Best online video to introduce someone to Aussie Rules?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey all.

I've just started a new job, where my boss is Spanish (in Spain), and all of my colleagues are from Europe or the Americas. In a team meeting, I discovered none of them had heard of Aussie Rules, so went looking for a video online which would serve as a basic introduction to the game (not the rules, just the vibe).

Most of the videos I found on YouTube or Daily Motion or Vimeo were either specific (goals, marks, biffo) or seemed to have meaning for people already familiar with the game (eg fans running onto the ground for 100 / 1000 goals, or the lights going out at Waverley). Admittedly, I spent not a huge amount of time here, maybe 30 minutes, including checking out some of the more promising leads.

So my question to the teeming masses here on BF: has anyone here got any online videos they've used to introduce the game to overseas folks who have never heard of it?

Cheers,
P

Hey all.

I've just started a new job, where my boss is Spanish (in Spain), and all of my colleagues are from Europe or the Americas. In a team meeting, I discovered none of them had heard of Aussie Rules, so went looking for a video online which would serve as a basic introduction to the game (not the rules, just the vibe).

Most of the videos I found on YouTube or Daily Motion or Vimeo were either specific (goals, marks, biffo) or seemed to have meaning for people already familiar with the game (eg fans running onto the ground for 100 / 1000 goals, or the lights going out at Waverley). Admittedly, I spent not a huge amount of time here, maybe 30 minutes, including checking out some of the more promising leads.

So my question to the teeming masses here on BF: has anyone here got any online videos they've used to introduce the game to overseas folks who have never heard of it?

Cheers,
P
Just show them the biggest point of difference, the marks.
I wouldn't show them the typical top 50 marks (as I find no. 3 a highly embarrassing example of what a mark is not).
Perhaps this one though:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you are saying that Mason Cox doesn't understand the game he is playing?
If you're a talented sportsman and there's the hook of potentially earning $500K per year to play it, there's an incentive to learn the game (and how many hours do you reckon he invested to do so?)

As a casual observer, no chance.

If you're a talented sportsman and there's the hook of potentially earning $500K per year to play it, there's an incentive to learn the game (and how many hours do you reckon he invested to do so?)

As a casual observer, no chance.

I tend to agree and I think we tried it already in the USA in the 80's and they weren't impressed. Nor should they be. Their athletes are bigger, stronger and faster.

I think we have also tried China but it was a failed endeavour.

Rugby will always have the international pull. Obviously can't go past soccer or basketball which are played by all nations around the globe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back