Aussie Rules on Baseball grounds

Remove this Banner Ad

GoldbergsGold

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I wondering, if Aussie Rules were hypothetically to be expanded into The US, would baseball grounds suffice as an option to play on? They seem to get as long as the minimum required 135 metres in length, and some look as wide as the required 110 metres. GWS plays on a former baseball ground, and there was a exhibition VFL match played on a baseball ground in Japan in 1987.
f79dfadf18bb6344ac58be1008dd129f.jpg

They usually use baseball grounds to play Cricket in The US.
Look up Grand Prairie stadium in Texas and Central Broward Park in Florida.

They are dedicated cricket grounds that will be used for the world cup. If the AFL wanted to, footy could be played there. No need to do a half baked idea like play in a baseball stadium.

Look up Grand Prairie stadium in Texas and Central Broward Park in Florida.

They are dedicated cricket grounds that will be used for the world cup. If the AFL wanted to, footy could be played there. No need to do a half baked idea like play in a baseball stadium.
I know of those, but they're much smaller compacity venues and only in two Southern states. One US Cricket all stars game got out to 37,000, which exceeds those dedicated cricket venues capacity. The sport has been played on baseball grounds before, so it's not an alien concept, it's better than a much smaller Soccer or Gridiron field.

I know of those, but they're much smaller compacity venues and only in two Southern states. The sport has been played on baseball grounds before, so it's not an alien concept, it's better than a much smaller Soccer or Gridiron field.
Not sure what you are trying to argue. The capacity of those grounds is enough for curious Americans to come have a look. There is no way they need a 70000 seat baseball stadium.

Not sure what you are trying to argue. The capacity of those grounds is enough for curious Americans to come have a look. There is no way they need a 70000 seat baseball stadium.
That would only work in those Southern states, but not in states without dedicated Cricket grounds. Baseball grounds I believe are a much better option than Soccer grounds which some believe is the only alternative for some reason, ie AFLX expansion concept.

The US is co-hosting the cricket t20 world cup in six months time. It has cricket grounds already that footy could be played on.
I suspect these are closer to Indian cricket ground dimensions rather than Australian ones, mostly built for T20 and easy sixes, and therefore not suitable to professional level Australian Football. Australian grounds are huge by world standards, in playing area and crowd capacity, largely due to the AFL.

edit : Fort Lauderdale would be short, 153m fence to fence (140m goal to goal?). That is well within the laws of Australian Football but not really AFL sized. Docklands is around 170m long, 155m or so goal line to goal line.

I suspect these are closer to Indian cricket ground dimensions rather than Australian ones, mostly built for T20 and easy sixes, and therefore not suitable to professional level Australian Football. Australian grounds are huge by world standards, in playing area and crowd capacity, largely due to the AFL.

edit : Fort Lauderdale would be short, 153m fence to fence (140m goal to goal?). That is well within the laws of Australian Football but not really AFL sized. Docklands is around 170m long, 155m or so goal line to goal line.
I think The SCG is the shortest length at 153 metres, baseball grounds can get to around 140 metres in length if you include the backstop. 135 metres is the bare minimum required length.

I wondering, if Aussie Rules were hypothetically to be expanded into The US, would baseball grounds suffice as an option to play on? They seem to get as long as the minimum required 135 metres in length, and some look as wide as the required 110 metres. GWS plays on a former baseball ground, and there was a exhibition VFL match played on a baseball ground in Japan in 1987.
View attachment 1886131
Well we play AFL at the Cattery, so anything is possible... ;)

The national t20 comp over there took off. Bigger crowds than they were expecting.

I'm curious as to the crowd demographics though, as I would assume the majority were of subcontinent or Caribbean heritage, so it's part of their cultural background. Would like to know what other Americans thought. Regardless, it's good see it do so well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would only work in those Southern states, but not in states without dedicated Cricket grounds. Baseball grounds I believe are a much better option than Soccer grounds which some believe is the only alternative for some reason, ie AFLX expansion concept.
I’m not sure why you are dismissing the T20 World Cup venues like they’re located in some kind of ‘Southern backwater states’.

Grand Prairie and Central Broward Stadium are located in the Dallas and Miami metro areas. Texas and Florida are the second and third most populous US states, so that could present a wonderful opportunity.

Hopefully the World Cup is a raging success and it stimulates further interest in the sport and investment in these venues. I don’t think the players would need too much convincing to have a trip to Miami for an exhibition game.

I’m not sure why you are dismissing the T20 World Cup venues like they’re located in some kind of ‘Southern backwater states’.

Grand Prairie and Central Broward Stadium are located in the Dallas and Miami metro areas. Texas and Florida are the second and third most populous US states, so that could present a wonderful opportunity.

Hopefully the World Cup is a raging success and it stimulates further interest in the sport and investment in these venues. I don’t think the players would need too much convincing to have a trip to Miami for an exhibition game.
Dallas and Miami are located in The Southern states, what was incorrect about my statement?

What I was talking about was other places other than those 2 Southern states in The US potentially hosting Aussie Rules matches, since there's 48 other states, and there's the East, West and North areas to also consider. Also, when they played The Cricket All Stars game in Texas, they did not use Grand Prairie Stadium, they used a baseball ground.

And the main question is would anyone else think Baseball grounds would make a good alternative? Because they are as long as the required 135 metres and can get wider than 110 metres, and can hold 20K plus as Canadian and Japanese exhibition matches did in the past. I also think it's a much better alternative than either a Soccer field or Gridiron field as I've read people think is the only alternative for some reason.

Last edited:
Dallas and Miami are located in The Southern states, what was incorrect about my statement?

What I was talking about was other places other than those 2 Southern states in The US potentially hosting Aussie Rules matches, since there's 48 other states, and there's the East, West and North areas to also consider. Also, when they played The Cricket All Stars game in Texas, they did not use Grand Prairie Stadium, they used a baseball ground.

And the main question is would anyone else think Baseball grounds would make a good alternative? Because they are as long as the required 135 metres and can get wider than 110 metres, and can hold 20K plus as Canadian and Japanese exhibition matches did in the past. I also think it's a much better alternative than either a Soccer field or Gridiron field as I've read people think is the only alternative for some reason.
California and New York would be nice too, but Texas and Florida are pretty good places to start.

Oval fields are clearly the best option. I do agree with you though that baseball fields could provide a decent alternative. There’s no point in pissing about with rectangular fields, it’s not how our game is played.

I saw those old clips you showed. My query is whether stadium management would be as precious about looking after baseball fields as curators of cricket pitches in other countries? I have heard their reluctance to have anything other than cricket played at their venues makes it hard for us to stage games in other cricketing nations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back