsequent elevation) before they can play in the regular season.

The current status of each club's veterans is as follows:
Adelaide: 2 outside (Goodwin & McLeod)
Brisbane: 1 outside (Lappin)
Carlton: no veterans
Collingwood: 2 outside (Burns & Rocca), 1 inside (Prestigiacomo)
Essendon: 2 outside (Lloyd & Fletcher)
Fremantle: 1 outside (McManus)
Geelong: 1 outside (Milburn)
Hawthorn: 1 outside (Crawford)
North Melbourne: 2 outside (Simpson & Harvey)
Melbourne: 2 outside (Neitz & Yze), 1 inside (White)
Port Adelaide: 2 outside (Lade & Wilson)
Richmond: 2 outside (Bowden & Richardson)
St Kilda: 2 inside (Harvey & Hudghton)
Sydney: 2 outside (Barry & O'Loughlin)
West Coast: 1 outside (Braun)
Footscray: 2 outside (Johnson & West)

source

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back